Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

In 2018 Chase changed the outsourced booking portal operator from Connexions to Expedia. Posts from January to mid-October 2018 have been archived to a separate thread. Those posts discussed the portal as operated by Connexions, -and- the transition process to Expedia.

There is another thread to discuss booking by transferring to airline of hotel programs: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...tc-2017-a.html

Pay special attention to booking via Chase UR/Expedia with regard to rewards and benefits. Chase UR + Expedia is considered OTA (Online Travel Agency). Travelers purchase or pre-pay travel with the OTA and is subject to the T&C from the OTA. In general, travelers receive miles rewards on flights, but do not receive night credit on hotel stays. Also, in general, travelers lose the airline or hotel status and do not receive the associated benefits (free breakfast, room upgrade etc).

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

3.5) How to book cruises?
Chase outsources this to a travel agency specializing in cruises. (I believe they are available solely by telephone.) Agents there can book cruises for you using your URs for payments from initial deposit to final payment. It's also possible to transfer an existing cruise booking to that travel agency. That agency can then make payments (full or partial). However, to transfer a booking, there are some constraints to be aware of. A) The booking and deposit has to be made directly with the cruise line. If you use another agency, you're out of luck. B) The cruise lines limit the window when you can transfer a booking from their control to an agency's. It closes as early as 30 days after initial deposit up to final deposit due date (typically 75-120 prior to sail date) depending on the particular cruise line's rules (which are subject to change).

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve or JPMR card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

4.5) How do Refunds Work?
When cancelling a booking (and a refund is due), points will be added back to your UR balance and dollars will be refunded to the credit card account used.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2017, can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...14-2017-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Is it worth redeeming UR for $0.015 each when booking through UR portal with CSR or transfer the points to an airline or hotel program? The bad part about booking flights with award points is that MQM or RDM accrual. I think I read that I'm better off booking with UR points so that I can accrue RDM and MQM?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by lsquare
Is it worth redeeming UR for $0.015 each when booking through UR portal with CSR or transfer the points to an airline or hotel program? The bad part about booking flights with award points is that MQM or RDM accrual. I think I read that I'm better off booking with UR points so that I can accrue RDM and MQM?
Yes & no. It'll vary by person. You need to run the numbers, factor in benefits and make your own decision. I've booked hotels & flights and it has saved me money. I mostly use the UR pts for car rentals.

The only transfers I've made are to Hyatt & SWA.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj

Worse than here?

As an aside, I understand cruises with UR points can’t be booked online... are the phone reps specifically for cruises, or are they the standard Expedia agents?
Oh yeah, cruisecritic posters are extremely brand loyal and very snobbish - esp the members who use luxury lines only. But even within the mass market lines, there are many many long time members do long cruises in the top categories, as evidenced by discussions on which is the cabin with the Aft Balcony (a very large, wrapped around, over 150sqft or more) would be the best at which deck and which corner or similar types are very popular. You get the picture.

My experience this Spring was that they are NOT Expedia agents.

Even the hotel bookings or airline bookings the phone agents are NOT direct Expedia agents. I fished out some tricky answers and got the idea that the bookings are handled by Expedia's dept that handles corporate bookings, not the same agents that handle the Expedia site bookings as we know it. The agents I talked to, reluctantly admitted they are Expedia employees but not the same as how the Public perceived (the OTA site).

For those who want to use UR to book cruises, I suggest you to check the Expedia site for availability and pricing of your targeted cruises before you call. This would save you a lot of time and aggravation.
Always bear in mind too, that UR and Expedia carry different inventory with different prices on the same lodging option - even the cancellation conditions are the same. More often than not, the cancellation conditions would be slightly different. Almost 100% of the time, whenever there are price differences on the same property, UR is always MORE EXPENSIVE than Expedia site / Booking.com site , EVEN when the cancellation conditions are the same.

