Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Changes to Freedom and Unlimited, new Freedom Flex card & strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changes to Freedom and Unlimited, new Freedom Flex card & strategies

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pallhedge
It's not likely IMO that product change from Visa to MasterCard will be possible. Time will tell.
The blog articles linked in the first post say: Existing cardmembers can choose whether to keep their Chase Freedom or product change to the Chase Freedom Flex Assuming this was fed to the bloggers by Chase it sounds as if there is a conversion path, BUT I do not think that means there is necessarily a downgrade path from other VISA products to Flex MasterCard.
Happy likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
It's not likely IMO that product change from Visa to MasterCard will be possible. Time will tell.
Product change between Visa and MC is not an issue as long as you stay within the same product families (e.g. can’t PC between co-brand and Chase branded cards or between different co-branded cards.)
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by blaz
This. I got burned by Expedia and had to fight tooth and nail to finally get a refund. I swore I would never again use an OTA for any booking, be it Chase Travel (Expedia) or Amex Travel (Orbitz nee Expedia). While 5x UR for booking through Chase Travel is nice (and weird, considering CSR is only 3x), I will not bite. The potential rewards are not worth the hassle of dealing with Expedia.
I agree after what Chase Travel(Expedia) put me thru with 2 tkts and all the LIES I was told, in the end got my refunds.

That said although theres an AF I have an Ink card that gives 5X up to $50Ka year at office supply . So after each Freedom statement closes I move the pts to my Ink 4x a year when they have the quarterly 5x promo,and going forward will transfer to either Hyatt or an Airline
Old Sep 3, 2020, 10:12 am
RNE

... and leave your $300 travel credit that would reset in December on the table? That would be unfortunate.
But I can only get that $300 credit in December if I pay for another AF in October. And I don't want to do that because in my case it's $450+75=$525 because my wife is an AU, which she needs to be since she's a traveling sales rep who puts a ton of travel and dining spend (OPM) on the card, whereas I don't. (Yes, in hindsight it would've made more sense for her to be the cardholder.)

I should note that I have an Ink Preferred card. I could make her an AU on that to get the 3x for travel. She has a CFU, so she can get 3x on dining.

Applying for 2 cards on the same day has been high risk for card closure by Chase even after approval. Please wait until at least the day after.
Yeah, I've heard that, but I also heard that same-day applications generate only one hard pull. Still, you make a good point. A shutdown is way worse than an extra hard pull.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
And if your Freedom card is 6 years old, you wouldn't fall into the 24 month rule anyway even if that was an issue.
True but I already have five Chase cards and I don't need a CF if I'm applying for a CFF.

OK, now that you've thoroughly confused me here's my new plan:
  • Today: Cancel my CF
  • Sept 15: Apply for CFF
  • October: Cancel CSR
  • October: Add wife as AU on my INK
  • December/January: Apply for CSP
Old Sep 3, 2020, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by RNE
But I can only get that $300 credit in December if I pay for another AF in October
...and after you use your $300 travel credit in December, immediately downgrade your CSR and you'll get most of that AF credited back. It'll cost you <$150 for that $300 travel credit. That's a pure arbitrage in my world.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RNE
True but I already have five Chase cards and I don't need a CF if I'm applying for a CFF.

OK, now that you've thoroughly confused me here's my new plan:
  • Today: Cancel my CF
I still don’t understand why you’re cancelling the original Freedom. Everything to date says you can have both that and the CFF. You LOVE UR points, why get rid of a soon to be grandfathered card that earns up to 30k pts a year in 5x categories?! Which I might remind you is more than the measly sign up bonus on the CFF
Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I still don’t understand why you’re cancelling the original Freedom. Everything to date says you can have both that and the CFF. You LOVE UR points, why get rid of a soon to be grandfathered card that earns up to 30k pts a year in 5x categories?! Which I might remind you is more than the measly sign up bonus on the CFF

Remember, you can keep a Chase Freedom card open with as little as a $500 credit limit. Unless there is some issue with maximum number of Chase cards you want to have open, I would try to keep one Freedom card open. I now have two Freedom cards and one Freedom Unlimited, I will convert my larger freedom to the Freedom Flex. I thought about applying for Freedom Flex eventually but I would rather use Chase slots to apply for cards like Hyatt, United, British Airways, etc.
Happy, krazykanuck and cuthroat like this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Magic Pickles
Product change between Visa and MC is not an issue as long as you stay within the same product families (e.g. can’t PC between co-brand and Chase branded cards or between different co-branded cards.)
Just wanted to reiterate what you said. I am pretty sure the Chase IHG card used to be a VISA at one point, before Chase converted everyone to Mastercard and it wasn't a problem........unlike when I called to ask American Express if they would be willing to convert my Platinum card to a VISA for greater flexibility.

She paused.....Laughed at me for 2 minutes, told me they didn't offer a VISA PLATINUM by American Express, canceled my account and hung up on me..... <Joking>
arshi007 likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Does CVS Caremark mail order qualify for the 3% drug store bonus?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Does CVS Caremark mail order qualify for the 3% drug store bonus?
wait until chase has their rewards program agreement, and check how they qualify drugstore
(this link is on their coming soon->offer details fineprint, but inactive) https://www.chase.com/freedomflex/rewardsagreement

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/freedom/comingsoon
Old Sep 4, 2020, 9:41 am
RNE

...and after you use your $300 travel credit in December, immediately downgrade your CSR and you'll get most of that AF credited back. It'll cost you <$150 for that $300 travel credit. That's a pure arbitrage in my world.
Hmm. I wasn't aware the AF was partially refundable. Is that only the case if I downgrade? Or does it hold true if I cancel the CSR? My goal is to dump it and apply for the CSP (primarily for its SUB).
You LOVE UR points, why get rid of a soon to be grandfathered card that earns up to 30k pts a year in 5x categories?! Which I might remind you is more than the measly sign up bonus on the CFF
Good point, but those 30k points require $6000 in spend whereas the 20k bonus requires only $500.

I still don’t understand why you’re cancelling the original Freedom. Everything to date says you can have both that and the CFF.
True, but I pulled the trigger yesterday, so what's done is done. I should have a CFF shortly, and my wife has two CF cards. So, we can still take great advantage of the quarterly categories.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Hmm. I wasn't aware the AF was partially refundable. Is that only the case if I downgrade? Or does it hold true if I cancel the CSR? My goal is to dump it and apply for the CSP (primarily for its SUB).
Only product changes receive pro-rated AF refunds. If you cancel, it's either a full refund if you've done it inside the cancellation window, or nothing at all.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 11:06 am
RNE

Only product changes receive pro-rated AF refunds. If you cancel, it's either a full refund if you've done it inside the cancellation window, or nothing at all.
As I thought. Thanks. Gonna cancel.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
As I thought. Thanks. Gonna cancel.
Ok, I'm not sure how you've come to the conclusion that that's the better option, but suit yourself.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 4:02 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Originally Posted by beachfan
Well, it's no doubt a very appealing card now.

Can one downgrade a co-branded card (Ritz-Carlton) to a Freedom or only one of the Sapphire (or FU) products?

If I can downgrade, perfect timing for me.

If I downgraded my CSR to CFU now, would it automatically transfer my UR points to the downgraded account?

Can I maintain my UR points there indefinitely until I got another premium UR card which lets me transfer points?

What is the 5X on UR travel? I go to the UR portal and book flights with points there and they give me the dollar equivalent of the UR points as 5X UR points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.