Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months from bonus to next application, started in Aug. 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months from bonus to next application, started in Aug. 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by calculus1918
I have the CSR that I received back in September of 2016 (got the bonus in October of 2016). Just heard about the new $550 annual fee:

Can I PC the CSR to a freedom in the next few months, wait till October of 2020 and apply for the CSP to get the signup bonus?
Yes, you can do this. I suspect many people will.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:00 am
RNE

Originally Posted by calculus1918
Can I PC the CSR to a freedom in the next few months, wait till October of 2020 and apply for the CSP to get the signup bonus?

That's an option I'm considering. But why PC so soon before October?

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Yes, you can do this. I suspect many people will.
Chase, of course, knows many people will do this and, therefore, may pull the rug out from under us beforehand like they did shortly before the 24-month mark.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: *A
I haven't had a Sapphire bonus in 48 months. I'm interested in getting the CSR for the 1.5c redemption, however the CSP has a higher SUB, plus I don't need any of the other CSR benefits. Can I apply for CSP and then subsequently upgrade a Freedom to the CSR?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by sds1493
I haven't had a Sapphire bonus in 48 months. I'm interested in getting the CSR for the 1.5c redemption, however the CSP has a higher SUB, plus I don't need any of the other CSR benefits. Can I apply for CSP and then subsequently upgrade a Freedom to the CSR?
Assuming your Freedom has a minimum $10k CL and is at least 1 year old, yes you can do this. Since you aren't interested in any other CSR benefits, I suggest you do the math to ensure that the .25c bump in UR travel redemptions over the CSP is worth the annual fee.
RNE and sds1493 like this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Assuming your Freedom has a minimum $10k CL and is at least 1 year old, yes you can do this. Since you aren't interested in any other CSR benefits, I suggest you do the math to ensure that the .25c bump in UR travel redemptions over the CSP is worth the annual fee.
I did a casual look on the travel redemption we made in 2019 with the CSR. The difference between using 1.25 versus 1.50 was about $200 net all on lodgings, not very promising to justify the hike on AF, especially after giving a look on what restaurants are in the Door Dash platform for our area - 95% of them are fast foods

While we got our CSRs in late Aug but we did not earn the bonus until late Nov due to the CSRs arrived in the afternoon of the day we left the country for a 45 days trip... Given that it would be Dec 2020 we become eligible of another Sapphire bonus... But we can live 3 months without a Chase travel card, we can still cancel the CSR if there is no retention offer. Then we see if getting CSP is possible (not ruling out Chase would pull yet another stunt to prevent people gaining any benefit based on CURRENT rules).

We also have Ink+ so we will still get 1.25 if needed plus international rental car coverage since all international car rental would be primarily incl personal usage.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 10, 2020 at 11:19 am
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by RNE

Chase, of course, knows many people will do this and, therefore, may pull the rug out from under us beforehand like they did shortly before the 24-month mark.
IMO it seems very likely that Chase will tighten this 48 month restriction even further by August, since they did it before. This time around, they have even more incentive to do it since the annual fee has increased.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 9:36 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Bretmd
IMO it seems very likely that Chase will tighten this 48 month restriction even further by August, since they did it before. This time around, they have even more incentive to do it since the annual fee has increased.
Indeed! Yet the Pollyannas here go merrily along strategizing like Chase is asleep.

RNE, listening to Jamie LOL at them.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Annual fee has increased?

So it's no longer speculation?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:31 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by wco81
Annual fee has increased?

So it's no longer speculation?
Yes. It's increasing. Let's hope the 48-month limit doesn't do likewise.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by RNE
Yes. It's increasing. Let's hope the 48-month limit doesn't do likewise.
I don't think the 48 month limit will increase....if Chase does that they might as well just close the card to new applicants.

I have no data/information to prove/disprove this but I suspect the fee increase has been tactically implemented just prior to the expiration of the 48 month limit to increase fee revenue when the next wave of apps hit. Theory only.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Jan 11, 2020 at 8:30 pm
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I don't think the 48 month limit will increase....if Chase does that they might as well just close the card to new applicants.

I have no data/information to prove/disprove this but I suspect the fee increase has been tactically implemented just prior to the expiration of the 48 month limit to increase fee revenue when the next wave of apps hit. Theory only.
I'd agree. But I think the next 'wave' of applications will a 'ripple'. JMHO.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:38 am

I wonder if Chase changes the 5/24 rule...that would be interesting and definitely disqualify a lot of people from re-receiving the Sapphire bonus later this year...
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:44 am
RNE

I don't think the 48-month limit will increase...
Pardon me if I scoff. Who thought they'd extend the 24 month limit?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels

IMO the fee increase timing has nothing to do with the expiration of the 48 month limit. They are simply following the price point of the competition and attempting to make the card more profitable.

In addition - Chase only wants new customers to obtain the CSR. If it’s already a loss leader, they will likely do something to make sure existing customers can’t receive a new bonus. Last time, they made a “48 month” rule. Next time - we will see. Personally, I’m expecting some sort of further restriction. Of course, I could be wrong.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bretmd
In addition - Chase only wants new customers to obtain the CSR. If it’s already a loss leader, they will likely do something to make sure existing customers can’t receive a new bonus. Last time, they made a “48 month” rule. Next time - we will see. Personally, I’m expecting some sort of further restriction.
Wouldn't surprise me to see Chase unlink it from the CSP restriction and make CSR a once-in-a-lifetime* product.

*As we know from Amex, OIAL may not be literally once only, depending on how the back-end systems retain records.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.