Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months from bonus to next application, started in Aug. 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months from bonus to next application, started in Aug. 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by wco81
So I currently have the CSR, have had it since 2016. I got the 100k UR bonus in December 2016 or January 2017.

I've had other Chase UR bonuses since but that would be my last Sapphire bonus.

I had the CSP before then from 2011 to 2016, bonus in 2011.

If I want another Sapphire bonus, I'd apply after Dec 2020 then?

I currently have over 600k UR points in my CSR account and a few thousand spread across other Chase cards.

I can't have the CSR if I want to apply for the CSP bonus a year from now right?

So the question is how long before applying for CSP to cancel the CSR.

Also, where could I part my 600k UR points in my CSR? Can I transfer them back to Chase Freedom, Chase Ink Plus or Chase Ink Business Unlimited?

Or do I pretty much have to transfer those CSR UR points to airlines before canceling the CSR?
a. Yes, apply 48 months after receipt of your last Sapphire bonus.

b. Correct, you cannot hold the CSR if you want to apply for a CSP.

c. I wouldn't cancel the CSR, I'd product change it to a Freedom Unlimited. Wait a week, then apply for your CSP.

d. Park your CSR points on any UR earning card until you receive your new CSP.

e. You do not need to transfer the points out if you move the points to another UR earning card.

Edit: While I admire your advance planning, many things could change over the course of the next 15 months. What's policy now may not be policy then.
Happy and pallhedge like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, SW
Cautionary tale. I had the Preferred and called in Sept. to ask about upgrading to Reserved. The agent said I should apply in October when my four year anniversary occurred. I applied for Reserve in Oct. after converting my Preferred into a Freedom Unlimited Card.

I was rejected, as they said I had received a bonus in the last four years. I talked to multiple Chase representatives who each told me something different. One person told me that I needed to wait 90 days without a Sapphire product in order for it to clear all of my credit reports. Another one said I should apply in December after the anniversary of my receiving the points actually passes. Then I talked to another agent who said to wait for January 2020 in order for the whole billing cycle to pass before applying.

I will be applying again in January - after the last agent said I should reapply. In the meantime, I have no Sapphire product and Chase will do nothing for giving me the wrong information multiple times on the phone.

I guess they think their points are worth a heck of a lot - lol
Old Oct 29, 2019, 4:29 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kenpasadena
....apply in October when my four year anniversary occurred. ....
Anniversary of what event?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:34 am

Cancelling Chase Sapph Reserve and getting preferred Question

Hi All,

I haven't been getting as much use out of the Reserve card lately so I'm looking to downgrade to the Preferred but would like to get the signup bonus.

I'm wondering how long have you had to wait after cancelling one in order to get the other with the signup bonus? Assuming its less than 30 days I'd go ahead and do it, but it's a big risk to me since (from what I understand), I lose all my UR points in 30 days without holding a card.

Any help is appreciated.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by VLtone
Hi All,

I haven't been getting as much use out of the Reserve card lately so I'm looking to downgrade to the Preferred but would like to get the signup bonus.

I'm wondering how long have you had to wait after cancelling one in order to get the other with the signup bonus? Assuming its less than 30 days I'd go ahead and do it, but it's a big risk to me since (from what I understand), I lose all my UR points in 30 days without holding a card.

Any help is appreciated.
When did you receive the bonus for your CSR card? If less than 48 months ago you're out of luck on getting another bonus on the CSP.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:52 am
mia

...it's a big risk to me since (from what I understand), I lose all my UR points in 30 days without holding a card.
To eliminate this risk, downgrade Sapphire Reserve to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mia
To eliminate this risk, downgrade Sapphire Reserve to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited.
Or, just apply for one of the Ink cards, with a 20K UR bonus, and then xfer your UR and close your CSR.

https://creditcards.chase.com/all-cr...ards&CELL=6TKW
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:17 am

Thanks guys.

Didn't realize there was a 4 year window and my 3 year card anniversary is today. I think I'll hold onto the card for 1 more year and then try to get the CSP bonus next year.

Back to the original question assuming it's been 48 months of ownership, how difficult is that transition? Can you just cancel CSR and apply for the CSP? Or does it require a lengthier gap?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:42 am
mia

.... 48 months of ownership....
48 months is measured from the date your most recent Sapphire bonus posted to your UR account, not from the date that you opened the card.
beltway likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by mia
48 months is measured from the date your most recent Sapphire bonus posted to your UR account, not from the date that you opened the card.
Ok fair enough. So around the end of next year. So are you saying I could cancel the CSR on 48 months and 1 day and apply for CSP on 48 months and 2 days and I'd be good?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:56 am
mia

It may take Chase's system some time to recognize that you are not currently a Sapphire card holder. This is why it is suggested that you downgrade the Reserve to Freedom, which preserves the points, wait about a week, and then apply for Sapphire Preferred. You can move the points from Freedom to Sapphire later.
beltway and VLtone like this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:48 am

Ok fair enough. So around the end of next year. So are you saying I could cancel the CSR on 48 months and 1 day and apply for CSP on 48 months and 2 days and I'd be good?
No. If you cancel a Sapphire card, you need to wait at least 30 days to apply for another Sapphire card. It's better in nearly every way to downgrade your CSR to a Freedom instead of cancelling. This preserves your UR points and you only need to wait a week (instead of a month) to apply for the next Sapphire card.
Happy likes this.

Last edited by pallhedge; Nov 2, 2019 at 7:48 am Reason: spelling correction
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Is Freedom the only downgrade choice for CSR or CSP?

I already have Freedom.

When you downgrade, you can't get any of the bonuses right, for instance if I downgrade to Freedom Unlimited?

And is it definitely the case that downgrading to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited will retain all the points you have in CSR/CSP? Or better to transfer them to other UR earning accounts first?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by wco81
Is Freedom the only downgrade choice for CSR or CSP?

I already have Freedom.

When you downgrade, you can't get any of the bonuses right, for instance if I downgrade to Freedom Unlimited?

And is it definitely the case that downgrading to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited will retain all the points you have in CSR/CSP? Or better to transfer them to other UR earning accounts first?
Freedom and Freedom Unlimited are both UR points earning accounts so each will retain your CSR/CSP points if/when you downgrade.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 9:52 am

Can't wait! Need to cancel/combine some Chase cards in the next 12 months! Get back on the Chase game!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.