Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase cards Trip Cancellation/Interruption/Delay insurance benefits (2020-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: threeoh
To review discussion from 2016-2019 click HERE.

Overview
Many Chase cards, including Sapphire Preferred and Reserve and MileagePlus Explorer, come with three different kinds of travel protection:

Trip Delay: This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed due to the following Covered Hazards defined in the policy: equipment failure, inclement weather, strike and hijacking/skyjacking. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

Trip Cancellation: This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference). Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption: This is similar to Trip Cancellation, but reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel because you cut your trip short for a covered reason (illness, etc.). It mostly covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Exceptions: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

No coverage on the Chase cards will pay for new expensive tickets home.

How to file a claim:
- go to http://eclaimsline.com/ , or
- call 1-888-675-1461

Guide to Benefits:
Read it! CSR - CSP

Trip Delay FAQ and experiences

This reimburses you for incidental expenses if your travel is delayed due to the following Covered Hazards defined in the policy: equipment failure, inclement weather, strike and hijacking/skyjacking. It only covers new expenses such as hotel, local transit, taxis, meals, toiletries, clothes, etc. that are caused by the delay. It does not (usually) cover the cost of onward travel or any pre-paid expenses. Max: $500

How long does the delay have to be? 6 hours for CSR, 12 hours for CSP and MPE, check your guide to benefits for other cards. Also kicks in if the delay is "overnight".
Are delays because of weather and mechanical problems covered? Yes.
Who is covered? Only you, your spouse, your dependent children under 22. For large meals (multiple main courses), people have been asked what portion of the meal was consumed by covered travelers.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their spouse and dependent children.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the flight that is delayed with the Chase card? Yes.
Do I have to use my Chase card to purchase hotel/meals/etc. I am hoping to have covered? No, you can use any card, or cash. Just keep your receipts.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 1 year. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
Does it cover alcohol? Recent reports indicate yes; some older reports of alcohol being denied.
Does it cover tips? Recent reports indicate yes, up to 20%; some older reports of tips being denied.
My airline is offering a voucher for a hotel, but I skipped the voucher line and booked my own hotel. Am I covered? Reports point to yes, as long as you did not actually take the airline up on their offer.
Rather than staying in a hotel, I'd rather rent a car / buy a walk-up fare on another airline. Will this be covered? Mixed reports. In general this coverage is meant for expenses incurred during a delay, not onward travel.
How do I show the reason for the delay? The coverage requires a statement from the carrier indicating the cause of the delay. If your document doesn't state the cause of the delay, it probably will not work. One possibility is to get a military excuse while at the airport; another is to screenshot the carrier's website or app if it shows the cause. You can also write after the fact to get a delay letter: United: [email protected] , Delta , American. Make sure to request that the delay letter state the cause of the delay. For other carriers contact their main customer service.
Am I covered if my flight is cancelled and I am rebooked on a later flight? Yes
Am I covered if my flight is slightly delayed and I miss my connection, causing a longer delay? Yes
Am I covered at my home airport? Maybe. This report of someone being covered after appeal for hotel in Newark when EWR flight was delayed, lives in NJ but not Newark. Guide says "You are not covered for any Covered Hazard delay that was made public or known to you prior to the departure for the Covered Trip [a period of round-trip travel (meaning departing from and eventually returning to your primary residence) that doesn’t exceed three hundred and sixty- five (365) days away from your residence to a destination other than your city of residence.]".
I was delayed on my outbound and claimed $500. Now am I delayed on my return flight. Am I covered? One report on this thread of two reimbursements for two different delay incidents on a single ticket. Chase says "per trip" on the phone, but Guide says "per ticket". So a round-trip ticket may not cover two delays, but two one-ways could. Update: new Guide language says "per Covered Trip" and there are reports of a claim on the return leg being denied because of a successful claim on the outbound leg.

