Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

​​​​​​​Downgraded Sapphire Preferred to Freedom Unlimited, but Reserve app rejected.

​​​​​​​Downgraded Sapphire Preferred to Freedom Unlimited, but Reserve app rejected.

Reply

Old Sep 26, 17, 5:19 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 56
​​​​​​​Downgraded Sapphire Preferred to Freedom Unlimited, but Reserve app rejected.

Hi all
I'm in a frustrating situation.

I first opened preferred and received bonus back in May 2014. I downgraded to Freedom unlimited on 9/22/2017 and applied for Reserve on 9/25/2017. App was under review and I called the landing line and rep said it was declined because i still have preferred. I told him I downgraded to unlimited couple days ago but he said their system is still showing as preferred. when I log into chase.com it shows as unlimited. can anybody advise on this? perhaps I applied for Reserve too soon? I though only newly added restriction was if I received a bonus from any sapphire less than 24 month ago, then i cannot apply for any sapphire product. thank you.
parkkibum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 17, 9:14 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 379
Originally Posted by parkkibum View Post
Hi all
I'm in a frustrating situation.

I first opened preferred and received bonus back in May 2014. I downgraded to Freedom unlimited on 9/22/2017 and applied for Reserve on 9/25/2017. App was under review and I called the landing line and rep said it was declined because i still have preferred. I told him I downgraded to unlimited couple days ago but he said their system is still showing as preferred. when I log into chase.com it shows as unlimited. can anybody advise on this? perhaps I applied for Reserve too soon? I though only newly added restriction was if I received a bonus from any sapphire less than 24 month ago, then i cannot apply for any sapphire product. thank you.
I think you need to wait 24 months from the time you CANCEL a Sapphire card (not when you receive a bonus) to be eligible to be approved for another Sapphire card (irrespective of whether you are also eligible for a bonus or not). If this is true, then it means you can next apply for a Sapphire card in 9/23/2019 (as you canceled your Sapphire card on 9/22/17). For your sake, I hope I am wrong!

Let others chime in!
edealinfo12345 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 2:22 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 608
Originally Posted by parkkibum View Post
perhaps I applied for Reserve too soon? I though only newly added restriction was if I received a bonus from any sapphire less than 24 month ago, then i cannot apply for any sapphire product. thank you.
You're correct on the new rules:

Originally Posted by Chase
This product is available to you if you do not have any Sapphire card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 24 months.
If your bonus was >24 months ago and the now-downgraded CSP was the only Sapphire you had, you're good. I think your guess is correct that you didn't wait long enough--it wouldn't surprise me if the product change takes a few days to propagate across all of Chase's internal systems even though it shows in your account immediately.

Call back in a few days?

(As an aside, Chase can't be the worst at this--some of B of A's online systems show one of my cards as an Alaska Mileage Plan card even though I downgraded it 2 years ago and the number changed at the time.)
der_saeufer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 5:43 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,109
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345 View Post
...For your sake, I hope I am wrong!
I have good news for you!
Diplomatico likes this.
pallhedge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 6:41 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Truth or Consequences, NM
Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Posts: 4,765
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345 View Post
I think you need to wait 24 months from the time you CANCEL a Sapphire card (not when you receive a bonus) to be eligible to be approved for another Sapphire card (irrespective of whether you are also eligible for a bonus or not). If this is true, then it means you can next apply for a Sapphire card in 9/23/2019 (as you canceled your Sapphire card on 9/22/17). For your sake, I hope I am wrong!

Let others chime in!
False.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Diplomatico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 8:45 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,863
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345 View Post
I think you need to wait 24 months from the time you CANCEL a Sapphire card (not when you receive a bonus) to be eligible to be approved for another Sapphire card (irrespective of whether you are also eligible for a bonus or not). If this is true, then it means you can next apply for a Sapphire card in 9/23/2019 (as you canceled your Sapphire card on 9/22/17). For your sake, I hope I am wrong!

Let others chime in!
Depends on who read Chase's memo!

Most people will read it as
This product is available to you if you
do not have any Sapphire card
and
have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 24 months.

Some could read it as
This product is available to you if you
do not have any Sapphire card
and
have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card
in the past 24 months.
Diplomatico likes this.
Need is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 11:01 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 56
Thank you i guess i will have to try later

Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
You're correct on the new rules:



If your bonus was >24 months ago and the now-downgraded CSP was the only Sapphire you had, you're good. I think your guess is correct that you didn't wait long enough--it wouldn't surprise me if the product change takes a few days to propagate across all of Chase's internal systems even though it shows in your account immediately.

Call back in a few days?

(As an aside, Chase can't be the worst at this--some of B of A's online systems show one of my cards as an Alaska Mileage Plan card even though I downgraded it 2 years ago and the number changed at the time.)
parkkibum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 11:02 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 56
Yea these rules are so confusing sometimes

Originally Posted by Need View Post
Depends on who read Chase's memo!

Most people will read it as
This product is available to you if you
do not have any Sapphire card
and
have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 24 months.

Some could read it as
This product is available to you if you
do not have any Sapphire card
and
have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card
in the past 24 months.
parkkibum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 11:03 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 56
Thanks for the reply i guess i will just try later

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345 View Post
I think you need to wait 24 months from the time you CANCEL a Sapphire card (not when you receive a bonus) to be eligible to be approved for another Sapphire card (irrespective of whether you are also eligible for a bonus or not). If this is true, then it means you can next apply for a Sapphire card in 9/23/2019 (as you canceled your Sapphire card on 9/22/17). For your sake, I hope I am wrong!

Let others chime in!
parkkibum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 11:44 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: LAX, BUR
Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Posts: 1,610
Probably need to wait at least 30 days as it still shows in the system. you even have 30 days to reverse the PC.

2-3 months would be better than 2-3 days.
mhdena is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 12:45 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 56
Guess i was too in a rush but it is unfortunate i already applied for reserve so now i am at 5/24 becuase i was at 4/24 before applying for reserve so i guess vest thing for me to do right now is just to wait for system to refresh and call recon line.

Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
Probably need to wait at least 30 days as it still shows in the system. you even have 30 days to reverse the PC.

2-3 months would be better than 2-3 days.
parkkibum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 5:13 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 379
Originally Posted by pallhedge View Post
I have good news for you!
Glad I was wrong. Guess the correct rule would be to wait for 25 months (24 months + 1 month safety margin) after receiving a Sapphire bonus, to once again apply for a Sapphire card, provided you do not already have any Sapphire-flavor card when you are again applying for it.
edealinfo12345 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 8:08 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Traveling some where hopefully
Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Posts: 1,951
Originally Posted by parkkibum View Post
Guess i was too in a rush but it is unfortunate i already applied for reserve so now i am at 5/24 becuase i was at 4/24 before applying for reserve so i guess vest thing for me to do right now is just to wait for system to refresh and call recon line.
No you are still at 4/24 for new cards opened. It's not apps it's new cards opened.
Diplomatico likes this.
jjmiller69 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 8:16 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 56
you are correct, so that relieves me bit now phew thanks!

Originally Posted by jjmiller69 View Post
No you are still at 4/24 for new cards opened. It's not apps it's new cards opened.
jjmiller69 likes this.
parkkibum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 17, 6:48 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,109
Originally Posted by Need View Post
Some could read it as
This product is available to you if you
do not have any Sapphire card
and
have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card
in the past 24 months.
If this were the intended phrasing then the grammar would be incorrect. It would need to be:

This product is available to you if you
do not have have not had any Sapphire card
and
have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card
in the past 24 months.
pallhedge is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread