FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Problems with Chase Visa cards in Malaysia? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1997221-problems-chase-visa-cards-malaysia.html)

lsquare Nov 27, 2019 11:31 am

Problems with Chase Visa cards in Malaysia?

I'm currently in Malaysia and I'm experiencing a lot of problems using my cards. On my first day, I was able to use my CSP at this dessert shop without any problems. On the second day onward, it keeps on getting declined. I called Chase and they said there are no issues with my cards or my account. Their system doesn't even have a record of my attempt to use their cards. Yet, I've had no problem using any of my Chase cards at the Hilton Garden Inns in KL. Anyone hee have an idea on that's going on?

mhdena Nov 27, 2019 11:56 am

Your experience is a good example of why I carry an Amex and 2 Visa & 2 MasterCard from different banks when traveling.

lsquare Nov 27, 2019 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena (Post 31783038)
Your experience is a good example of why I carry an Amex and 2 Visa & 2 MasterCard from different banks when traveling.

Indeed. It's all that bad. I do have my AMEX Gold and Citi Premier with me, but I still want to figure out why I can't get my Chase cards to work.

tmiw Nov 27, 2019 4:31 pm

At the places where it's failing, did you happen to see if there were any payment processor logos on the terminals' displays? It might be only a specific processor or two with botched software and/or connection to Visa.

davidlhanson Nov 28, 2019 1:12 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31782963)
I'm currently in Malaysia and I'm experiencing a lot of problems using my cards. On my first day, I was able to use my CSP at this dessert shop without any problems. On the second day onward, it keeps on getting declined. I called Chase and they said there are no issues with my cards or my account. Their system doesn't even have a record of my attempt to use their cards. Yet, I've had no problem using any of my Chase cards at the Hilton Garden Inns in KL. Anyone hee have an idea on that's going on?

Did you notify Chase when you would be in Malaysia, either online or by phone?
We never have had a problem with Chase cards. Next month is our 3rd trip since November 2018.

lsquare Nov 28, 2019 1:26 am

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 31783780)
At the places where it's failing, did you happen to see if there were any payment processor logos on the terminals' displays? It might be only a specific processor or two with botched software and/or connection to Visa.

No, I didn't see the name of the processor. Like I said in the OP, I was able to use my Chase card at this dessert shop one day and then it gets declined every time I've been back over there.

lsquare Nov 28, 2019 1:27 am

Originally Posted by davidlhanson (Post 31784596)
Did you notify Chase when you would be in Malaysia, either online or by phone?
We never have had a problem with Chase cards. Next month is our 3rd trip since November 2018.

Yes. They know that I'm here and there shouldn't be any issues. Like I said before, I was able to use it at least once at this dessert shop and then I get declined every time afterwards.

mia Nov 28, 2019 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31782963)
..... Their system doesn't even have a record of my attempt to use their cards. ....

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31784626)
.... I was able to use it at least once at this dessert shop and then I get declined every time afterwards.

You have not been "declined" the transactions are failing. This could be a technical problem at the shop, or at the transaction processor, or at VISA. It has nothing to do with you.

When the transaction fails how have you been paying?

lsquare Nov 28, 2019 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 31786036)
You have not been "declined" the transactions are failing. This could be a technical problem at the shop, or at the transaction processor, or at VISA. It has nothing to do with you.

When the transaction fails how have you been paying?

I use my MasterCard and that works with that terminal.

mia Nov 29, 2019 11:11 am

Originally Posted by lsquare (Post 31786557)
I use my MasterCard and that works with that terminal.

Very good. If you had a VISA from another issuer you could see if the failure is at VISA's network or at Chase.

lsquare Nov 29, 2019 11:29 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 31788054)
Very good. If you had a VISA from another issuer you could see if the failure is at VISA's network or at Chase.

You're right. I should have tried my BoA Visa. Oh well. Next time then.

paperwastage Nov 29, 2019 1:42 pm

just a heads up, using chase visa online almost always probably will fail 3DSecure/VerifiedByVisa (eg Grab, online ticketing)

boa visa is fine (?if you have the text confirmation setup?) - you get a text to input at the 3DSecure/VbVisa screen

joe_miami Dec 5, 2019 12:07 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage (Post 31788420)
just a heads up, using chase visa online almost always fails 3DSecure/VerifiedByVisa (eg Grab, online ticketing)

This is not true at all.

nexusCFX Dec 5, 2019 12:45 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami (Post 31807002)
This is not true at all.

It absolutely is true for merchants that use VbV which applies to a large percentage of online merchants in Asia and Europe. I have given up trying to use Chase cards for orders from Japan. They don't participate in verification via a pin code or SMS so you have to call a phone number and have them approve the transaction.

This is well documented going all the way back to 2014 so I'm confused by your strong assertion that something widely demonstrated to be true is, in fact, not true at all.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...l#post23203287
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...nsactions.html

joe_miami Dec 5, 2019 12:51 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX (Post 31807097)
It absolutely is true for merchants that use VbV which applies to a large percentage of online merchants in Asia and Europe. I have given up trying to use Chase cards for orders from Japan. They don't participate in verification via a pin code or SMS so you have to call a phone number and have them approve the transaction.

I was just in Asia for six weeks and booked ~18 flights online using my CSR and had maybe one failed transaction. I saw the VbV screen on almost every transaction.