There are a lot of factors to consider when to use UR pts for what. I say that this is probably the most YMMV situation as to how much value UR pts bring.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Actually I’ve just started browsing CruiseCritic as I’m planning a trip to Alaska, so I’m seeing what you mean. The destination forums seem civil, but the cruise line forums... not so much, lol. I looked into using my UR points for this trip as I was about to cancel my Sapphire Reserve, but it ended up not being a good deal, so I just transferred my points to Hyatt instead.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 4:56 pm

UR Redemption through Chase @ 1.25cpp or Expedia @ 1cpp

Booked a trip from LAX-BKK last night and had 24 hour cancellation, and I found a cheaper trip on Expedia and want to make sure I'm not making a mistake here. This is my first big UR redemption (104K UR) so I don't want to be a dumbdumb. Here's the rundown:
  • 104k UR Points
    • Worth $1,300 through Chase travel portal @ 1.25cpp
    • Worth $1,040 through statement credit @ 1cpp
The trip I booked through UR was $1913, but I found similar trip for $1600 on Expedia:
  • Chase UR $1913 cost -$1300 (UR@ 1.25cpp) = $613 out of pocket
  • Expedia $1600 cost -$1040 (UR @ 1cpp) = $560 out of pocket
Plus I can get a 10% ($160) Ebates credit booking through Expedia, bringing paid out of pocket to $400

If I'm not being stupid, I can save $213 by cancelling my UR redemption and rebooking through Expedia. That leads me to two questions:
  • If I cancel the UR redemption, how quickly do I get those points back? Since in scenario 2 I'll just redeem for statement credit, I'm not really in a pinch for time, just curious
  • Is this worth the risk to cancel & try and rebook at Expedia rate for $200 savings?
I know this is not a great redemption, but the GF and I have a small window we can go on this Thailand trip so I'm just going with it. Thanks for any advice
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by acarey
Booked a trip from LAX-BKK last night and had 24 hour cancellation, and I found a cheaper trip on Expedia and want to make sure I'm not making a mistake here. This is my first big UR redemption (104K UR) so I don't want to be a dumbdumb. Here's the rundown:
  • 104k UR Points
The trip I booked through UR was $1913, but I found similar trip for $1600 on Expedia:
Plus I can get a 10% ($160) Ebates credit booking through Expedia, bringing paid out of pocket to $400

If I'm not being stupid, I can save $213 by cancelling my UR redemption and rebooking through Expedia. That leads me to two questions:
  • If I cancel the UR redemption, how quickly do I get those points back? Since in scenario 2 I'll just redeem for statement credit, I'm not really in a pinch for time, just curious
  • Is this worth the risk to cancel & try and rebook at Expedia rate for $200 savings?
I know this is not a great redemption, but the GF and I have a small window we can go on this Thailand trip so I'm just going with it. Thanks for any advice
What did you book? Hotel? Airfare?

You get the points back immediately.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acarey
  • 104k UR Points

A perfect example why UR booking is NOT always it is hyped up to be (by Chase and by the bloggers). One really needs to do hard calculation to see whether the saving is worth it, or there is actually a saving at all (and not actually paying more!)

Points come back to your account immediately if it is for hotels. Not sure about airline tickets. the cash portion comes back to your credit card a few days after the cancellation but often in less than a week.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:56 pm

Chase Sapphire Question: worth it to get before booking?

