Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

In 2018 Chase changed the outsourced booking portal operator from Connexions to Expedia. Posts from January to mid-October 2018 have been archived to a separate thread. Those posts discussed the portal as operated by Connexions, -and- the transition process to Expedia.

There is another thread to discuss booking by transferring to airline of hotel programs: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...tc-2017-a.html

Pay special attention to booking via Chase UR/Expedia with regard to rewards and benefits. Chase UR + Expedia is considered OTA (Online Travel Agency). Travelers purchase or pre-pay travel with the OTA and is subject to the T&C from the OTA. In general, travelers receive miles rewards on flights, but do not receive night credit on hotel stays. Also, in general, travelers lose the airline or hotel status and do not receive the associated benefits (free breakfast, room upgrade etc).

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

3.5) How to book cruises?
Chase outsources this to a travel agency specializing in cruises. (I believe they are available solely by telephone.) Agents there can book cruises for you using your URs for payments from initial deposit to final payment. It's also possible to transfer an existing cruise booking to that travel agency. That agency can then make payments (full or partial). However, to transfer a booking, there are some constraints to be aware of. A) The booking and deposit has to be made directly with the cruise line. If you use another agency, you're out of luck. B) The cruise lines limit the window when you can transfer a booking from their control to an agency's. It closes as early as 30 days after initial deposit up to final deposit due date (typically 75-120 prior to sail date) depending on the particular cruise line's rules (which are subject to change).

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve or JPMR card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

4.5) How do Refunds Work?
When cancelling a booking (and a refund is due), points will be added back to your UR balance and dollars will be refunded to the credit card account used.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2017, can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...14-2017-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Having my first experiences with the total destruction of the Chase UR booking portal. What a joke. Trying to help my sis and bro-in-law book their 10th anniversary vacation to Greece. I thought well they have Chase UR points, maybe they can book some of their inter-island flights via the portal. Nope! This is so ridiculous I can't believe it. For example they want to fly Chania to Athens one way. NONE of the Aegean Airlines flight show as an option on the Chase portal, while they are readily bookable on Expedia. What an utter joke! Wow, really makes me re-think my blind loyalty to Chase UR.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Having my first experiences with the total destruction of the Chase UR booking portal. What a joke. Trying to help my sis and bro-in-law book their 10th anniversary vacation to Greece. I thought well they have Chase UR points, maybe they can book some of their inter-island flights via the portal. Nope! This is so ridiculous I can't believe it. For example they want to fly Chania to Athens one way. NONE of the Aegean Airlines flight show as an option on the Chase portal, while they are readily bookable on Expedia. What an utter joke! Wow, really makes me re-think my blind loyalty to Chase UR.
I rest my case
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:11 am

Last year before the UR portal switched to Expedia, I was not able to get the flights I wanted. I called, and an agent was able to book them for me. The price was higher than I could have gotten it on other OTAs or directly with the airline, but it was close enough that I still booked using UR points for the 1.5x value. The higher price made the value more like 1.25x though!

I would recommend calling and hopefully an agent can get what you want.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by g289t
...I would recommend calling and hopefully an agent can get what you want.
That did not work for me with an NZ itinerary that I had no trouble booking directly with the airline.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:45 am

Horrible Customer Service(CSR) Travel Services.

I have never have been on hold for such an extended period of time. So, booked a trip via Chase Ur web site. The return flight had to be changed and the new date didn't work for us. I figured a "quick" call to Chase Travel Services would remedy the problem. All I was looking for was to cancel the flight, get my points back and re-book. Easy, right? Not so fast. Called Chase travel services last night, was on hold for 2 hours, thank goodness for speaker phones). Finally gave in. Proceeded to call the Chase Sapphire Reserve customer service number and complain; it fell on deaf ears. The CS actually offered to take a complainant. I responded, it will fall on deaf ears in which he responded, "Yeah, your probably right. American Express would NEVER say that. Anyway, decided lets give this another shot, I have been on hold for 32:37 seconds as I type this. Thank goodness I am getting other things accomplished while on speaker phone. So, besides hanging on hold forever, do I have any recourse? Also, pretty sure I am going to DUMP this card after I cash out all my UR points, do they pro rate the AF? I have been an AE member since 1997 and have NEVER experienced anything remotely like this. I am not looking to turn this into a credit card vs. credit card war, just wanted to vent. Thank you.
BTW: On hold 36:19 seconds now.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by sandman512
I have never have been on hold for such an extended period of time. So, booked a trip via Chase Ur web site. The return flight had to be changed and the new date didn't work for us. I figured a "quick" call to Chase Travel Services would remedy the problem. All I was looking for was to cancel the flight, get my points back and re-book. Easy, right? Not so fast. Called Chase travel services last night, was on hold for 2 hours, thank goodness for speaker phones). Finally gave in. Proceeded to call the Chase Sapphire Reserve customer service number and complain; it fell on deaf ears. The CS actually offered to take a complainant. I responded, it will fall on deaf ears in which he responded, "Yeah, your probably right. American Express would NEVER say that. Anyway, decided lets give this another shot, I have been on hold for 32:37 seconds as I type this. Thank goodness I am getting other things accomplished while on speaker phone. So, besides hanging on hold forever, do I have any recourse? Also, pretty sure I am going to DUMP this card after I cash out all my UR points, do they pro rate the AF? I have been an AE member since 1997 and have NEVER experienced anything remotely like this. I am not looking to turn this into a credit card vs. credit card war, just wanted to vent. Thank you.
BTW: On hold 36:19 seconds now.
Just in case you could not reach Chase Travel, you could try contacting the airline directly. I actually had to do the same thing last year. One of the flight got changed and I called the airline (because the email was from the airline and the call back number was right there). The guy looked at my confirmation number and said "Oh you booked thru a travel agency. Normally you would have to contact them to make the change, but let me see what I can do..." In the ended he changed the flight for us. Worth a try.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:38 am

