Problems with Chase Visa cards in Malaysia?

Old Nov 27, 19, 12:31 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 6,522
Problems with Chase Visa cards in Malaysia?

I'm currently in Malaysia and I'm experiencing a lot of problems using my cards. On my first day, I was able to use my CSP at this dessert shop without any problems. On the second day onward, it keeps on getting declined. I called Chase and they said there are no issues with my cards or my account. Their system doesn't even have a record of my attempt to use their cards. Yet, I've had no problem using any of my Chase cards at the Hilton Garden Inns in KL. Anyone hee have an idea on that's going on?
lsquare is online now  
Old Nov 27, 19, 12:56 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: LAX, BUR
Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Posts: 1,794
Your experience is a good example of why I carry an Amex and 2 Visa & 2 MasterCard from different banks when traveling.
sdsearch and 355F1 like this.
mhdena is offline  
Old Nov 27, 19, 1:33 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 6,522
Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
Your experience is a good example of why I carry an Amex and 2 Visa & 2 MasterCard from different banks when traveling.
Indeed. It's all that bad. I do have my AMEX Gold and Citi Premier with me, but I still want to figure out why I can't get my Chase cards to work.
lsquare is online now  
Old Nov 27, 19, 5:31 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 14,507
At the places where it's failing, did you happen to see if there were any payment processor logos on the terminals' displays? It might be only a specific processor or two with botched software and/or connection to Visa.
tmiw is offline  
Old Nov 28, 19, 2:12 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: TPA International
Programs: Priority Club Pl, Marriot Gold, Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 63
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I'm currently in Malaysia and I'm experiencing a lot of problems using my cards. On my first day, I was able to use my CSP at this dessert shop without any problems. On the second day onward, it keeps on getting declined. I called Chase and they said there are no issues with my cards or my account. Their system doesn't even have a record of my attempt to use their cards. Yet, I've had no problem using any of my Chase cards at the Hilton Garden Inns in KL. Anyone hee have an idea on that's going on?
Did you notify Chase when you would be in Malaysia, either online or by phone?
We never have had a problem with Chase cards. Next month is our 3rd trip since November 2018.
davidlhanson is offline  
Old Nov 28, 19, 2:26 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 6,522
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
At the places where it's failing, did you happen to see if there were any payment processor logos on the terminals' displays? It might be only a specific processor or two with botched software and/or connection to Visa.
No, I didn't see the name of the processor. Like I said in the OP, I was able to use my Chase card at this dessert shop one day and then it gets declined every time I've been back over there.
lsquare is online now  
Old Nov 28, 19, 2:27 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 6,522
Originally Posted by davidlhanson View Post
Did you notify Chase when you would be in Malaysia, either online or by phone?
We never have had a problem with Chase cards. Next month is our 3rd trip since November 2018.
Yes. They know that I'm here and there shouldn't be any issues. Like I said before, I was able to use it at least once at this dessert shop and then I get declined every time afterwards.
lsquare is online now  
Old Nov 28, 19, 2:55 pm
  #8  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 41,357
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
..... Their system doesn't even have a record of my attempt to use their cards. ....
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
.... I was able to use it at least once at this dessert shop and then I get declined every time afterwards.
You have not been "declined" the transactions are failing. This could be a technical problem at the shop, or at the transaction processor, or at VISA. It has nothing to do with you.

When the transaction fails how have you been paying?
mia is offline  
Old Nov 28, 19, 8:51 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 6,522
Originally Posted by mia View Post
You have not been "declined" the transactions are failing. This could be a technical problem at the shop, or at the transaction processor, or at VISA. It has nothing to do with you.

When the transaction fails how have you been paying?
I use my MasterCard and that works with that terminal.
lsquare is online now  
Old Nov 29, 19, 12:11 pm
  #10  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 41,357
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I use my MasterCard and that works with that terminal.
Very good. If you had a VISA from another issuer you could see if the failure is at VISA's network or at Chase.
lsquare likes this.
mia is offline  
Old Nov 29, 19, 12:29 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: OZ, DL, AC, AS, AA, BA, Marriott, Hilton, IHG, Hyatt
Posts: 6,522
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Very good. If you had a VISA from another issuer you could see if the failure is at VISA's network or at Chase.
You're right. I should have tried my BoA Visa. Oh well. Next time then.
lsquare is online now  
Old Nov 29, 19, 2:42 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,082
just a heads up, using chase visa online almost always probably will fail 3DSecure/VerifiedByVisa (eg Grab, online ticketing)

boa visa is fine (?if you have the text confirmation setup?) - you get a text to input at the 3DSecure/VbVisa screen

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 5, 19 at 10:52 am
paperwastage is offline  
Old Dec 5, 19, 1:07 am
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,009
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
just a heads up, using chase visa online almost always fails 3DSecure/VerifiedByVisa (eg Grab, online ticketing)
This is not true at all.
joe_miami is offline  
Old Dec 5, 19, 1:45 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: SFO/YYZ
Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA Premier Silver
Posts: 1,501
Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
This is not true at all.
It absolutely is true for merchants that use VbV which applies to a large percentage of online merchants in Asia and Europe. I have given up trying to use Chase cards for orders from Japan. They don't participate in verification via a pin code or SMS so you have to call a phone number and have them approve the transaction.

This is well documented going all the way back to 2014 so I'm confused by your strong assertion that something widely demonstrated to be true is, in fact, not true at all.
Chip and Signature failures
chase has different Verify by visa procedures now for online transactions
nexusCFX is online now  
Old Dec 5, 19, 1:51 am
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Miami, Florida
Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Posts: 4,009
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
It absolutely is true for merchants that use VbV which applies to a large percentage of online merchants in Asia and Europe. I have given up trying to use Chase cards for orders from Japan. They don't participate in verification via a pin code or SMS so you have to call a phone number and have them approve the transaction.
I was just in Asia for six weeks and booked ~18 flights online using my CSR and had maybe one failed transaction. I saw the VbV screen on almost every transaction.
joe_miami is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: