Problems with Chase Visa cards in Malaysia?

Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Problems with Chase Visa cards in Malaysia?

I'm currently in Malaysia and I'm experiencing a lot of problems using my cards. On my first day, I was able to use my CSP at this dessert shop without any problems. On the second day onward, it keeps on getting declined. I called Chase and they said there are no issues with my cards or my account. Their system doesn't even have a record of my attempt to use their cards. Yet, I've had no problem using any of my Chase cards at the Hilton Garden Inns in KL. Anyone hee have an idea on that's going on?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Your experience is a good example of why I carry an Amex and 2 Visa & 2 MasterCard from different banks when traveling.
sdsearch, lsquare and 355F1 like this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mhdena
Your experience is a good example of why I carry an Amex and 2 Visa & 2 MasterCard from different banks when traveling.
Indeed. It's all that bad. I do have my AMEX Gold and Citi Premier with me, but I still want to figure out why I can't get my Chase cards to work.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
At the places where it's failing, did you happen to see if there were any payment processor logos on the terminals' displays? It might be only a specific processor or two with botched software and/or connection to Visa.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:12 am

Programs: Priority Club Pl, Marriot Gold, Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm currently in Malaysia and I'm experiencing a lot of problems using my cards. On my first day, I was able to use my CSP at this dessert shop without any problems. On the second day onward, it keeps on getting declined. I called Chase and they said there are no issues with my cards or my account. Their system doesn't even have a record of my attempt to use their cards. Yet, I've had no problem using any of my Chase cards at the Hilton Garden Inns in KL. Anyone hee have an idea on that's going on?
Did you notify Chase when you would be in Malaysia, either online or by phone?
We never have had a problem with Chase cards. Next month is our 3rd trip since November 2018.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tmiw
At the places where it's failing, did you happen to see if there were any payment processor logos on the terminals' displays? It might be only a specific processor or two with botched software and/or connection to Visa.
No, I didn't see the name of the processor. Like I said in the OP, I was able to use my Chase card at this dessert shop one day and then it gets declined every time I've been back over there.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidlhanson
Did you notify Chase when you would be in Malaysia, either online or by phone?
We never have had a problem with Chase cards. Next month is our 3rd trip since November 2018.
Yes. They know that I'm here and there shouldn't be any issues. Like I said before, I was able to use it at least once at this dessert shop and then I get declined every time afterwards.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:55 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
..... Their system doesn't even have a record of my attempt to use their cards. ....
.... I was able to use it at least once at this dessert shop and then I get declined every time afterwards.
You have not been "declined" the transactions are failing. This could be a technical problem at the shop, or at the transaction processor, or at VISA. It has nothing to do with you.

When the transaction fails how have you been paying?
Old Nov 28, 2019, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
You have not been "declined" the transactions are failing. This could be a technical problem at the shop, or at the transaction processor, or at VISA. It has nothing to do with you.

When the transaction fails how have you been paying?
I use my MasterCard and that works with that terminal.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:11 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I use my MasterCard and that works with that terminal.
Very good. If you had a VISA from another issuer you could see if the failure is at VISA's network or at Chase.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Very good. If you had a VISA from another issuer you could see if the failure is at VISA's network or at Chase.
You're right. I should have tried my BoA Visa. Oh well. Next time then.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 1:42 pm

just a heads up, using chase visa online almost always probably will fail 3DSecure/VerifiedByVisa (eg Grab, online ticketing)

boa visa is fine (?if you have the text confirmation setup?) - you get a text to input at the 3DSecure/VbVisa screen

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 5, 2019 at 9:52 am
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by paperwastage
just a heads up, using chase visa online almost always fails 3DSecure/VerifiedByVisa (eg Grab, online ticketing)
This is not true at all.
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by joe_miami
This is not true at all.
It absolutely is true for merchants that use VbV which applies to a large percentage of online merchants in Asia and Europe. I have given up trying to use Chase cards for orders from Japan. They don't participate in verification via a pin code or SMS so you have to call a phone number and have them approve the transaction.

This is well documented going all the way back to 2014 so I'm confused by your strong assertion that something widely demonstrated to be true is, in fact, not true at all.
Chip and Signature failures
chase has different Verify by visa procedures now for online transactions
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
It absolutely is true for merchants that use VbV which applies to a large percentage of online merchants in Asia and Europe. I have given up trying to use Chase cards for orders from Japan. They don't participate in verification via a pin code or SMS so you have to call a phone number and have them approve the transaction.
I was just in Asia for six weeks and booked ~18 flights online using my CSR and had maybe one failed transaction. I saw the VbV screen on almost every transaction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.