Experiences:
  • 01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]
  • 02/2014 - Flight was cancelled due to weather; booked Amtrak with points, which was then delayed because of downed electrical wires; rented a car and drove home. Used print out from flightaware.com to show flight was cancelled, claimed non-points dollar amount for Amtrak ticket, got Chase (not insurance) to request receipts from vendors that weren't saved by OP. All was covered. Full report
  • 04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report
  • 07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. Recommend keeping new and old boarding passes.
  • 12/2014 - Trip delay in WAS (flight was delayed because of MX causing misconnect and overnight. Reward flight with taxes+fees on Chase card. OP + wife were covered $632 for a for a room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.
  • 07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.
  • 7/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to thunderstorms. ~$390 for hotel, uber, meals. Claim processed within a week, no issues. Full report.
  • 9/2017 - Delayed in EWR due to Harvey. ~$499 for hotel, ubereats. Claim processed in 7 business days
  • 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets on JetBlue award flight with taxes+fees on Chase in FLL. Missed connection due to Mx. Incl. $65 at Walgreens, r/t uber to hotel, uber home, $265 hotel, $180 meal. Tax, tip, and alcohol covered.
  • 06/2017 - $258 covered for overnight delay hotel/dinner. Did not cover $50 to pick a seat on next day's flight. Full report
  • 08/2017 - covered during ATC equipment failure leading to cancelled flight
  • 08/2017 - covered with flightaware showing delay, no direct statement from carrier. Booked dummy return flight on Southwest to 'comply' with r/t requirement.
  • 12/2017 - covered for forced overnight due to ATL "Power Outage". Entire ticket, including taxes, was paid for using Ultimate Reward points through my Reserve account. There was no credit card charge showing on my account.
  • 1/2018 - covered for $500 including hotel tips, a drink, and minibar snacks w/ no receipt (but showed credit card statement with purchases listed)
  • 1/2018 - covered rental + gas to drive to int'l gateway when feeder flight was cancelled.
  • 3/2018 - covered int'l phone calls, roaming cell phone data (submitted phone bill), storage locker, and hotel.
  • 4/2018 - covered hotel, meals/snacks, cold medicine, Uber ground transport for overnight due to weather. Award ticket with taxes/fees on CSR.
  • 5/2018 - covered $250 in hotel, uber, two meals after missing a connection in a "painless but slightly drawn out" process. Had to request a different delay letter because first one didn't state cause of delay. Total turn-around time 40 days including re-requesting delay letter.
  • 11/2018 - covered $300+ in hotel, 2 Ubers, 3 meals; did not cover seat charge or Uber home; originally booked with UR points (no CC charge)
  • 7/2019 - covered $400+ in hotel, rental car, 3 meals, clothing/toiletries for me, wife and son for 24 hour delay; award tickets with taxes/fees in CSR.
  • 01/2021 - covered $225 in meals, hotel, Uber for myself for overnight due to weather; used voucher and paid small amount on the Sapphire Preferred.
  • 01/2021 - covered ~$100 for meals and toiletries purchased during a 7+ hour daytime delay.
  • 07/2022 - covered $500+ for two travelers: hotel, meals, vending machines for overnight delay at connection; award miles + taxes on CSR

(A previous thread that dealt with travel delay compensation has been closed and all future issues with travel delays & cancellations will be handled here. The last 4 posts from that thread have been merged into this one. The closed thread can be found here.)

For one overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. The Milewriter @ Saverocity compiled a lot of information from this thread, and thanks all the contributors.

Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption

This reimburses you for travel expenses (tickets, hotels) you have to cancel or interrupt because of covered reason (illness, etc.). It only covers pre-paid expenses, not new expenses. Max: $10,000 for CSR/CSP, $1,500 for MPE

Trip Interruption only covers a few new expenses: If you re-use your old tickets, it covers the change fee (but not fare difference); it covers charges to return rental cars early to a different location; and covers up to $250 to get to/from the airport or medical facility and from the airport to your home.

