Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Will Chase restrict UR points pooling in 2019?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi all:
Those who hold a Chase Sapphire card and a Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited card can currently transfer points from the Freedom to the Sapphire. I know there were rumors in April that Chase would restrict allowing cardholders to pool points. I just watched a YouTube video predicting that this will happen in 2019. What do you think are the chances that Chase will restrict UR points pooling? And if Chase restricts points pooling, will it (a) end the ability of cardholders to transfer points from one card or another? or (b) continue to allow points pooling but add limits (e.g. points worth less when transferred from Freedom to Sapphire).
-TMW
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:09 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk. Some previous discussion here:

Chase survey regarding possible changes when combining points.

If Chase does this I would expect them to:

Retain the ability to combine points earned with your own cards.
Eliminate the ability to combine points with other people's cards.
Assign the same value to all points in the account at time of redemption.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by TrapMoneyWennie
I just watched a YouTube video predicting that this will happen in 2019.
This is the cousin of I heard, I read, someone said. Without a link it doesn't mean much.

Rather odd first post IMO.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:45 pm
mia

Originally Posted by mhdena
....Without a link.....
New members are not able to post links. They are able to provide search terms, such as the author of the video, that would allow others to easily find the material.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Regardless of whether Chase does this or not, it's probably a good idea to do monthly transfers into the card that can transfer out (whether that's the CSP/CSR or Ink). If nothing else, it's one less step to do when it's time to transfer to your preferred hotel/airline program.

That said, I did end up getting my online account locked out recently for "security reasons" with those transfers being the reason why--but they had no issues unlocking it once I made clear that it was me combining points on my own cards and not with other people's.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Waller's Wallet Predictions for 2019
Originally Posted by mia
New members are not able to post links. They are able to provide search terms, such as the author of the video, that would allow others to easily find the material.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
This is the cousin of I heard, I read, someone said. Without a link it doesn't mean much.

Rather odd first post IMO.
Don't bother. I watched a little over half of the upload at 1.5 speed before clicking off. The guy seemed somewhat informed but his notes/script made a couple of rookie errors in confusing the Explorer/Club cards and how they functioned which is huge if someone tried to get the Explorer bonus for 25k spend which no longer exists. I might be able to give him a pass if he was speaking off the cuff but his lack of proofing on these matters gives him the perception of being unreliable.

Regarding his prediction about point pooling, I get the feeling that it is merely an amalgamation of other's legwork, sources, etc. and not necessarily a conclusion that he independently concluded was going to happen based on the evidence. No offense to anyone that likes his work but I don't see a compelling reason to subscribe.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
Welcome to Flyertalk. Some previous discussion here:

Chase survey regarding possible changes when combining points.

If Chase does this I would expect them to:

Retain the ability to combine points earned with your own cards.
Eliminate the ability to combine points with other people's cards.
Assign the same value to all points in the account at time of redemption.
I would definitely agree with you on combining points from other people's cards. That's going away or seeing some sort of limitation.

I didn't see them assigning the same value to all points at first, but the more I think about it, it makes sense. Especially as City and AMEX are introducing "5x" points cards, Chase could do the same for marketing, while having some backroom savings. If they don't go that route, I see the CSR/CSP/etc bonus going away for points earned on other cards. However, transfers would have to be impacted to, otherwise users would just go there, unless that is what Chase wants.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:10 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Super Mario
I didn't see them assigning the same value to all points at first,...
I may have meant something different that you understood, but they are both possibilities.

I mean (example) that if you transfer points from your own Freedom or Unlimited to Reserve, the points will have the same redemption value as those earned with the Reserve. This is the same as now, and I do not foresee Chase allowing points to be pooled, but tracking how they were earned, and using different redemption value from the same account. That would be too complicated.

I had not given thought to the possibility of eliminating the higher redemption value for Preferred or Reserve cards. The change from Connexions to Expedia has been more troublesome that I expected, but this may have saved Chase enough on the redemption side that they do not need to adjust the nominal monetary values.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I won't speak to the accuracy of the prediction, but I will say that if Chase tries this, I'm dumping my points into United and closing all accounts. 5/24 is bad enough.
Critterlynn, sdsearch and Caribgrl like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

There was a WSJ article in which a JP Morgan exec stated there were no current plans to prevent cardholders from pooling points. I believe Gary Leff posted the quote on his blog View From the Wing.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:14 am

Oy vey...just as I am about to apply for this card. If this were to happen I'd have no interest in collecting from the Freedom 5x categories. And it would be a short relationship with the CSR. I'd probably get a Discover card...
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:53 am
mia

Originally Posted by Caribgrl
....I'd probably get a Discover card...
Points earned with a Freedom card alone have the same value as Discover points, $0.01 each.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
If they do this it would be the biggest boneheaded move ever! I was extremely loyal to them (with the CSR and the FU) but have just in the last month applied for the new AMEX Gold card which I think a lot of people have on their radar to compete with the CSR. Let's be honest...if they implement no pooling I think it would be a win for AMEX as most people would bail and combine AMEX Gold (or Plat) and AMEX EDP as an alternative to the Chase options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.