Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months from bonus to next application, started in Aug. 2018.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sapphire (CSR & CSP) 48 months from bonus to next application, started in Aug. 2018.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:15 pm

I don't cross 48 months since my CSR bonus posted until 04/21, so in the mean time I am looking to upgrade my CSP to the CSR. Will a hard credit pull occur for this upgrade? Also, will this is any way impact me being able to get the CSR bonus again after 04/21?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by departingBOS
I don't cross 48 months since my CSR bonus posted until 04/21, so in the mean time I am looking to upgrade my CSP to the CSR. Will a hard credit pull occur for this upgrade? Also, will this is any way impact me being able to get the CSR bonus again after 04/21?
No and no.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by departingBOS
You need a minimum of $10K credit limit on your CSP to upgrade to CSR. If your CSP has less than $10K credit limit, it will be a hard pull on your credit.

You'll need to downgrade the upgraded CSR to something that is outside of the Sapphire family of cards prior to applying for a new CSR after 4/21 to obtain the bonus.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 5:50 pm

I got the CSR when it first came out and I closed it 2 years later. I take it that I won't get the bonus if I applied? No idea why I closed it. I should have downgraded to a no fee card.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
I got the CSR when it first came out and I closed it 2 years later. I take it that I won't get the bonus if I applied? No idea why I closed it. I should have downgraded to a no fee card.
Chase doesn't approve new cards without sign up bonus -- you won't be able to get a new CSR or CSP until 48 months since last Sapphire bonus payout

If you have an existing Chase card that's at least 1yr old (like Freedom or maybe Slate) then you can upgrade that to CSR without a sign up bonus
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Jatan
Chase doesn't approve new cards without sign up bonus -- you won't be able to get a new CSR or CSP until 48 months since last Sapphire bonus payout

If you have an existing Chase card that's at least 1yr old (like Freedom or maybe Slate) then you can upgrade that to CSR without a sign up bonus
Wow I didn't know that. I thought they were like Amex won't give you welcome bonus if you had card.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by trikotret
Wow I didn't know that. I thought they were like Amex won't give you welcome bonus if you had card.
Nope -- that's why everyone recommends downgrading to CF/CFU so you can upgrade in the future when you need the card again
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jatan
Nope -- that's why everyone recommends downgrading to CF/CFU so you can upgrade in the future when you need the card again
That and its a bad idea to close credit cards (in terms of credit score and credit history)

Last edited by philemer; Nov 15, 2019 at 7:55 pm Reason: edit rude comment
Old Nov 17, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: *A
Rookie question, but can I upgrade from Freedom to CSR and still be eligible to subsequently get the CSR/CSP bonus?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by sds1493
Rookie question, but can I upgrade from Freedom to CSR and still be eligible to subsequently get the CSR/CSP bonus?
Sign up bonus is for new card app only -- product changes don't qualify for new card bonus

48 months is from last Sapphire bonus payout -- doing a PC won't change your future bonus eligibility date since you're not getting a bonus
sds1493 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 7:50 am
RNE

Because the CSR card came out in August 2016 (i.e. less than 48 months ago), nobody who acquired a CSR card is currently eligible to receive another bonus? Correct?
Old Dec 29, 2019, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Because the CSR card came out in August 2016 (i.e. less than 48 months ago), nobody who acquired a CSR card is currently eligible to receive another bonus? Correct?
Anyone who acquired the card but failed to earn the bonus is still eligible, assuming s/he no longer has the card as of the new application. I think you're correct otherwise.
RNE likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Because the CSR card came out in August 2016 (i.e. less than 48 months ago), nobody who acquired a CSR card received a signup bonus for CSR is currently eligible to receive another bonus be approved for any new Sapphire card.
I've corrected your quote above.
RNE likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:37 am
RNE

Originally Posted by beltway
Anyone who acquired the card but failed to earn the bonus is still eligible, assuming s/he no longer has the card as of the new application. I think you're correct otherwise.
So, it's safe to say there will be a gold rush in fall, 2020, preceded by a lot of scheming on our parts.*

*Subject to Chase watering-down bonus points/perks and/or raising fees and/or moving the minimum-months goalposts again.

RNE, a prospector.
lax01 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 3:09 am

I have the CSR that I received back in September of 2016 (got the bonus in October of 2016). Just heard about the new $550 annual fee:

Can I PC the CSR to a freedom in the next few months, wait till October of 2020 and apply for the CSP to get the signup bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.