Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems with Chase Visa cards in Malaysia?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:20 am

Heh, was just coming to post about this issue. I’m in KL right now, have the CSR, was not able to add it to Grab. When I was in Singapore last year added no problem but my card has since expired and rather than letting me update the expiration, I had to add it like a new card and it kept telling me sorry, could not be added. Initially Chase flagged it as a fraudulent charge which is kinda ridiculous given that I have a travel alert on my account and it’s Grab for crying out loud. after sorting out that it wasn’t a fraudulent charge, I still couldn’t add. Was able to add my Amex no problem but sad that I won’t be earning bonus points. Sob.

Additionally, I’ve been having issues at some dining establishments. The credit card terminal will say “Do Not Honor”, but it doesn’t even show up as a pending charge or flagged as a fraudulent charge. Very bizarre.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:37 am

When I called Chase about this issue, they offered some ideas for dealing with the problem:
  • Ask the merchant to key in the credit card number. This will only work if the merchant has an old-style terminal with push buttons. The new terminals with a touchscreen has no such facility.
  • Call Chase CSR from the merchant and Chase will try to get around the problem directly. This may entail spending 15 minutes or more, so you better not be in a hurry if you choose this option.
And here are my suggestions:
  • Pay cash.
  • Bring a non-Chase credit card, such as Capital One, to see if that problem exists for that card.
Apparently, Chase has known about this problem for some time and is "working on it." It only happens with their cards in Malaysia and Brazil.

I asked them why they didn't let me know about this problem when I informed them of my travel plans to Malaysia. I could have then taken steps to avoid the issue.

They had no answer.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by suziemay
Heh, was just coming to post about this issue. I’m in KL right now, have the CSR, was not able to add it to Grab. When I was in Singapore last year added no problem but my card has since expired and rather than letting me update the expiration, I had to add it like a new card and it kept telling me sorry, could not be added. Initially Chase flagged it as a fraudulent charge which is kinda ridiculous given that I have a travel alert on my account and it’s Grab for crying out loud. after sorting out that it wasn’t a fraudulent charge, I still couldn’t add. Was able to add my Amex no problem but sad that I won’t be earning bonus points. Sob.

Additionally, I’ve been having issues at some dining establishments. The credit card terminal will say “Do Not Honor”, but it doesn’t even show up as a pending charge or flagged as a fraudulent charge. Very bizarre.
Reading your post is like watching a bad movie over and over again. It was more or less what I had experienced last year in KL. Chase really needs to get its act together.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by alocsin
I asked them why they didn't let me know about this problem when I informed them of my travel plans to Malaysia. I could have then taken steps to avoid the issue.
well, you should never travel with cards from just one issuer/network
(eg fraud/breach of your account, whole account suspended. visa goes down, I still have mastercard/amex etc)

that said, I actually never used my physical card (chase or boa or my other 3 backups). most in-person transactions are cash, only grab (and some attractions) were card

cash still king in malaysia
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by alocsin
When I called Chase about this issue, they offered some ideas for dealing with the problem:
  • Ask the merchant to key in the credit card number. This will only work if the merchant has an old-style terminal with push buttons. The new terminals with a touchscreen has no such facility.
  • Call Chase CSR from the merchant and Chase will try to get around the problem directly. This may entail spending 15 minutes or more, so you better not be in a hurry if you choose this option.
And here are my suggestions:
  • Pay cash.
  • Bring a non-Chase credit card, such as Capital One, to see if that problem exists for that card.
Apparently, Chase has known about this problem for some time and is "working on it." It only happens with their cards in Malaysia and Brazil.

They had no answer.
I just pay with cash. I may start looking into other Visa/MasterCard products and cancel my CSR if this continues to be an issue. Not a fan of having too many credit cards.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Reading your post is like watching a bad movie over and over again. It was more or less what I had experienced last year in KL. Chase really needs to get its act together.
Truly ridiculous. Even more ridiculous that I had no such issues across the bridge in Singapore!

Silver lining is they finally got with the times and the card can now do Pay Wave. Saved me a few signatures! Ah, the simple pleasures in life :lol:
Old Jan 27, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by paperwastage
just a heads up, using chase visa online almost always probably will fail 3DSecure/VerifiedByVisa (eg Grab, online ticketing)

boa visa is fine (?if you have the text confirmation setup?) - you get a text to input at the 3DSecure/VbVisa screen
100% not true at all - I use my CSR religiously and often 3DSecure/Verified by Visa verification that is required from non-US websites, I have 100% no issues.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:52 pm

This is the terminal that is causing problems (although it worked once at one store).

This is the terminal that accepts Chase cards with no problems (although it did fail once at one store). As long as the terminal has push buttons, it seems to work. They can also input the credit-card number as a backup.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 11:12 am

Same here with me, been using my Chase cards in previous years with no issues but this year in KL (CNY period) i've only had 1 time success and that was the duty free shop at KLIA. 3 other times when i tried using, it failed and had to revert to my Citi card. Pay wave works with no issues. In the pictures above, i do remember that a push button type reader failed on me as well. Have not tried Grab since i have access to a car here.
Come to think of it, i'm beginning to think that the issues i faced in Spain Nov'19 is probably due to this issue as well. Was able to use in Spain all over in 2018 with no issues and in my recent trip in 2019 had loads of rejections with the automated ticket vending machines.

update on 2/4: I got my 1st case of paywave being rejected, terminal says declined. Citi card was able to be used.

update on 2/15: Even paywave is getting sketchy, so far i have gotten twice rejected when using Paywave, the terminal shows "Do Not Honor"

Last edited by miuk; Feb 15, 2020 at 8:10 am
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:45 pm

It is the Public Bank terminals

I have had the same problem as OP, using Chase Visa cards in Malaysia, for several months now.

I notice that the problem is specifically and only when the merchant’s credit card terminal is from Malaysia’s Public Bank. Which is a LOT of merchants in Malaysia. Message comes back as “do not honor”.

Terminals of all other Malaysian banks work fine with Chase Visas, as far as I can tell.

I have never tried asking a merchant to call Public Bank to work through the problem, as i just dont have the time or patience when paying for a meal or cup of coffee. Nowadays to save time and hassle I proactively look at the terminal to see if is Public Bank, and if it is I dont even try using Chase and instead use something else.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:52 pm

One good thing came out of my credit card problems in Malaysia. A gift card from The Points Guy for mentioning my story on their blog: https://thepointsguy.com/news/card-declined-mistake-story
lsquare and jinsarn like this.
Old Apr 11, 2021, 4:54 am

I know its Covid times and with borders closed and such, but has anyone gotten an update on the situation with Chase in Malaysia?
Old Apr 11, 2021, 7:33 am

Seems to work now

Originally Posted by miuk
I know its Covid times and with borders closed and such, but has anyone gotten an update on the situation with Chase in Malaysia?
yes Chase Sapphire Reserve card worked fine last week at a merchant with a Public Bank terminal, in Penang. So this issue seems to have gone away now - when exactly and how/why, remains a mystery
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by jinsarn; Apr 11, 2021 at 7:35 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 11, 2021, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
I...., don't need signature under a certain $ limit (country dependent)
Is there an up to date list somewhere?

Last edited by mia; Apr 11, 2021 at 6:29 pm
Old Apr 11, 2021, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinsarn
yes Chase Sapphire Reserve card worked fine last week at a merchant with a Public Bank terminal, in Penang. So this issue seems to have gone away now - when exactly and how/why, remains a mystery
That's good to know. Would love to test my Chase, Citi, and AMEX cards there once border opens up again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.