FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Confirmed: Chase Sapphire PREFERRED rewards refresh, 2021 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2045981-confirmed-chase-sapphire-preferred-rewards-refresh-2021-a.html)

WasKnown Jul 6, 2021 6:49 pm

Confirmed: Chase Sapphire PREFERRED rewards refresh, 2021

FYI

https://static.chasecdn.com/content/...A0444_0477.pdf

CSP Changes:
- 5x points on travels booked through UR Portal
- 3x points on categories: restaurants; select streaming services; online grocery (excluding Target®, Walmart® and wholesale clubs).

- 10% anniversary points bonus: 10% of USD amount spent- $50 Annual Hotel Credit, on hotel bookings made through the UR portal

Seems like changes go in effect August 15? Perhaps a new AF?

mia Jul 6, 2021 7:11 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by WasKnown (Post 33386299)
- 10% anniversary points bonus: 10% of USD amount spent-

This revives a feature of the original Sapphire Preferred feature set. It was 7%.

Here is a copy of the PDF document which was subsequently removed from the Chase site:

WasKnown Jul 6, 2021 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 33386327)
This revives a feature of the original Sapphire Preferred feature set. It was 7%.

Wow! I think I read about that and the 3% fridays.

Doesn’t this mean the CSP would outearn the CSR on dining as both get 3x back but the CSP has the 10% bonus?

Also, do LHR stays count as bookings made through the Chase travel portal? Any info on if LHR stays are elite qualifying?

t1c Jul 6, 2021 7:49 pm

hmmmm....

LAX Jul 6, 2021 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by WasKnown (Post 33386299)
FYI

https://static.chasecdn.com/content/...A0444_0477.pdf

CSP Changes:
- 5x points on travels booked through UR Portal
- 3x points on categories: restaurants; select streaming services; online grocery (excluding Target®, Walmart® and wholesale clubs).

- 10% anniversary points bonus: 10% of USD amount spent- $50 Annual Hotel Credit, on hotel bookings made through the UR portal

Seems like changes go in effect August 15? Perhaps a new AF?

It would be too good to be true without raising the AF.

LAX

WrightHI Jul 6, 2021 11:06 pm

A grocery category would be useful. Online grocery, not so much. I guess Chase thinks that’s enough for the customers they’re targeting.

lsquare Jul 7, 2021 5:20 am

Originally Posted by WrightHI (Post 33386761)
A grocery category would be useful. Online grocery, not so much. I guess Chase thinks that’s enough for the customers they’re targeting.

I would have preferred a grocery category. The CSP is starting to look like a better card in terms of value than the CSR.

Chris2013 Jul 7, 2021 7:11 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 33387200)
I would have preferred a grocery category. The CSP is starting to look like a better card in terms of value than the CSR.

I agree...I find the CSP much more appealing than the CSR and even though I'm assuming the AF will be increased probably to $150, it still gives me a better value proposition than the CSR particularly with the 10% anniversary bonus and $50 hotel credit.

Sort of surprised they didn't add one of those items to the CSR?

I hate OTA portals for booking anything as it's much easier to deal directly with airlines/hotels so I find the bonus categories for those virtually worthless.

Adelphos Jul 7, 2021 7:46 am

Looks like I will have to start carrying my Chase Sapphire Preferred again (almost all of my Chase spending went to the Freedom cards after their refreshes)

Adelphos Jul 7, 2021 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Chris2013 (Post 33387418)
Sort of surprised they didn't add one of those items to the CSR?

CSR is a money loser, I don’t think they want to add too many costly benefits to the card

Beltway2A Jul 7, 2021 8:00 am

Originally Posted by WrightHI (Post 33386761)

I already get 4x on Grocery and Dining via Amex, but many online grocery delivery providers are excluded. This is perfect for me. Depending on what the "select streaming services are" this would be a decent benefit expansion, especially if it doesn't entail a fee increase.

N104UA Jul 7, 2021 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 33387507)
CSR is a money loser, I don’t think they want to add too many costly benefits to the card

I know that I have read this many times, however Chase doesn't give CSR cardholders any incentive to switch to the CSP, if Chase let me apply for the CSP (or downgrade) and get the sign up bonus I would be all over that. If they are giving 100k points for new cardholders and it is clear they don't want many people on CSR why not incent existing CSR cardholder to downgrade. Really my option now is to downgrade my CSR to a freedom then wait for another CSP 100k signup bonus. .

TTT103 Jul 7, 2021 9:30 am

I would guess the annual fee may increase to $149, but there are a plethora of cards offered at $95, so not sure if that would make sense from a business standpoint. Only time will tell.

I'm debating if I should apply for it now with the 100K offer, or try my luck and wait until August 15th.

Super Mario Jul 7, 2021 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 33387507)

Why do you keep on toting this? Are we still leaning on an article from 4 1/2 years ago where everyone and their mother signed up for the 100k offer and stacked available credits? It was too much, too quickly. Much has changed. They obviously still believe heavily in this card.

The 10% anniversary bonus is nice. Pretty clearly an attempt to stop the bleeding on an extremely high cancel rate.

Cardshark959 Jul 7, 2021 10:15 am

I'm going to add the CSP...given the recent speculation about upcoming improved benefits, is there any benefit to waiting to sign up, or should I jump on the 100k signup bonus now while it's still there? Did some searching on other forums and don't believe this has been discussed yet. Much appreciated.