Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase United Explorer Card

There are several personal versions of the United Airlines card and a Business Card option as well.

Information on the checked luggage benefit can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...gage-fees.html
Print Wikipost

Chase United Explorer card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Chase United Explorer card

Annual fee just hit on this for me. I also have the Quest card, which generally seems better, even with the higher fee. Is there any reason to keep the old $95 basic card open, or should I just close it?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by rbw5t
Annual fee just hit on this for me. I also have the Quest card, which generally seems better, even with the higher fee. Is there any reason to keep the old $95 basic card open, or should I just close it?
Only reason I can think of is if you find the 2 UC passes worth $95.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Does anyone here feel the Chase Aeroplan card is better? I don't understand why none of the Chase UA cards have a grocery multiplier.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Is XN space a published benefit of the card or a published benefit of the MP program? [snip]

Actually I do also see that CPUs on Award Tickets is also a published benefit of the Explorer card, but as a lowly Gold going to Silver next year, that's probably irrelevant to me as well.
What are the odds of a MP member with no status EVER getting a CPU? Slim to none?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
What are the odds of a MP member with no status EVER getting a CPU? Slim to none?
Depending on the route?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Oddly enough, I've seen someone with no status get upgraded EWR-IAD during peak travel period (Thanksgiving?) back in 2019 or so. They had Premier Access on their boarding pass and somehow CPU'ed ahead of everyone else.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Can't say it's never happened, but it's certainly not a published benefit, even for Explorer cardmembers.

Oddly enough, I've seen someone with no status get upgraded EWR-IAD during peak travel period (Thanksgiving?) back in 2019 or so. They had Premier Access on their boarding pass and somehow CPU'ed ahead of everyone else.
Possible it was someone upgrading with miles or a sponsored instrument upgrade?
Old Jan 3, 2022, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by econ
Possible it was someone upgrading with miles or a sponsored instrument upgrade?
Oh yeah, I suppose that could be the case (sponsored on instrument). From what I can recall, they seemed pretty inexperienced, but maybe old enough to be someone's grandparent.

End of year, maybe someone in the family had RPUs to burn? Or were PlusPoints already a thing by that point?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really don't think you're going to see that on a transcon.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:20 am

End of year, maybe someone in the family had RPUs to burn? Or were PlusPoints already a thing by that point?
I believe most of 2019 was still GPU/RPUs.

Not uncommon for GS especially, and some 1K to have excess instruments to burn toward the end of the year. Probably a lot more common now with the advent of PlusPoints and the abundance of them in circulation due to expirations extended, skew towards domestic travel, etc.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:31 am

[gon]

Last edited by beltway; Apr 17, 2024 at 9:32 am
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
I know it has been discussed before....
Discussed in 2016 , and the conclusion is that the passes are still valid. (Start at post 17 if the link does not work)
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by mia
Discussed in 2016 , and the conclusion is that the passes are still valid. (Start at post 17 if the link does not work)
This definitely worked when they issued physical passes. But now they issue electronic passes, and when I closed the card around a year ago, the passes disappeared from my UA account by the next day.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by econ
This definitely worked when they issued physical passes. But now they issue electronic passes, and when I closed the card around a year ago, the passes disappeared from my UA account by the next day.
A post in the thread on the Chase UA business card reports a similar experience in 2018.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rbw5t
I currently have both cards. As others have mentioned, the 2 free passes are nice. Also, if you're really chasing status, you can get PQP from both cards.
If you don't care about those benefits, there's really no reason to keep the card. Instead of canceling, you can always downgrade your Explorer card to the 0 AF Gateway card and keep it open, especially if it's a positive credit line that has been open for a log time. That way, if the Explorer card makes some change to become appealing, or some future United card becomes available that is appealing, you can just upgrade back into it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.