What are covered reasons? Illness or injury or death (with documentation) of you or family, severe weather, change in military orders, terrorism, jury duty or subpoena, uninhabitable dwelling, quarantine, or if your travel supplier goes bankrupt. Pre-existing medical conditions are not covered.
Who is covered? CSP/CSR: Extended family: You, your Spouse or Domestic Partner and their children, including adopted children or step-children; legal guardians or wards; siblings or siblings-in-law; parents or parents-in-law; grandparents or grandchildren; aunts or uncles; nieces or nephews. MPE: You, spouse/domestic partner, dependent children.
Does it cover Authorized Users? Apparently yes, as long as their name is "embossed on the card", as well as their extended family / immediate family depending on the card.
I bought reward tickets but paid taxes/fees with my card, am I covered? Yes.
I bought reward tickets with Chase UR points, am I covered? Yes.
Do I have to buy the travel arrangements with my card to be covered? Apparently now this is "yes", you have to pay for "some portion" of each travel arrangement (hotel, flight, etc.) for that arrangement to be covered.
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are covered? "airline tickets, train tickets, bus tickets, prepaid tours, hotels, and rental cars."
What kinds of pre-paid travel arrangements are not covered? "Event Tickets or prepaid fees to theme parks, museums, golf courses, or other points of interest"
I got ill during a trip and had to buy really expensive tickets to fly home. Will I get reimbursed? No. If you can't use your original tickets, this will reimburse you for those -- but new tickets are on you. If you change your original tickets, this will cover the change fee only. It does not pay for fare difference or new tickets. It will pay up to $250 to get you to/from the airport or train station, medical facility, and to your residence after you land at your home airport.
I got ill and need to cancel my trip / return early. What documentation do I need? Generally a letter from a physician or other medical person. There is a special claim form for the doctor to fill out but a sufficiently detailed letter from the doctor can work too.
Does the travel have to be round trip? Yes, but your ticket does not have to be. You must depart from your place of residence and return to your place of residence within 60 days. The round-trip travel can involve different tickets on different carriers, open jaws, etc.
My flight was cancelled. Am I covered? Probably not. Only if it was cancelled due to weather or transit strikes, and only if you didn't get reimbursed by the carrier. However, see Trip Delay above.
I cancelled my trip and the airline has given me one year to use my tickets, but I can't use them. How do I get reimbursed? Several reports indicate that you must wait for the unused tickets to expire, then file another claim. You can get the change fee covered right away. Other reports say if you demonstrate you won't use the tickets, they'll cover full amount right now. YMMV.
Am I covered if I'm taking a road trip, with no flights or common carrier? Yes. However the online claim form requires flight info; just fill it out with dummy flights and explain your other documents that there was no common carrier.
I am pregnant and no longer want to travel. Am I covered? Maybe. Generally, unexpected complications with non-IVF pre-26th week single pregnancies are covered. Non-IVF multiple pregnancies (twins, triplets) are not covered unless you get pregnant after purchasing your tickets. IVF pregnancies are not covered. The guide says you are not covered for "Travel arrangements that are scheduled to take place after the twenty-sixth (26th) week of pregnancy; or when any multiple pregnancy, with or without complications, occurs prior to the initial deposit date or booking date of the Trip; or any pregnancy associated with an assisted reproductive program, such as in vitro fertilization"
There is civil unrest at my destination, am I covered? Maybe. Generally you are covered if there is a Terrorist Incident or State Dept travel warning during your trip (Trip Interruption) or in the 30 days leading up to your trip (for Trip Cancellation) for within 25 miles of any place along your trip itinerary or your home, as long as the incident or warning didn't happen before you booked your tickets. Not covered is "War, undeclared war, civil war, insurrection, rebellion, revolution, warlike acts by a military force or personnel". Also not covered is "Trips booked to any area known to be associated with Terrorist Activity" (meaning multiple Terrorist Incidents or travel warnings in 12 months) and "disinclination to travel due to civil unrest [or] an epidemic or pandemic".

Experiences:

Print Wikipost

Chase cards Trip Cancellation/Interruption/Delay insurance benefits (2020-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2021, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jed33d
Hi all,

Had some tragic news today that my brother died unexpectedly this morning. I am scheduled to fly out Sunday 7/4 on United PAE-CZM. Entire ticket purchased with CSR. I need to cancel my flight, and trying to get a sense of how this would work or if I can even use the CSR trip cancellation coverage since United will give me a flight credit. I was hoping for some help from those more knowledgeable on this as I can't spend a ton of time researching things right now. I wanted to figure this out prior to calling to cancel (I was going to ask for an exemption for a refund due to the sudden death, but I'm doubtful that will be honored). Thanks in advance for any insight into this.
I am sorry to hear your bad news. It would be worth trying for a refund but otherwise my understanding is that the insurance requires you to take the credit and, if you can't use it before it expires, then once it has expired you can claim. You should probably give them some sort of notice when you get the credit.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Had some tragic news today that my brother died unexpectedly this morning. I am scheduled to fly out Sunday 7/4 on United PAE-CZM. Entire ticket purchased with CSR. I need to cancel my flight, and trying to get a sense of how this would work or if I can even use the CSR trip cancellation coverage since United will give me a flight credit. I was hoping for some help from those more knowledgeable on this as I can't spend a ton of time researching things right now. I wanted to figure this out prior to calling to cancel (I was going to ask for an exemption for a refund due to the sudden death, but I'm doubtful that will be honored). Thanks in advance for any insight into this.
I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

- First step is to make sure to cancel your flight reservation before the check-in deadline. Easy to forget to do that. Just go online and cancel it, or you can call.

