Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase "My Bonus" promotions (targeted category bonuses).

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Chase regularly offers 3-month spending bonuses at chase.com/mybonus.
Chase Spend and Get Offers | My Bonus | Chase.com

These bonuses have the following characteristics:
  • Offers are not visible in your Chase online account. You can view them only through the portal at the link above. Viewing an offer automatically registers your card for it.
  • Offers are individually targeted. You may receive a different offer, or none at all, on a card type for which another FTer reports a bonus.
  • A given card will have, at most, one applicable bonus offer at a time.
  • Offers are typically for higher multiples of miles/points per dollar spent. Note that when an offer is for “10x on gas spend,” that means 10 points or miles per dollar total, including any category bonus native to the relevant card.
    • If you downgrade a qualifying card during an offer period, the offer will still apply, but you will receive only the incremental benefit relative to the new card’s built-in category bonus, if any. For example, the Chase IHG Premier card always earns 5x on dining, so a 10x quarterly offer is worth an extra 5 points/dollar. If you downgrade to the IHG Traveler card (native 3x dining bonus), you will receive 8 total points per dollar (native 3x plus the promotional 5 points/dollar) for spending during the offer period.
    • On very rare occasions, an offer may be for a fixed bonus contingent on the cardholder making a certain number of transactions of a minimum value. (For an early 2022 instance of this—5,000 UR for making 15 purchases of at least $2 each—see this post.)
  • Most offers are for generic categories (gas, grocery, dining, etc.). On occasion, however, an offer may be for purchases with a specific Chase partner using the applicable co-branded card (e.g., United Airlines, Hyatt, IHG) or for a large merchant such as Amazon (Q422).
  • Offers are usually capped at $1500 in spend. In some cases, however, the cap may be higher, e.g., extra miles on up to $6,000 in purchases from United Airlines on a United card.
  • Bonuses are typically for standard quarterly periods, but offers may also run for other three-month periods (e.g., June/July/August). It is generally worth checking on, or even shortly before, the first of each month for any card that doesn’t currently have an associated offer.
    • If you have a Q3 offer, you won’t be able to see any Q4 offer on that card until the Q3 offer expires. That said, Chase may send you an email notification a few days before the cutoff allowing you to view & pre-register for the upcoming offer.
For discussion of “Chase Offers”—short-term (usually <30 days) percentage discounts with specific merchants (not categories)—see "Chase Offers" (merchant branded discounts or rebates on specific cards), including the wiki at the top of each page.

Print Wikipost

Chase "My Bonus" promotions (targeted category bonuses).

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:29 am

[i b jhole]
Steve in Olympia and merlin90 like this.

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 8:15 pm
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:35 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by beltway
Chase just sent me an email with a new offer on one of my IHG cards (5x for Amazon/dining/grocery). The point isn't that this is an attractive offer--I can get 5 UR any day for Amazon and 5 UR this quarter for groceries--but rather that Chase seems to be ginning up new offers. Folks may want to run a few cards through https://www.chase.com/mybonus to see what else is cooking.
Nice tip. I found the same offer on my Hyatt card. I'll move my restaurant and grocery spend there til I reach the $1500 limit.
beltway likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:35 am

I can get 5 UR any day for Amazon
How do you do that? I have the Amazon Visa and get 5 of those points/$, but I’d much rather have 5 UR/$.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:00 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Chase just sent me an email with a new offer on one of my IHG cards (5x for Amazon/dining/grocery). The point isn't that this is an attractive offer--I can get 5 UR any day for Amazon and 5 UR this quarter for groceries--but rather that Chase seems to be ginning up new offers. Folks may want to run a few cards through https://www.chase.com/mybonus to see what else is cooking.
Thanks for the heads up. I have the same on Marriott (just got an email about it) and 5k bonus points for $3k spend on Hyatt (no email yet).
beltway likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:57 am

[hi jole]
Rare likes this.

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 8:15 pm
Old Jan 12, 2022, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Rare
How do you do that? I have the Amazon Visa and get 5 of those points/$, but I’d much rather have 5 UR/$.
Some Ink business cards offer 5X at office supply stores. My source of Amazon gift cards.
Rare likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
For me:

Hyatt: spend $3k, get 5k
Explorer: spend $6k, get 6k (it presumably stacks with this offer from UA)
IHG: 5X on Amazon, groceries, restaurants, up to $1500
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I got 5x Hyatt for Amazon, groceries or restaurants. Will use it for restaurants or Amazon
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

No email, but the Amazon-grocery-restaurant offer was on a World of Hyatt and an IHG Premier card. There was also a (5%, $10 max) for fitness clubs and gym memberships on Sapphire Preferred.

Soapbox mode. I think Chase should do a better job of letting the customer know whether a purchase will qualify. Here's the wording from one of the offers.
Merchants who accept Visa/Mastercard credit cards are assigned a merchant code, which is determined by the merchant or its processor in accordance with Visa/Mastercard procedures based on the kinds of products and services they primarily sell. We group similar merchant codes into categories for purposes of making rewards offers to you. Please note: We make every effort to include all relevant merchant codes in our rewards categories. However, even though a merchant or some of the items that it sells may appear to fit within a rewards category, the merchant may not have a merchant code in that category. When this occurs, purchases with that merchant won’t qualify for rewards offers on purchases in that category. Purchases submitted by you, an authorized user, or the merchant through third-party payment accounts, mobile or wireless card readers, online or mobile digital wallets, or similar technology will not qualify in a rewards category if the technology is not set up to process the purchase in that rewards category.
Later, there was a link to more information, but nowhere did I find a list of the qualifying Merchant Category Codes. This is not as big a deal now that Visa has disabled its MCC lookup tool (does anyone know of a currently working method of learning the MCC for a business?), but it would at least give the appearance of transparency. It would also be nice to get more detail on when "third-party payment accounts, mobile or wireless card readers, online or mobile digital wallets" would not qualify, rather than just saying "We might tell you that you screwed yourself."

My opinion is that Chase (and any bank that makes similar offers on its cards) should ensure there is some method of determining in advance if a purchase will satisfy the terms for an offer. I recognize that the MCC could change at any time, but it would be nice to know what it is now rather than making a test purchase. In either case (looking up the MCC or seeing if a test purchase gets a bonus), the MCC could change, so I do not see a difference. (When I expressed this opinion sometime in the past, someone on FlyerTalk said a lookup tool would not be worth it because the MCC could change.) End of soapbox mode.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:24 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Same on my WN Priority Card:

5x on Amazon, Groceries and Dining thrrough 3/31/22
Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:49 am

I B J

Last edited by beltway; Apr 5, 2024 at 8:14 pm
Old Jan 12, 2022, 12:32 pm

my United Quest card has 5x on Amazon, Groceries and Dining
Old Jan 12, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
I just got the Quest and was about to downgrade my United Explorer, but I just got the 5x on Amazon, groceries, and Dining on it. Guess I'll keep it as is until I max that 5x out.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 1:37 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Nothing on my CSR, Quest and Explorer card

I guess its because I already use/used the card for groceries on a regular basis.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Nothing on my CSR, Quest and Explorer card

I guess its because I already use/used the card for groceries on a regular basis.
not sure about that. I got the restaurant/grocery/Amazon offer on my UA Select and regularly use it for groceries. Wife uses hers for groceries too though, and didn’t get it. So who knows what the criteria is?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.