Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

In 2018 Chase changed the outsourced booking portal operator from Connexions to Expedia. Posts from January to mid-October 2018 have been archived to a separate thread. Those posts discussed the portal as operated by Connexions, -and- the transition process to Expedia.

There is another thread to discuss booking by transferring to airline of hotel programs: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...tc-2017-a.html

Pay special attention to booking via Chase UR/Expedia with regard to rewards and benefits. Chase UR + Expedia is considered OTA (Online Travel Agency). Travelers purchase or pre-pay travel with the OTA and is subject to the T&C from the OTA. In general, travelers receive miles rewards on flights, but do not receive night credit on hotel stays. Also, in general, travelers lose the airline or hotel status and do not receive the associated benefits (free breakfast, room upgrade etc).

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

3.5) How to book cruises?
Chase outsources this to a travel agency specializing in cruises. (I believe they are available solely by telephone.) Agents there can book cruises for you using your URs for payments from initial deposit to final payment. It's also possible to transfer an existing cruise booking to that travel agency. That agency can then make payments (full or partial). However, to transfer a booking, there are some constraints to be aware of. A) The booking and deposit has to be made directly with the cruise line. If you use another agency, you're out of luck. B) The cruise lines limit the window when you can transfer a booking from their control to an agency's. It closes as early as 30 days after initial deposit up to final deposit due date (typically 75-120 prior to sail date) depending on the particular cruise line's rules (which are subject to change).

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve or JPMR card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

4.5) How do Refunds Work?
When cancelling a booking (and a refund is due), points will be added back to your UR balance and dollars will be refunded to the credit card account used.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2017, can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...14-2017-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
Generally speaking, schedule changes are fantastic if you weren't able to originally book the flights you wanted because of price. Schedule changes allow you, if you don't violate MCT or Routing Rules, to any other flights you want, assuming you stick with their flights.
I am in the middle of dealing with Chase travel right now over a schedule change. However, the issue I'm having is my fault.

I am flying Emirates between Africa and the US. After purchasing the ticket, Emirates dropped the earlier of the two daily flights from my departure airport. They rebooked me onto the later flight, which gets me into Dubai too late to catch my connecting flight to the US. I was automatically rebooked onto the same flight to the US the following day. The problem with this is that instead of a 3h 35m layover, I now have a 20h 30m layover in Dubai. I am more flexible on my departure date than the arrival date, so I requested that they move the new default rebooked schedule to a day earlier. I am now scheduled to depart the evening before I was planning to originally, but arriving in the US at the same time as originally scheduled. But I still have the long layover that I did not have before.

After accepting the change, I got to looking at alternatives. I can take Emirates to Boston and then fly JetBlue to my destination. The JetBlue flight even has an Emirates flight number. I called Chase travel back and asked to be rebooked onto that. It will avoid the long layover in Dubai and get me to the US about 14 hours earlier. They came back a couple days later and said that because I had already accepted an alternative, this change would be considered a voluntary change, with any change fees applying.

I am trying again and asking them to reconsider, using the forced long layover as my lever. The itinerary via BOS would eliminate that, more like I had with the originally booked schedule. Do those of you with any experience with Chase travel know if I have a chance with this? I know that I already accepted the change and this is all on me. I wish that I would have researched more before accepting what I did. Then this should be no problem. But I'm thinking that because of the new schedule's long layover which I didn't have before, they might accommodate me. Any chance?
Old May 26, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
My friend just forwarded me his itinerary booked today and it looks like the JPMorgan Reserve card is still with Connexions Loyalty?
Old May 26, 2019, 8:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
My friend just forwarded me his itinerary booked today and it looks like the JPMorgan Reserve card is still with Connexions Loyalty?
It appears that Chase recently changed the travel agency for the JP Morgan card, discussion here, beginning at post 1801:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...l#post31043584
Old May 26, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
As the posts linked by mia reveal, JPMR used to use John Paul, and now uses Connextions.