- United will off you a full cash refund due to the death of an immediate family member. Go here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-policies.html click "Refund request for nonrefundable tickets - unplanned event" to read the rules. Then click "Request a refund" button at the top to start the process. You'll probably need a copy of the death certificate or obituary notice. You don't need to do this now -- worry about it in a few weeks.

- If you think you'll use the United credit within the next year, you can skip the refund step and just apply the credit to your next flight within a year.

- If United refuses to refund you for some reason and you will not use the credit, you can start a CSR claim now (within 20 days) and then finish it out in one year when the credit expires. But this adds an extra layer, so I'd try for the cash refund if you don't think you can use the flight credit.

- I imagine the hotel in CZM, etc will give you a refund. But if they don't or they charge you for the first night or something, and you paid with CSR, then the hotel and other pre-paid expenses would be reimbursable by the Trip Cancellation insurance. You must try to cancel the hotel within a reasonable period for the coverage to kick in. Also you have to start the claim within 20 days, and have 90 days to provide all of the paperwork.

Working with the travel provider for a refund is almost always the best step, use the credit is second best, and insurance claim is third option.

But remember to cancel the flight (and hotel) before check-in, and start your claim within 20 days if you are going to do one.
Xyzzy and SamirD like this.

Last edited by threeoh; Jun 28, 2021 at 9:14 am
Old Jun 28, 2021, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh
What are you trying to protect against?

If you're hoping Trip Delay will cover your hotel at a connection point if you miss your connection and must stay overnight (or an additional night in HI if your return flight is delayed overnight), only the flight purchased with the CSR will be covered. So if your return flight is on CSR and our outbound is delayed, no coverage.

For Trip Cancellation, which reimburses you for pre-paid nonrefundable things you miss out on, only expenses paid for by the CSR can be reimbursed. So this could be hotel, rental car, etc. if paid with CSR will be covered regardless of how you pay for flights.

For the flights themselves the Trip Cancellation coverage will only pay the change fees (currently there are none) until the ticket expires. If the future flight credit goes completely unused until its expiration date (or you can demonstrate convincingly you will be unable to use it), you can then file a second claim to get the expired value reimbursed.

I think you need to articulate more clearly what scenario you're trying to protect against for us to give you good advice on how to structure the tickets.
I think both, if possible. Also I'm also looking at this from what I'm used to in the past, which is pre-COVID and flying out of a non-hub airport, so probably 80-90% of our trips involved a connection, which is more prone to trip delay.

For cancelation, I suppose the risk is much more limited now. I have used this before. But hotel will be paid for by the card (and/or points), so I'd be covered there. I think if we pre-pay any additional activities, we should be covered there as well? And with no change fees (I'm not buying BE), I would have the credit to use, so there's almost no case where I wouldn't be able to use that value within a year. So I'm not sure I'd need it there. Trip Interruption is sort of part of the same package though, so always ideal to have that, but again, with unused hotel/activities, should be covered, and change fees to come back would be nil anyway, and any fare difference isn't covered anyway.

Delay is probably more of a concern on the way home. Since we're now based out of SFO (hub), the flights would be non-stop, and I believe we probably wouldn't be covered on departure from our home airport, correct? At least for overnight - which would be a bigger expense, though maybe they would cover meal if its more than 6 hour delay at the airport if we had that? The return, delay would cover a 6+ hour delay from departure, no? So that would again, be ideal to have.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
I'm slated to fly from BHM>TPA>LGA in a couple weeks on Southwest, and the recent news of mass delays has left me a little squirrelly. I know I'm probably being overly anxious, but if my and my wife's ticket was bought primarily with previous flight credit, but a small amount was on the CSR (literally $6), will I still qualify for trip interruption? I'm not certain if there needs to be a base % met on the card for the flight to be covered. Thanks for any help!
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by northinsouth
I'm slated to fly from BHM>TPA>LGA in a couple weeks on Southwest, and the recent news of mass delays has left me a little squirrelly. I know I'm probably being overly anxious, but if my and my wife's ticket was bought primarily with previous flight credit, but a small amount was on the CSR (literally $6), will I still qualify for trip interruption? I'm not certain if there needs to be a base % met on the card for the flight to be covered. Thanks for any help!
yes, you should. The benefit should be active as long as a portion of the cost was put on the card. There’s nowhere that specifies it has to be a certain amount/percentage. I often do this, using United TravelBank credit for most of the purchase, but putting a token amount (say, even $20) on the card to enact coverage.

im having a conundrum right now because I am trying to use a United ETC that’s bigger than the fare, and trying to get the CSR coverage. However, as opposed to TravelBank credit, where I can choose what amount I want to use of Credit, and pay the balance with the card, with ETC, I have to use it all.
SamirD and northinsouth like this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emcampbe
For cancelation, I suppose the risk is much more limited now.
I agree. Unless you're on BE, it seems the Trip Cancellation/Interruption coverage is less useful for flights if you can use the credit within a year. Still useful for hotels/etc.

