FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   New Chase rule: only one Sapphire card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1863747-new-chase-rule-only-one-sapphire-card.html)

Diplomatico Jan 7, 2018 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by jpcj (Post 29263727)
I realize many have been able to double dip CSR/CSP on the same day and be approved. Have there been DPs on getting both bonuses yet? I've done a bunch of searching and have come up empty.

Several DPs on getting both bonuses, probably 8-10 reported at r/churning.

Diplomatico Jan 7, 2018 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by XCstud (Post 29263783)
I want to switch from the Sapphire Preferred to the Reserve, but have to close my CSP to be eligible for the 50k point sign on bonus. Is it better to downgrade the CSP to a no AF UR card to keep my points active or transfer all my points out and close the CSP before applying for the CSR?

I'm not a churner and I've had the CSP for 5+ years. Does changing the CSP to something else count as a new credit application? I'd close whatever card I switch to as soon as I get the CSR.

Downgrade your CSP to a CF or CFU - the points stay active and when you do get your CSR you can transfer those points to your CSR account, if you so choose. (You retain more flexibility by doing this instead of locking those points into one transfer partner now.)

Downgrading your card does not count as a new credit application; in fact, the account number usually doesn't change. (Also, why close the downgraded card after you obtain your CSR? It's no AF.)

mia Jan 8, 2018 7:19 am

Be aware that you will not be eligible to apply for Sapphire Reserve immediately after converting the Sapphire Preferred card:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...-rejected.html

XCstud Jan 8, 2018 10:52 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29264885)
Be aware that you will not be eligible to apply for Sapphire Reserve immediately after converting the Sapphire Preferred card:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...-rejected.html

The customer service rep told me i needed to wait 30 days to apply. If they don't want my business at that point, i'll go elsewhere.

jpcj Jan 8, 2018 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 29263985)
Several DPs on getting both bonuses, probably 8-10 reported at r/churning.

Thanks. Been searching over there as well, I'll keep trying.

Diplomatico Jan 8, 2018 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by jpcj (Post 29266535)
Thanks. Been searching over there as well, I'll keep trying.

If you are a member there, send a PM to /u/OJtheJEWSMAN who keeps very good track of that particular statistic. This tends to come up in the daily discussion/daily question threads. You may be able to find a reference using the churningsearch tool.

(Edit: Go here - https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co...ve_megathread/

Scroll about half way down the page and /u/OJtheJEWSMAN has a post (11 days ago) with links to seven different DPs.

Here is a separate link to DP #7 of his post: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/7i5pia/data_points_central_thread_week_of_december_07/dqwl6tn/?sh=6baea58f&st=JAWOCW3B)

jpcj Jan 8, 2018 5:38 pm

Perfect, thanks again.

tys90 Jan 10, 2018 7:44 am

Is there a consensus on how long to wait after downgrading from CSP-CF before applying for a CSR? Sounds like 30 days but I'd like to get it earlier if possible.

pallhedge Jan 11, 2018 6:25 am

Originally Posted by tys90 (Post 29274246)
Is there a consensus on how long to wait after downgrading from CSP-CF before applying for a CSR? Sounds like 30 days but I'd like to get it earlier if possible.

I think 30 days is overkill while 1 or 2 days seems not to be enough. A week or 2 at most should be fine.

knokturnl Jan 11, 2018 11:16 am

Originally Posted by tys90 (Post 29274246)

How long ago did you get the bonus on your CSP?

tys90 Jan 11, 2018 11:55 am

Originally Posted by knokturnl (Post 29279902)
How long ago did you get the bonus on your CSP?

About 27 months ago

hightide Jan 11, 2018 11:53 pm

Have only ever had 1 CSP card that was opened and clsoed in 2012.

I currently have 90K+ UR points (from Ink Preferred). Annual fee is coming up this April, so I plan to apply for CSP in Feb 2018 and transfer the UR from Ink Preferred to CSP. Expect to meet min spend in May 2018. I will then hoard the 90K from INK + 60K (from CSP after meeting bonus spend and adding authorized user). In Feb 2019, I plan to PC the CSP to CSR, spending most of the points on Chase Travel portal. In Feb/Mar 2020, I plan to downgrade the CSR to Chase Freedom Limited.

If all the rules stay the same, I plan to apply for another Ink in 2019 followed by CSP in June 2020 PC to CSR to Freedom as above.

Before UA's deval, my strategy was transfer UR to UA and redeem for roundtrip SE Asia - Australia (stopover) - NZ - SE Asia in Y for 35K miles. Now that the redemption level has risen to 50K, buying a cash ticket from SE Asia - NZ using Chase Portal would often be cheaper (plus I would earn miles).

Some questions:

1. Any comments to the above?
2. Once I PC from CSP to CSR, do I immediately qualify for the $300 travel credit?

Diplomatico Jan 12, 2018 3:11 am

Originally Posted by hightide (Post 29282629)
Have only ever had 1 CSP card that was opened and clsoed in 2012.

I currently have 90K+ UR points (from Ink Preferred). Annual fee is coming up this April, so I plan to apply for CSP in Feb 2018 and transfer the UR from Ink Preferred to CSP. Expect to meet min spend in May 2018. I will then hoard the 90K from INK + 60K (from CSP after meeting bonus spend and adding authorized user). In Feb 2019, I plan to PC the CSP to CSR, spending most of the points on Chase Travel portal. In Feb/Mar 2020, I plan to downgrade the CSR to Chase Freedom Limited.

If all the rules stay the same, I plan to apply for another Ink in 2019 followed by CSP in June 2020 PC to CSR to Freedom as above.

Before UA's deval, my strategy was transfer UR to UA and redeem for roundtrip SE Asia - Australia (stopover) - NZ - SE Asia in Y for 35K miles. Now that the redemption level has risen to 50K, buying a cash ticket from SE Asia - NZ using Chase Portal would often be cheaper (plus I would earn miles).

Some questions:

1. Any comments to the above?
2. Once I PC from CSP to CSR, do I immediately qualify for the $300 travel credit?

If you can swing the minimum spend, you might consider going for the same day "double dip" applications of the CSR and CSP combo in February.

budumpst Apr 19, 2018 9:15 pm

Is the sign up bonus for each card related? As in if I got the sign up bonus for CSP in 2016, but not quite 24 months, downgrade it to CF, will I be eligible for CSR sign up bonus after I wait a few weeks post downgrade?

I hope my question is clear enough :'D

Curious to know if there's any similar data point. Thanks!

Diplomatico Apr 19, 2018 9:46 pm

You are not eligible for the CSR (or any other "Sapphire" product) bonus until 24 months after receiving the bonus from another Sapphire product.

In your case, you will be eligible for the CSR bonus 24 months after receiving the CSP bonus. You will need to downgrade the CSP since you will not be approved for the CSR while holding the CSP. Generally speaking, it takes about a week after the downgrade for the Chase system to reflect that you no longer hold the downgraded Sapphire product.

There are many, many other data points on this.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...hire-card.html