FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   New Chase rule: only one Sapphire card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1863747-new-chase-rule-only-one-sapphire-card.html)

Diplomatico Aug 28, 2017 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by lss250 (Post 28748036)
Makes sense, thanks for pointing this out.

Someone on Reddit also pointed out another area of ambiguity in that PC-ing is different than "closing" an account. The memo refers specifically to no eligibility for 24 months after closing an account, so perhaps it would still be possible to downgrade the CSP to a Freedom as soon as the CSP bonus posted and then be approved for a CSR with eligibility for a CSR bonus. You haven't technically closed any accounts in that scenario, nor would you be holding multiple Sapphire products at any time.

I personally doubt it, as the intent seems to be to prevent double dipping bonuses (or at least wait a few years before doing so) and this is a fairly obvious workaround. But will be interesting to see.

Edit: whoops, Diplomatico made the same point upthread! Should have read closer :)

Troopers, in post #5 , quoted the actual language from Chase T&C which means the PC option is dead too. It says:

"The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 24 months."

GiantCow Aug 28, 2017 8:42 pm

Welp there goes my plan to cancel the CSR and sign up for the CSP when the AF hits.

seat38a Aug 28, 2017 8:46 pm

Well with sites like TPG encouraging signing up for the "trifecta," it isn't like Chase was just going to standby and let everyone and their mother screw them out of AF and keep the points forever.

Diplomatico Aug 28, 2017 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by GiantCow (Post 28748253)
Welp there goes my plan to cancel the CSR and sign up for the CSP when the AF hits.

You and 15,000 other people. :(

krazykanuck Aug 28, 2017 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by GiantCow (Post 28748253)

Me thinks that was why Chase instituted this rule, and when they did. They are coming to the realization of CSR-flight.

Gig103 Aug 28, 2017 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by jn in ca (Post 28748002)
+1

I don't think there is any chance that the timing is coincidental. Chase can see that a huge wall of CSR annual fees are about to hit.

And if I understand it, if they don't let you apply for a CSP, bonus or not, then you have to cash out your points or lose them cancelling the CSR.

This affects a colleague who closed his CSP when he got the CSR, but was thinking about downgrading back to a CSP when his AF is up, so he could keep his URs.

RNE Aug 29, 2017 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 28748689)
And if I understand it, if they don't let you apply for a CSP, bonus or not, then you have to cash out your points or lose them cancelling the CSR.

This affects a colleague who closed his CSP when he got the CSR, but was thinking about downgrading back to a CSP when his AF is up, so he could keep his URs.

Wait. Is Chase not allowing downgrading from CSR to CSP? I thought that was still allowed.

On another point, if you have a spouse who has (or could get) a CSR/CSP/INK, you could transfer your URs to him/her. My wife is an AU on my CSR and has her own CF card (two of them, actually). She transfers her URs to my account. Thus, we both generate URs yet between us we pay an annual fee on only one card. (Shhh, don't tell Chase.)

Diplomatico Aug 29, 2017 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 28748689)

Pretty sure that's still allowed.

GiantCow Aug 29, 2017 8:08 am

From the language in the memo downgrading seems to be allowed. Just can't receive any new sign-up bonus.

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 28748284)
You and 15,000 other people. :(

So now that I think about it, and assuming I'm understanding the new rules correctly, it's not all that bad...

My understanding is that the 24 month wait triggers only when you receive a Sapphire bonus. Cancelling a Sapphire card doesn't trigger it so come this time next year we can cancel the CSR / sign up for a CSP.

penner42 Aug 29, 2017 9:13 am

Originally Posted by GiantCow (Post 28750160)
From the language in the memo downgrading seems to be allowed. Just can't receive any new sign-up bonus.

So now that I think about it, and assuming I'm understanding the new rules correctly, it's not all that bad...

My understanding is that the 24 month wait triggers only when you receive a Sapphire bonus. Cancelling a Sapphire card doesn't trigger it so come this time next year we can cancel the CSR / sign up for a CSP.

Yeah, this seems right. I think it's annoyed a lot of people who were planning to apply for the CSP in the very short term.

der_saeufer Aug 29, 2017 10:21 am

What is Chase intending to accomplish by denying people the card itself?

I understand what they're accomplishing by denying the bonus to anyone who has had a Sapphire-series card in the past 24 months, but if I cancel my CSR tomorrow and decide 6 mos from now that I want a CSP (or want my CSR back, for that matter), what is Chase gaining by telling me "no" instead of "sure, but no bonus UR points"?

Diplomatico Aug 29, 2017 10:41 am

Originally Posted by der_saeufer (Post 28750816)
What is Chase intending to accomplish by denying people the card itself?

I understand what they're accomplishing by denying the bonus to anyone who has had a Sapphire-series card in the past 24 months, but if I cancel my CSR tomorrow and decide 6 mos from now that I want a CSP (or want my CSR back, for that matter), what is Chase gaining by telling me "no" instead of "sure, but no bonus UR points"?

They're trying to incentivize people to pay the annual fee to keep the CSR for the second year. If you cancel, you can't get another Sapphire product for 12-14 months, depending upon when the bonus posted.

khlay Aug 29, 2017 11:05 am

Just wondering how PC csp->csr works? When PC it, how much AF will they charge? Keeping same anniversary and prorated 450-95 or whole 450 and new anniversary?

Need Aug 29, 2017 11:33 am

This would really hurt if people decided to transfer all UR points to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited and cancelled the CSR thinking they could just wait to apply for CSP..... and then Chase rolled out their rumored no UR points transfer from free card to paid card... Now all your points are locked at $0.01/point forever...

Troopers Aug 29, 2017 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Need (Post 28751256)
This would really hurt if people decided to transfer all UR points to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited and cancelled the CSR thinking they could just wait to apply for CSP..... and then Chase rolled out their rumored no UR points transfer from free card to paid card... Now all your points are locked at $0.01/point forever...

Yep. To avoid this, transfer/get the Ink Business Preferred if one doesn't already have it or the Ink +. Or transfer out.