I'm pretty new at this points game and through another thread I posted to, it was recommended I consider getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve so that I can redeem our current points total of 258,000 at 1.5 cpp instead of through our Chase Ink Business Preferred where the points currently sit, which is 1.25 cpp. I want to see if I'm figuring this correctly: I picked some possible dates for 4 RT airfare tickets we want to get next summer to Hawaii. When logged in to CUR, it says total points is 241,664 points OR $3020.68. However, if we "do" get the Chase Sapphire Reserve and move all our points to it, it would only actually cost us 201,378 points, correct? This saves us a little over 40,000 points (so about $400). The annual fee on the Saphhire Reserve is $450. I think I read we would get a $300 travel credit if we get the Reserve. So in reality, we are saving about $250? Did I figure this right? Are there any other perks to getting the Sapphire? We have a Chase Ink Cash card as well and currently using it on fuel, restaurants, cell phone, cable, internet, etc. since it gets us more points in those categories. Any advice? Not in a super big hurry to book the airfare since it's about a year out, but want to make sure I'm understanding correctly on best way to play this game before we book. In all honesty, if we find a price we like, I'd love to book sooner rather than later. Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by coloradotraveler
I'm pretty new at this points game and through another thread I posted to, it was recommended I consider getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve so that I can redeem our current points total of 258,000 at 1.5 cpp instead of through our Chase Ink Business Preferred where the points currently sit, which is 1.25 cpp. I want to see if I'm figuring this correctly: I picked some possible dates for 4 RT airfare tickets we want to get next summer to Hawaii. When logged in to CUR, it says total points is 241,664 points OR $3020.68. However, if we "do" get the Chase Sapphire Reserve and move all our points to it, it would only actually cost us 201,378 points, correct? This saves us a little over 40,000 points (so about $400). The annual fee on the Saphhire Reserve is $450. I think I read we would get a $300 travel credit if we get the Reserve. So in reality, we are saving about $250? Did I figure this right? Are there any other perks to getting the Sapphire? We have a Chase Ink Cash card as well and currently using it on fuel, restaurants, cell phone, cable, internet, etc. since it gets us more points in those categories. Any advice? Not in a super big hurry to book the airfare since it's about a year out, but want to make sure I'm understanding correctly on best way to play this game before we book. In all honesty, if we find a price we like, I'd love to book sooner rather than later. Thanks!
Get the reserve first.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
A couple of ways to look at it, but here's how I'd consider it. The basic answer is: get the CSR first. Here's the why.

OK,you're saving 40,000 UR. The value of that could be seen as $600 (40K * 1.5 cents), but the incremental vaue is 40K * .25 cents (1.5 - 1.25) I think. That's because you'd still be able to get 1.25 for any UR with your other card. The reason I use that value is that by assuming you don't take that trip but got the card you'd still have the full 240K UR but only at .25 cents more value than the Biz Preferred. 40K * .25 is $100.

The CSR comes with the $300 travel waiver, which I value as straight up cash. Reasoning: if you don't spend $300 in Chase's very broad travel categories in a year, why are you even in this game? So you are currently at -$50 for the year with the card.

Biggest perk, depending on home airport and frequent travel patterns: Priority Pass access. Good for 3 people (you and 2 guests) at lounges and restaurants. Domestically, the lounges are mediocre at best with a few exceptions, but if you're like me the benefit of a free meal and a place to work is very useful (I get to the airport early because I *hate* stressing about security, airport layouts, etc). If you have mid-level status with an airline that has a lounge at your home airport that limits the value a bit, but I assume you don't. So If you travel a few times a year and pop into airport restaurants/lounges each time that's a pretty quick $100+ in value. If you bring 1 or 2 people with you that just multiplies the value.

Finally, you can also add to the value of all future UR you earn at a minimum of .25 cents. If you add 100K UR through spend each year, that's $250 extra value with the CSR over the Biz Preferred. That's assuming you'll generally use the portal instead of transferring, which makes sense given the cost of economy tickets with flexibility in your schedule.

Sum total: if you get the CSR, save the points, use the PP, and earn significant UR, you're looking at coming out a few hundred bucks ahead even with the annual fee. That's not considering the sign-up/minimum send bonus I'd expect you'll get.
DoB840 and Pittie Pup like this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
A couple of ways to look at it, but here's how I'd consider it. The basic answer is: get the CSR first. Here's the why.

OK,you're saving 40,000 UR. The value of that could be seen as $600 (40K * 1.5 cents), but the incremental vaue is 40K * .25 cents (1.5 - 1.25) I think. That's because you'd still be able to get 1.25 for any UR with your other card. The reason I use that value is that by assuming you don't take that trip but got the card you'd still have the full 240K UR but only at .25 cents more value than the Biz Preferred. 40K * .25 is $100.