Delay is probably more of a concern on the way home. Since we're now based out of SFO (hub), the flights would be non-stop, and I believe we probably wouldn't be covered on departure from our home airport, correct? At least for overnight - which would be a bigger expense, though maybe they would cover meal if its more than 6 hour delay at the airport if we had that? The return, delay would cover a 6+ hour delay from departure, no? So that would again, be ideal to have.
- Home city is not usually covered, though upthread someone got a hotel covered in EWR (they live in New Jersey, but not Newark) by filing an appeal, since they had left their "city of residence". So mixed results there.

- For the return trip, what matters is whether you arrive (actual arrival time of flight as reported by the airline) 6+ hours late. If so, then all of your meals, hotel, taxis etc. waiting for the delayed flight in HI are covered (up to the $500 per person limit), plus usually (with one report to the contrary) a taxi home. If you arrive 5h59m late, nothing will be covered.

Note that if only one person is on the CSR ticket, you probably can only get 1 hotel room and any meal should look like it's for one person, even if you're within the $500 limit. If you pay for all four tickets with CSR, then you'd get up to $2,000 total and it's ok if the meal receipts look like they are for 4 people.

Maybe the best idea is ETC for the outbound (if this doesn't eat up the whole ETC, a new one will be issued for the remaining credit), CSR (or points) for the hotel so it'll be covered by Trip Cancellation/Interruption, and CSR for the whole family's return tickets so you're all covered comfortably by the Trip Delay insurance on the leg that really matters.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 11:38 pm

Programs: AS, UA, AA, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Silver
I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

- First step is to make sure to cancel your flight reservation before the check-in deadline. Easy to forget to do that. Just go online and cancel it, or you can call.

- United will off you a full cash refund due to the death of an immediate family member. Go here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-policies.html click "Refund request for nonrefundable tickets - unplanned event" to read the rules. Then click "Request a refund" button at the top to start the process. You'll probably need a copy of the death certificate or obituary notice. You don't need to do this now -- worry about it in a few weeks.

- If you think you'll use the United credit within the next year, you can skip the refund step and just apply the credit to your next flight within a year.

- If United refuses to refund you for some reason and you will not use the credit, you can start a CSR claim now (within 20 days) and then finish it out in one year when the credit expires. But this adds an extra layer, so I'd try for the cash refund if you don't think you can use the flight credit.

- I imagine the hotel in CZM, etc will give you a refund. But if they don't or they charge you for the first night or something, and you paid with CSR, then the hotel and other pre-paid expenses would be reimbursable by the Trip Cancellation insurance. You must try to cancel the hotel within a reasonable period for the coverage to kick in. Also you have to start the claim within 20 days, and have 90 days to provide all of the paperwork.

Working with the travel provider for a refund is almost always the best step, use the credit is second best, and insurance claim is third option.

But remember to cancel the flight (and hotel) before check-in, and start your claim within 20 days if you are going to do one.
Originally Posted by MADPhil
I am sorry to hear your bad news. It would be worth trying for a refund but otherwise my understanding is that the insurance requires you to take the credit and, if you can't use it before it expires, then once it has expired you can claim. You should probably give them some sort of notice when you get the credit.

Thank you both Mad Phil and Threeoh! I really appreciate your time and energy to provide the info. That is great news about the refund policy. I fly Sunday so will cancel Friday or Saturday and begin the refund process. I will need to get a copy of the death certificate, which I hope to do soonish, so not sure on the time limit to file the claim. Sounds like I cancel the flight and take the future flight credit, and then file the claim for a refund? I'm hoping it's pretty smooth, but it's nice to see they do have a policy in place for this. I did call AS one time for my dad when his brother died and they just asked for the name of the funeral home and the brother's name, and posted the refund right then.

I was going to stay with friends in their condo, so I'm thankful I don't have to worry about hotel reservations. Sad I won't get to dive this summer there, but will spend time with family, which will be more healing and a great way to honor his memory. Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated!
SamirD and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Sounds like I cancel the flight and take the future flight credit, and then file the claim for a refund?
That's exactly right.

I don't think there's a "deadline" necessarily for the United refund process (maybe when the ticket expires in a year?), but I would start it within a few weeks.

