Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

How to redeem almost 1M Ultimate Rewards points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to redeem almost 1M Ultimate Rewards points?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2020, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bmr12
I chose to redeem some of them through the pay yourself back promo. Will Chase devalue the program? Maybe. Better to get 1.5 cpp in cash than through a third party travel portal in this brave new world.
+1000 and then if needed purchase the tkt from the Carriers site for better protection(in some cases) and CC coverage if things hit the fan which using the pts on Chase travel wont be there for
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2020, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrlasssen
I had original planed to travel Internationally, that plan has changed due to COVID and wife not wanting to travel internationally. One thought was to by travel for family. But, I sure would like to use them on my own travel, I guess domestically.
Yes, but that's this year. Why do you have to do something when them now?

And in case you already have a Sapphire card of some sort, you can downgrade to Freedom Unlimited and then upgrade back again when all this Covid-19 stuff is enough behind us that you can plan international travel again.

We might be able to help you more if you explained exactly which UR card(s) you have right now. and roughly how the UR points are divided among them (if it's more than one card).
Old Aug 20, 2020, 7:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
....roughly how the UR points are divided among them (if it's more than one card).
Why would this matter? The points can be Combined before they are redeemed.
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mrlasssen
I had original planed to travel Internationally, that plan has changed due to COVID and wife not wanting to travel internationally. One thought was to by travel for family. But, I sure would like to use them on my own travel, I guess domestically.
Do you really believe that Covid-19 is the end of the world as we know it and that travel will never return? As another poster mentioned, why the need to act short term? You can always downgrade to a no fee card and protect the points if annual fee is the issue.

I'm perplexed that so many people seem to be making drastic, long term choices in the midst of a short term situation (a serious situation no doubt, but likely not the end of the world as we know it...)

Regards
Old Aug 20, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Some people will tell you to book all kinds of things that you would never normally book, in order to squeeze every penny of value out. Might make for some nice trips.

Pay yourself back has been one of the best ways I've found to maximize value for things you're already buying. Putting actual money back in your pocket. Besides that, I wouldn't worry about liquidating them all now. We will all travel again.
Happy likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
Do you really believe that Covid-19 is the end of the world as we know it and that travel will never return? As another poster mentioned, why the need to act short term? You can always downgrade to a no fee card and protect the points if annual fee is the issue.

I'm perplexed that so many people seem to be making drastic, long term choices in the midst of a short term situation (a serious situation no doubt, but likely not the end of the world as we know it...)

Regards
I am surprised, if not perplexed, to see some people's ultra optimism on this virus. The more you have learned things about this, the more you realize that we will not return to the "normal" world of travel as we knew it. Not within the next 18 to 24 months, and that is considering we being lucky. Chances are, many of the previous travel activities would not return for a long long long time to come.

Likewise, I am truly perplexed that someone would still ask what to do with their UR pts, after 2.5 months have gone by since Chase introduced PYB.

OP, your domestic travel needs are better off to be met with actually buying the tickets from the airlines own sites. The UR pts largest value usage is to transfer to airline partners then to redeem long haul premium cabin award seats. That I view such pursuit would be a long way off, because I simply dont see we the US can get our situation under control to the point that we are actully ALLOWED to visit other countries even in first half of 2021 - dont forget we will soon head to the traditional Flu season in Northern Hemisphere...

The Pay Yourself Back feature is a very good way to liquid large amount of UR pts with the maximum value as if it is redeemed for travel thru the UR portal - which, enough peopple would tell you, that buying travel thru Chase is a BAD IDEA... it is already plagued with all sorts of issues before the Pandemic, then the cancellations caused by the Pandemic is simply manifesting this shortcoming by 100 folds.

With the PYB you realize the maximum 1.5x ACTUAL cash redemption value except the perceived value of transferred to partners, this as Super Mario said, the BEST way to redeem large amount of UR pts.

We have twice or more points in our accounts before the PYB. Now we have only 50% left. Our points initially were to be used on booking cruises. After the experiences of getting refunds on flights / cruises canceled due to Pandemic, we decide we would just pay our future travel with credit cards (the dispute feature is WONDERFUL when you could not get carriers / providers to refund the canceled bookings made by them, not you.)

Chase travel / Expedia, simply would not do anything to help you, as craz said, and being documented by many in the Travel refund thread.

We might still keep 300 to 400K but the rest would all be redeemed thru PYB that the current one will end on Sept 30 - meaning the last redemption needs to be made on Sept 30 - spends made at grocery stores, restaurants, home improvement stores. and an added category - charity donation - all would work. The Home Improvement spend is a great one to use the PYB. Grocery stores as well.

When and if travel would return to somewhat normal, and the Americans are allowed in, then you can pay the travel with the Cash you have gotten back now.

Besides if you also have decent balances in your FFPs accounts, then there is truly no need to hoard the UR pts if your original goal is for international award seats in premium cabins. All other travels used to be booked with 1.5x thru UR portal, would be MUCH BETTER to book direct, with the same1.5x value now you can get back thru PYB.

It is such a no brainer that it is surprised to see why some have such difficulties to decide....

Last edited by Happy; Aug 20, 2020 at 12:34 pm
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If I understand correctly, redeeming 900,000 points through Pay Yourself Back would require spending $13,500 in the categories that Chase designates eligible. This doesn't seem to be a viable plan for most households.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Here is a thought - why should this thread still be opened?

OP had the opportunity to offer more information. But so far OP had not been done so.

FTers should not conduct a wild goose chase to please OP. Being nice does not mean being abused.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
If I understand correctly, redeeming 900,000 points through Pay Yourself Back would require spending $13,500 in the categories that Chase designates eligible. This doesn't seem to be a viable plan for most households.

Nor does everyone have a CSR/P CC so PYB wont be an option unless I overlooked something.Yes its very possible and easy to have a large stash and not have a CSR/P, and if youre over 5/24 still not being able to get one.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
the pay yourself back feature that they recently announced
Thanks! I need to look into that.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 3:03 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Note: There are many ways to redeem UR point. Please review the Chase Forum index for further ideas. This thread is now closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.