The CSR comes with the $300 travel waiver, which I value as straight up cash. Reasoning: if you don't spend $300 in Chase's very broad travel categories in a year, why are you even in this game? So you are currently at -$50 for the year with the card.

Biggest perk, depending on home airport and frequent travel patterns: Priority Pass access. Good for 3 people (you and 2 guests) at lounges and restaurants. Domestically, the lounges are mediocre at best with a few exceptions, but if you're like me the benefit of a free meal and a place to work is very useful (I get to the airport early because I *hate* stressing about security, airport layouts, etc). If you have mid-level status with an airline that has a lounge at your home airport that limits the value a bit, but I assume you don't. So If you travel a few times a year and pop into airport restaurants/lounges each time that's a pretty quick $100+ in value. If you bring 1 or 2 people with you that just multiplies the value.

Finally, you can also add to the value of all future UR you earn at a minimum of .25 cents. If you add 100K UR through spend each year, that's $250 extra value with the CSR over the Biz Preferred. That's assuming you'll generally use the portal instead of transferring, which makes sense given the cost of economy tickets with flexibility in your schedule.

Sum total: if you get the CSR, save the points, use the PP, and earn significant UR, you're looking at coming out a few hundred bucks ahead even with the annual fee. That's not considering the sign-up/minimum send bonus I'd expect you'll get.
SighseeMC, thank you so much for taking the time to explain this and give me your point of view . Another perk I thought I read about .... travel insurance . What is this all about or how does it work ? We rarely fly anywhere .

Also, since there are 4 of us , how does the priority pass access work ? Our home airport is DEN.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by coloradotraveler
SighseeMC, thank you so much for taking the time to explain this and give me your point of view . Another perk I thought I read about .... travel insurance . What is this all about or how does it work ? We rarely fly anywhere .

Also, since there are 4 of us , how does the priority pass access work ? Our home airport is DEN.
Well, the good news is that you can get $28 per person at Timberline Steakhouse at DEN for up to 3 people with Priority Pass. So that's $84 credit whenever you're there with 3+ people. Of course, that's off the total bill; you don't segregate by person (meaning if 4 - or 6 or 12 or 50 - of you eat for under $84, your meal is free). Do tip staff at the appropriate level commensurate with the cash value of the meal. I cannot vouch for the quality of food and drink, just that it's available.

CSR has great travel insurance/protection when you pay for your trip with the card. I would read some online points blogs regarding the particulars of the insurance, and it's comparison to the Biz Preferred's insurance. But it's generally considered extremely good. I also cannot vouch for that personally either (haven't used it yet).
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:14 pm

Oh, the bad news is the 4th person is SOL for lounge access itself though. So that would require buying a day pass when offered (usually not a great deal, but may make sense in your case if you think about the cost being for 4 people. That changes the CSR math though), or using the restaurants where available. Google "Priority Pass restaurants" and you'll find a full list somewhere. I've used the restaurant credits at LAX, SFO, and LEX but again, that fits my travel pattern.

Maybe you can just have one kid stay at home and watch the cat. Saves on pet sitters too.
Pittie Pup likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by SightseeMC
Oh, the bad news is the 4th person is SOL for lounge access itself though. So that would require buying a day pass when offered (usually not a great deal, but may make sense in your case if you think about the cost being for 4 people. That changes the CSR math though), or using the restaurants where available. Google "Priority Pass restaurants" and you'll find a full list somewhere. I've used the restaurant credits at LAX, SFO, and LEX but again, that fits my travel pattern.

Maybe you can just have one kid stay at home and watch the cat. Saves on pet sitters too.
Thank you so so much !!!
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:21 pm

Transferring UR pts to airlines or book on UR portal with pts/cash

I’m doing my research on 4 RT flights from DEN to LIH next summer to compare how Chase travel compares to their airline partners. I found some flights on American Airlines worth 198,000 pts and the Chase cost is $3090.40 for the exact flights. The cpp then is 1.5. So if I decided to book these flights, would I transfer approximately 198,000 points from CUR to BritishAirways? And is 198,000 points how many Chase points I would need to buy these AA flights? I’m still new at this. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.