Here's the full thread on that: Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged] (note that a lot of people are talking about how to get the change fee refunded, which is not necessary in your case because no change fees now).

For the CSR insurance claim, you have to fill out the form online within the 20 days, but then you have 90 days to submit the paperwork. So if you're nervous about the United refund process or just want to keep your options open, fill out the form (takes 5 minutes) and then on day 89 you can either submit the paperwork (death cert, etc.) or abandon your claim.

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated!
You're welcome! I know it is often a struggle to read through airline and insurance policies when something unexpected and tragic happens.
Jed33d and SamirD like this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated!
You are very welcome. My offering was rather vague but I hoped it would be helpful. Fortunately threeoh came through with a much more useful response.
Jed33d and SamirD like this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So wondering what happens to trip benefits if you use the card to pay/guarantee, but then cancel the card by the time of the item?

situation is this: I've had the Chase CSR almost as long as it's been around, and the increased annual fee, without real solid additional (and permanent) benefits, I'm thinking of canceling this card. Also, not Chase's fault, but unhappy about the loss of Plaza Premium lounges from PP....much of my travel (in a normal year) is to Canada...mostly YYZ, and to a lesser extent YVR, and with those lounges now not included, that'll cost me probably about 40%-50% of my lounge visits in a normal year. Really thinking about the Amex Plat, which while more expensive now, has a whole new set of benefits that will basically offset the fee for me (like my ability to coninue to use Plaza Premium lounges - though yes, some downgrades compared to CSR, like no PP dining credit, more inflexible airline credit, no lounge guests at Centurion soon, etc...)

So right now, I've got a trip booked for November - air tickets partially paid with CSR, and a hotel reservation guaranteed with the card - and there are potentially additional pre-paid items to come, which I may or may not book with this card. However, my annual fee is due in October, and just not sure I want to renew. If I don't renew, do I assume the trip benefits won't apply, if, for example, I need to cancel last minute for a covered reason (most likely possibility is one of the kids gets sick), or get delayed enroute?

My fee hits in Oct, so there's no way to keep the card for a bit extra, and have the fee refunded (as I understand it).
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 6:47 am

My fee hits in Oct, so there's no way to keep the card for a bit extra, and have the fee refunded (as I understand it).
Keep the card until after your trip then downgrade it to a Freedom product. You'll get most of the October annual fee refunded automatically.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 7:16 am
Original Poster

So wondering what happens to trip benefits if you use the card to pay/guarantee, but then cancel the card by the time of the item?
Coverage ends when you close your card.

I believe there is a grace fee after you get your statement with your AF where you can cancel the card and get your AF back but I forget the details. Maybe there's another thread on that?

You can also downgrade to one of the Freedom cards after your trip instead of cancelling.

But you need to still have the CSR for the coverage to be maintained.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2021, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Keep the card until after your trip then downgrade it to a Freedom product. You'll get most of the October annual fee refunded automatically.
I'm not sure if I'll be able to. Trip is in mid-November, and my AF will post on Oct. 1. My understanding is that you can only refund the annual fee within a month.

Coverage ends when you close your card.

I believe there is a grace fee after you get your statement with your AF where you can cancel the card and get your AF back but I forget the details. Maybe there's another thread on that?

You can also downgrade to one of the Freedom cards after your trip instead of cancelling.

But you need to still have the CSR for the coverage to be maintained.
My understanding (and maybe something has changed since I last heard this) was that the AF could be refunded within a month of posting. After that, while you used to be able to get it pro-rated, you can't anymore. Unfortunately, my AF will post 10/1, and the trip will start 11/10.

Also not sure what Freedom I'd be able to downgrade too. Already have a Freedom Unlimited and Freedom Flex. Perhaps at least for hotel, I can update the card I have to guarantee the room so that the benefits from there would apply?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 5:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
My understanding (and maybe something has changed since I last heard this) was that the AF could be refunded within a month of posting..
The annual fee refund rule is helpfully printed every month on the PDF and paper statements. However, I believe the rule is different for downgrades than for cancellations, and this is not published. Suggested reading: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...el-2020-a.html
SamirD likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:22 am

I'm not sure if I'll be able to. Trip is in mid-November, and my AF will post on Oct. 1. My understanding is that you can only refund the annual fee within a month.
Your understanding is true of cancellations, but not of downgrades which provide pro-rated refunds. I just downgraded my CSR to Freedom last week and had 7/12 of the annual fee that I paid in February refunded.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.