Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: Chase Sapphire PREFERRED rewards refresh, 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2021, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
CAUTION: Chase has replaced the document linked in post 1 with an older version, suggesting that it was published prematurely. The final document could be different.
Print Wikipost

Confirmed: Chase Sapphire PREFERRED rewards refresh, 2021

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2021, 11:09 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Do we know for sure if Chase is automatically sending new cards to existing card holders? I don't even have a contactless version of the CSP, but I plan to start using it more now that it gets me 3x on dining. I don't want to order one if they will send one anyway.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Adelphos
CSR seems like an awesome card nowadays if you book a lot of Airbnb/VRBO/Expedia/Priceline/independent hotels, use a lot of Uber/Lyft, redeem via the travel portal or pay yourself back, and eat out at a lot of restaurants. That type of customer is very different than the original customer the card seemed to attract (all about points, lounges, etc), but no cards right now are really providing anything more than 2x on “general travel” like CSR is, and very few offer a 1.5 cent cash back easily.
As the original target demographic for the CSR seemed to be "Urban 30-somethings with good incomes who like to travel," I don't see any misalignment. That age group are more likely to use Airbnb/VRBO/OTAs/independent hotels than older travelers, and use Uber/Lyft routinely even around town.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone had experiences on online orders from specialty meat grocers such as White Oak (they have Iberico Pork) or Wild Fork?

I wonder if those would earn 3x?
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Happy
Has anyone had experiences on online orders from specialty meat grocers such as White Oak (they have Iberico Pork) or Wild Fork?

I wonder if those would earn 3x?
If you've purchased from them before, how were they coded then? My understanding is anything coded "grocery" and purchased online should qualify. I just checked HelloFresh and Misfits Market (which we get every week) and they should count - we shall see.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by strickerj
[...] My understanding is anything coded "grocery" and purchased online should qualify. [...]
I assume you are referring to the category that appears on the line with the charge when viewed on the web site. If so, then maybe. A purchase from The Crumpet Shop in Seattle showed as Restaurant, but earned 1x on SR. Chase said it was a bakery, which is apparently a subset of restaurant that does not qualify as dining. The takeaway is that the determining factor is a code that does not appear on the list of charges on the web site.

If you're referring to something that appears on the statement itself, please tell me more.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by serpens
I assume you are referring to the category that appears on the line with the charge when viewed on the web site. If so, then maybe. A purchase from The Crumpet Shop in Seattle showed as Restaurant, but earned 1x on SR. Chase said it was a bakery, which is apparently a subset of restaurant that does not qualify as dining. The takeaway is that the determining factor is a code that does not appear on the list of charges on the web site.

If you're referring to something that appears on the statement itself, please tell me more.
Hmm, that prompted me to check, and it looks like that category that shows on the online summary might not be what counts... Click the transaction, and in the info will be "Merchant type". Misfits coded as "grocery stores and supermarkets", while HelloFresh coded as "Convenience stores and specialty markets", even though both were listed as "Grocery" on the summary page. (I guess that's just for your own reference since you can actually change it.) In that case, I wouldn't be surprised if the former gets the bonus but the latter doesn't.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Hmm, that prompted me to check, [...]
Well, thanks for that. I'll visit the Chase web site later and I'll "click the transaction" this time. I don't recall seeing the further breakdown that you mention. It sounds like there is more information available than I had assumed. Thanks.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by serpens
Well, thanks for that. I'll visit the Chase web site later and I'll "click the transaction" this time. I don't recall seeing the further breakdown that you mention. It sounds like there is more information available than I had assumed. Thanks.
​​​​​​Just an FYI, I was on the mobile app, but the same info should be on the desktop site.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you've purchased from them before, how were they coded then? My understanding is anything coded "grocery" and purchased online should qualify. I just checked HelloFresh and Misfits Market (which we get every week) and they should count - we shall see.
I have not ordered from them. Or in Wild Fork case they have physical stores - while I have browsed their stores (one is very near home) I have not purchased from them yet. Now I start looking at some specialty meats as well as fishes, I think about the implication how this new CSP earning category would work. For example, ordering from Fulton Fish Market from NYC, how would it be coded?
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 3:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

​​​​​​Just an FYI, I was on the mobile app, but the same info should be on the desktop site.
And it was. I had actually navigated to the pane with that information before, but for other reasons, and had ignored it. Thanks for pointing it out.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by WasKnown
The CSP is now the cheapest card that offers 3x back on dining with no FTF. For that reason alone, it will probably be used physically more often than not.

Technically, it actually has the highest year-round dining earning out of Chase's UR portfolio as it earns 3.1x in practice.
The Citi Costco card has no annual fee (requires Costco membership) and offers 3x back on dining with no FTF.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jmlinden7
The Citi Costco card has no annual fee (requires Costco membership) and offers 3x back on dining with no FTF.
3x as in a flexible point currency, not 3% cash back. These aren’t the same thing.

CSP on dining = 3.75% back through PYB or chase travel portal (or more with transfer partners)
Costco = 3% CB

There are other 3% CB dining cards with no FTF, AF, or requirement to buy a $60/year Costco membership like the C1 SavorOne. But the CSP outearns all of them.

For me, UR is strictly a Hyatt machine and I value Hyatt points (with lack of liquidity, willingness to pay, etc factored in) conservatively at 1.5 cents each.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 9:57 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Not to mention the Costco card only lets you redeem cash back once a year.
cuthroat, IndyHoosier and WasKnown like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 4:23 pm

Hi all - thank you advance for the help! In light of the recent changes to the two Sapphire cards, I am planning on canceling my CSR and applying for the CSP, as its a more attractive card now and to get the 100k sign up bonus.

But I did have two questions:
  1. I had CSP a long time ago (first signed up in 2012 and got the sign up bonus), but downgraded to Chase Freedom Unlimited around ~Q4 2016 when CSR came out. Does the fact that I already had CSP in the past make me ineligible for the 100k bonus that's available now?
    • I read the fine print for CSP, and it just says not available to: 1) current holders of a Sapphire card (which I'm planning to cancel); and 2) previous Sapphire card holders that got a sign up bonus within the last 48 months (which I'm well past). So I think I'd be eligible for the CSP sign up bonus this time around. But wanted to confirm with the experts on the forum.
    • FYI no issues with the 5/24 rule either.
  2. Once I've canceled my CSR, how long should I wait before applying for the CSP (given "no current holders of a Sapphire card" fine print)?
Once again, thank you. It is much appreciated.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by db729
Hi all - thank you advance for the help! In light of the recent changes to the two Sapphire cards, I am planning on canceling my CSR and applying for the CSP, as its a more attractive card now and to get the 100k sign up bonus.

But I did have two questions:
  1. I had CSP a long time ago (first signed up in 2012 and got the sign up bonus), but downgraded to Chase Freedom Unlimited around ~Q4 2016 when CSR came out. Does the fact that I already had CSP in the past make me ineligible for the 100k bonus that's available now?
    • I read the fine print for CSP, and it just says not available to: 1) current holders of a Sapphire card (which I'm planning to cancel); and 2) previous Sapphire card holders that got a sign up bonus within the last 48 months (which I'm well past). So I think I'd be eligible for the CSP sign up bonus this time around. But wanted to confirm with the experts on the forum.
    • FYI no issues with the 5/24 rule either.
  2. Once I've canceled my CSR, how long should I wait before applying for the CSP (given "no current holders of a Sapphire card" fine print)?
Once again, thank you. It is much appreciated.
1. No problem, you're good.
2. 30 days if you cancel, 4 days if you downgrade to one of the Freedoms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.