Just want to apologize to the Chase gods. Clearly they heard my rant above so naturally when I go to book our last minute getaway, the Chase portal price is nearly identical to Expedia (within $10 on a $400 room) and easily bookable with points. And over $100 less than booking directly through the hotel (don't have IHG status nor will I ever so [redacted] about not earning points). Very happy I was able to liquidate! Did not want 300k sitting around there doing nothing - I already have enough worthless AA miles.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Apr 20, 2019 at 7:29 am Reason: redacted masked vulgarity
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:19 am

Just want to apologize to the Chase gods. Clearly they heard my rant above so naturally when I go to book our last minute getaway, the Chase portal price is nearly identical to Expedia (within $10 on a $400 room) and easily bookable with points. And over $100 less than booking directly through the hotel (don't have IHG status nor will I ever so [redacted] about not earning points). Very happy I was able to liquidate! Did not want 300k sitting around there doing nothing - I already have enough worthless AA miles.
You had a good ending to the story but can one really trust them in the future ? I just transfer out and looking around for an alternative card when my current Reserve comes up for renewal

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Apr 20, 2019 at 7:29 am Reason: edited redacted quote
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
You had a good ending to the story but can one really trust them in the future ? I just transfer out and looking around for an alternative card when my current Reserve comes up for renewal
Totally agree. I'm gonna think long and hard about amex platinum. Open to other suggestions too. Just happy I was able to liquidate a good chunk of points and somehow still extract some value, despite Chase's best efforts.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:32 am

Totally agree. I'm gonna think long and hard about amex platinum. Open to other suggestions too. Just happy I was able to liquidate a good chunk of points and somehow still extract some value, despite Chase's best efforts.
I have a PLT card and a "everyday card" I might just revert to that
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:45 am

Buying Mix Economy and Business

Does the portal not allow you to buy an economy ticket one way and a business ticket the other? Trying to do this for a Qatar flight, but there doesn't seem to be a way around it unless I get one-ways, which are way more expensive because it's international?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:41 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Canceling UR air ticket within 24 hrs but phone center is closed: instant redeposit?

I am considering canceling and rebooking a QF ticket I bought this morning with UR points. The call center is closed for the next 40 hours so I would have to do it all online. If I cancel will the points come back to my account immediately, or will there be a delay? How do I accomplish the cancellation, via UR portal or on the Qantas site? The fare sale ends Monday night and I don’t want to risk not getting seats on the dates I want.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I am considering canceling and rebooking a QF ticket I bought this morning with UR points. The call center is closed for the next 40 hours so I would have to do it all online. If I cancel will the points come back to my account immediately, or will there be a delay? How do I accomplish the cancellation, via UR portal or on the Qantas site? The fare sale ends Monday night and I don’t want to risk not getting seats on the dates I want.
You should be fine the call center is down not Chase !
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:54 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I kept my original reservation after concluding that the extra week I had been considering would probably be too much. After I made that decision the price of my original dates increased. That made me feel good about booking early in the sale period and not changing.
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Data Point is my success booking a dinky little domestic round trip in first at the same price in points as it was in cash on the Delta website.

Quite a change from my earlier effort to book a multi-stop itinerary downunder for which they had only coach seats despite the availability of premium and business being wide-open on the NZ site.

Now we have a better idea of what bookings actually will work with UP points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.