Last edited by 747FC; May 26, 2019 at 9:04 pm
Old May 26, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Ahh thanks, I thought all ultimate rewards moved to Expedia but I guess JPM Reserve is exempted - interesting since they pitch it as an “upgrade” and that’s their highest end card..
Old May 27, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ahh thanks, I thought all ultimate rewards moved to Expedia but I guess JPM Reserve is exempted - interesting since they pitch it as an “upgrade” and that’s their highest end card..
Well, as bad as Connexions is, at least they can still do a lot of things manually. Expeda is much much worse. So yeah, Chase knew Connexions is better, hence JPM got it instead of fallen to Expedia level.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Happy
Well, as bad as Connexions is, at least they can still do a lot of things manually. Expeda is much much worse. So yeah, Chase knew Connexions is better, hence JPM got it instead of fallen to Expedia level.
I just talked to a JP Morgan travel agent, who said that Connextions is the same company as Aspire Lifestyle.
Old May 27, 2019, 5:23 pm
mia

Originally Posted by 747FC
....agent, who said that Connextions is the same company as Aspire Lifestyle.
This does not appear to be literally true, but it may be that Aspire uses Connexions to fulfill travel requests.

https://www.aspirelifestyles.com/en

Connexions Loyalty ? Customer Loyalty Programs | Travel Leaders | Rewards Content
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:40 am

Chase UR Hotel Prices Higher Than Booking with Hotel

Have you noticed that ever since they switched to Expedia that when booking using UR points the price is higher than booking directly with the hotel? As much as $60 higher with Chase than the hotels regular price. I have had this happen several times. I guess this is their way of jipping us out of the fact they claim UR points are worth 50% more when booking travel.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:45 am
mia

Originally Posted by pilotwife
....I guess this is their way of jipping us out of the fact they claim UR points are worth 50% more when booking travel.
How do the prices compare with those offered on expedia.com ? That's the only comparison that Chase would be able to verify.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by mia
How do the prices compare with those offered on expedia.com ? That's the only comparison that Chase would be able to verify.
On Expedia.com they are the same price as on Chase but the hotel is $60 cheaper
Old Jun 3, 2019, 8:58 am
mia

On Expedia.com they are the same price as on Chase but the hotel is $60 cheaper
If Expedia is not changing Chase cardholders more than the general public this doesn't seem to have anything to do with point valuation.

In my understanding, properties which list with Expedia and Priceline agree not to undercut their prices. The lower price for direct booking may have slightly different restrictions, which may not matter to you, but justify the rate difference -or- the property is ignoring the contract terms.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by mia
If Expedia is not changing Chase cardholders more than the general public this doesn't seem to have anything to do with point valuation.

In my understanding, properties which list with Expedia and Priceline agree not to undercut their prices. The lower price for direct booking may have slightly different restrictions, which may not matter to you, but justify the rate difference -or- the property is ignoring the contract terms.
But Expedia is charging more to the general public because the rate is lower at the hotel. The rate for the same room on the same travel day is $60 more on Expedia.com and on Chase UR. And as far as restrictions they both have to be canceled by the same date for the exact same room
Old Jun 3, 2019, 9:11 am
mia

But Expedia is charging more to the general public because the rate is lower at the hotel.....
Understood, but that has nothing to do with Chase or Ultimate Rewards. Hotel prices are inflated to pay commissions, loyalty program benefits, etc. I would start by asking Expedia to match the hotel's rate.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:12 am

I found that most hotels are undercutting Expedia price these days. Sure if you book the normal rate, they are about the same. But if you have membership rate, it is usually cheaper. Some hotels got free breakfast and internet only if you book directly with them. This has nothing to do with Ultimate Reward though.. because if that's Expedia rate, nothing UR could do. This seems to happen more often with the big chain hotels. If I look for Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt thru Expedia.. Expedia seems to be either the same price or higher. If I look for independent hotels or smaller chain like Omni... Expedia is cheaper.
I think it is because those big chain guarantee you that if you book directly you will get the lowest rate. So there is really no win for Expedia... at most they could be at the same rate... but then why book with Expedia if you could book directly with the hotel at the same rate? So they probably just raise the rate and make the other hotels more attractive. It is actually working... because the first thing I do was to look thru their hotel on sales first... instead of looking for a specific hotel chain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.