Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Chase Sapphire Reserve worth $550?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2021, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Annual fee is coming up on 9/1. Am I understanding correctly that I can cancel my CSR and then apply for the CSP and still receive a bonus? I applied for the CSR in 08/2016 and received the bonus in 11/2016.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by awu25
Annual fee is coming up on 9/1. Am I understanding correctly that I can cancel my CSR and then apply for the CSP and still receive a bonus? I applied for the CSR in 08/2016 and received the bonus in 11/2016.
Yes. But I was advised here that you need to wait one month after canceling to apply for the CSP.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 1:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Yes. But I was advised here that you need to wait one month after canceling to apply for the CSP.
You can product change to CFU/CFF and reapply after 4 days.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
What?! And lose the Freedom sign up bonus? I can wait a month.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 5:46 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
You will get that SUB, but use up a 5/24 slot. If you are at 1/24, then it is not an issue. But if you are at 4/24, you may want to evaluate that against other SUBs you can get.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 5:59 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
The Chase Freedom SUB is worth $680 for $12.5K spend. Not worth it for a Chase 5/24 slot. Even the United Quests 2-tier offer has a better return on spend than that.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 7:36 am

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Originally Posted by WasKnown
The Chase Freedom SUB is worth $680 for $12.5K spend. Not worth it for a Chase 5/24 slot. Even the United Quest’s 2-tier offer has a better return on spend than that.
I agree it's a very high spending requirement but it should be 20k+60k=80k UR points and with PYB via CSR it can be worth $1200 (I used it all on PYB) or can be worth at least 1280 or more if used on Hyatt points.
Though, you are absolutely right that there are better offers. (if eligible) To me for a no-AF card the CFU offer is quite good and probably one of the better no-AF offers. I also got a few extra points since base earning rate is 1.5%x1.5=2.25% with PYB.
I would not compare CFU against Quest or CSP as those are AF cards...IMO not a fair comparison. If eligible why not get both to maximize the benefits....
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by sdix
On a trip to Denver last week there were no Uber or Lyfts available from DEN. I had to take a Taxi. First time in a long time but I survived! Payment was always a huge issue for me with traditional cabs but this one took CC's and Apple pay via Square so it was almost refreshing to use.
I too also don't like taking Taxi; they always want cash as payment (and me want to use CC for the points). My most recent Taxi was early June and the driver gave a "dirty" look when I wanted to pay by CC; he lost his tip.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yjc281
I would not compare CFU against Quest or CSP as those are AF cards...IMO not a fair comparison. If eligible why not get both to maximize the benefits....
Because you have only have 5 5/24 slots so each card has a concrete opportunity cost. For that return on spend, you're better off getting the no AF Ink Business cards that don't cost you a 5/24 slot. I don't think it's an innately terrible path if you choose to go with it. But taking Freedom SUBs is definitely not optimal (which is why most people product change to it).
Old Aug 19, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Polytonic
You can product change to CFU/CFF and reapply after 4 days.
Realized I don't have the flexibility of canceling CSR as it is my only Chase card
So if I downgrade my CSR to Chase Freedom today, I can apply for the CSP in 4 days and still be eligible for the bonus?

Also, my wife recently got the CSP in June and received the 100k bonus in July. She got an email about referring people for 20k each. Would anything prevent her from referring me to the CSP so she gets an extra 20k?
Old Aug 19, 2021, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by awu25

Also, my wife recently got the CSP in June and received the 100k bonus in July. She got an email about referring people for 20k each. Would anything prevent her from referring me to the CSP so she gets an extra 20k?
Nope, this is totally ok. The in-branch offer got nerfed from no AF year 1 + $50 grocery credit to just no AF year 1. Even if your wife gets issued a 1099 for the referral points she earns, the referral deal is still better than the current in-branch offer.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EdofFX
You will get that SUB, but use up a 5/24 slot. If you are at 1/24, then it is not an issue. But if you are at 4/24, you may want to evaluate that against other SUBs you can get.
I'm fine.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WasKnown
The Chase Freedom SUB is worth $680 for $12.5K spend. Not worth it for a Chase 5/24 slot. Even the United Quests 2-tier offer has a better return on spend than that.
Got the Freedom Flex. 20K after $500 spend. No biggie. (And got a fellow Flyertalker a referral bonus as well.)
Old Aug 19, 2021, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I'm considering downgrading my CSR to CSP before Oct 1 when the annual fee will post. But I purchased a flight that departs in November. If I downgrade my card before the trip, will I lose the travel insurance (cancellation and interruption) for this trip?
Old Aug 20, 2021, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

The Preferred still has insurance, but under slightly different terms (12 hour delay instead of 6, for example). I imagine you'd be covered under the new terms, not the old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.