FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase survey regarding possible changes when combining points. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1854146-chase-survey-regarding-possible-changes-when-combining-points.html)

rasheed Aug 1, 2017 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345 (Post 28591842)
wow, didn't know that the 1.5% CapOne QuickSilver did not have a 1% Visa network fee that is built into the exchange rates of other credit card issuers like Chase, Citibank, etc.

CaapOne has done a bad job of not publicizing their differentiator enough!

No, CapOne is not interested in getting customers who only want the card because of the FTF. I think CapOne is still a word of mouth situation. They have added tap (finally!) to QS and started a 3% dining card (2% on groceries) that I think it useful for those who dine or do groceries overseas.

It is true that if you factor the really no FTF, CapOne pretty much gives an extra 1% rebate on every overseas purchase compared to other non-FTF cards.

They had a lucrative QS Uber promotion at one point, and now they have started one with Spotify for QS.

My issue remains the same, I don't have enough spending to spread around to all these premium cards.

Rasheed

Happy Aug 1, 2017 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed (Post 28636125)
No, CapOne is not interested in getting customers who only want the card because of the FTF. I think CapOne is still a word of mouth situation. They have added tap (finally!) to QS and started a 3% dining card (2% on groceries) that I think it useful for those who dine or do groceries overseas.

This prompted me to check it out - it is a World Elite Mastercard too. I like this card. Would get it next year after all the Chase 5/24 co-brand cards.

DiMAn0684 Aug 6, 2017 7:53 am

After seeing this thread I have promptly shifted points from Freedom cards to my Ink Preferred. The initial plan was to hold off until I am eligible for CSR and shift points there, but with potential changes I figured I'd rather have these points on a card that allows partner transfers. I've been consistently getting over 1.5c value from Southwest points, and intend to transfer pts to that program if Chase starts implementing changes proposed in the survey.

DeltaFlyer IntrepidClass Aug 6, 2017 4:15 pm

If these changes come to pass, my Freedom and Ink Cash cards will get used a lot less, and my FU will get the FU. Lol.

gfunkdave Jul 30, 2018 11:31 am

Rumors about restrictions on combining UR from CFU with CSR?

I seem to recall hearing that Chase may soon stop allowing UR points transfers from the Freedom cards to premium Sapphire cards. Is there anything to these, or am I making something up again?

mia Jul 30, 2018 12:02 pm

Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, INK Cash and INK Unlimited are marketed as cashback cards, but they actually earn Ultimate Rewards points (which can, of course, be redeemed for cash.) It would seem straightforward for Chase to convert these to true cashback cards, and eliminate the ability to combine with Ultimate Rewards.

There has been speculation that Chase was considering this. I seem to recall it was originally based on questions from a Chase marketing survey. I expect there would surely be some advance notice.

Here is the previous thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ng-points.html

Note that Chase calls this process "combining", rather than "transferring", and I have edited the thread title to conform to their usage.

tmiw Jul 30, 2018 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 30028444)
Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, INK Cash and INK Unlimited are marketed as cashback cards, but they actually earn Ultimate Rewards points (which can, of course, be redeemed for cash.) It would seem straightforward for Chase to convert these to true cashback cards, and eliminate the ability to combine with Ultimate Rewards.

There has been speculation that Chase was considering this. I seem to recall it was originally based on questions from a Chase marketing survey. I expect there would surely be some advance notice.

Here is the previous thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ng-points.html

Note that Chase calls this process "combining", rather than "transferring", and I have edited the thread title to conform to their usage.

Even with advance notice, it's probably still a good idea to combine all of your points at least once a month. At least that's what I'm doing, anyway.

strickerj Jul 31, 2018 9:10 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 30028316)
I seem to recall hearing that Chase may soon stop allowing UR points transfers from the Freedom cards to premium Sapphire cards. Is there anything to these, or am I making something up again?

I hear this pop up every few months and then fall back by the wayside. Hopefully Chase realizes a lot more people would cancel their CSR cards if they do this. I know I would.

Brian Chen Jul 31, 2018 9:34 am

Wow, that's the main reason why I don't use my AMEX Plat since I have my reserve too. I transfer it every month now just in case they change it

robchow Jul 31, 2018 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj (Post 30031650)
I hear this pop up every few months and then fall back by the wayside. Hopefully Chase realizes a lot more people would cancel their CSR cards if they do this. I know I would.

If Chase does this, I would keep CSR can get rid of the CB cards.

tmiw Jul 31, 2018 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by robchow (Post 30032990)
If Chase does this, I would keep CSR can get rid of the CB cards.

You'd still effectively have a lower earn rate compared to now. To me, it seems like one would be better off getting a few MR-earning cards (for example) and earning points there instead. Of course, CSR would still cost less annually than, say, the AmEx Platinum.

robchow Aug 1, 2018 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 30033106)
You'd still effectively have a lower earn rate compared to now. To me, it seems like one would be better off getting a few MR-earning cards (for example) and earning points there instead. Of course, CSR would still cost less annually than, say, the AmEx Platinum.

Yes, I meant that I would keep CSR for its benefits and dining/travel earning structure but would be offloading non CSR bonus categories to other bank cards such as AMEX.

strickerj Aug 1, 2018 8:30 pm

I’d probably cancel my CSR, get an AmEx Plat, and move all my spending back to American Express (keeping my CFU as a backup for when I need a Visa). I can justify the increased annual fee since you get Delta Skyclub access (we fly out of DTW where there’s no PP options) and Hilton Gold status. I’m sure I’m not the only one - Chase doing this just might be the best thing that could happen to AmEx, which is why I’m kind of thinking they won’t.

Brian Chen Aug 6, 2018 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj (Post 30037669)
I’d probably cancel my CSR, get an AmEx Plat, and move all my spending back to American Express (keeping my CFU as a backup for when I need a Visa). I can justify the increased annual fee since you get Delta Skyclub access (we fly out of DTW where there’s no PP options) and Hilton Gold status. I’m sure I’m not the only one - Chase doing this just might be the best thing that could happen to AmEx, which is why I’m kind of thinking they won’t.

Still, 3 points for dining is better than 1 point in Amex Plat -- and I own both

strickerj Aug 7, 2018 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Brian Chen (Post 30054680)
Still, 3 points for dining is better than 1 point in Amex Plat -- and I own both

True, though AmEx does have 2x on groceries with their Everyday card. If you’re in the AmEx ecosystem, you might as well have that card since it’s a free way to keep your MR account open.