Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Dispute Resolution - Tips and Tales [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Dispute Resolution - Tips and Tales [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2020, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by PurpleFlyer27
This goes to some previous discussion on this thread about whether you should still file a dispute if the merchant agrees to process a refund. It seems the answer is yes, and don't wait too long.
Yes, though (as I revealed in the earlier discussion) this can lead to the chargeback being resolved in your favor AND the merchant randomly refunding you weeks later, and then a call from a collections agency a year later.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 10:56 am

Chase had originally ruled in favor of the merchant for a disputed charge over a cancelled flight. They said since the airline offered a travel credit for future travel and since it was a non-refundable ticket that I wasn't owed a refund.

I sent a follow up letter asking for them to review their decision and attached the airline's COC with a snippet of the relevant section regarding the customer being entitled to a refund for any involuntary cancellations.

Today Chase sent another letter saying they've reviewed it and they stand by their decision. What do I do now? The airline says they'll potentially send a refund when they start flying a normal amount again.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 11:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
.... the airline....
1. Please mention the name of the airline.

2. Does the Travel Credit expire?
Old Aug 4, 2020, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Chase had originally ruled in favor of the merchant for a disputed charge over a cancelled flight. They said since the airline offered a travel credit for future travel and since it was a non-refundable ticket that I wasn't owed a refund.

I sent a follow up letter asking for them to review their decision and attached the airline's COC with a snippet of the relevant section regarding the customer being entitled to a refund for any involuntary cancellations.

Today Chase sent another letter saying they've reviewed it and they stand by their decision. What do I do now? The airline says they'll potentially send a refund when they start flying a normal amount again.

1- are you sure the Airline issued the travel credit? I say that since thats what Chase told me when in fact both Carriers didnt do so and told me they had no such vouchers. Since that 1 carrier has refunded me while the other (larger amount) has said they hope to shortly once they are flying again and I take it have a rev stream

If either you were starting or ending in the US did you file with DOT? thats what I did with both of mine and each time a person with the Carrier emailed me and that allowed me to by pass Chase and get things taken care of. IMO Chase doesnt want to deal with Refunds probably so as not to lose its commissions they earned. If your flights didnt touch US soil then it will be alot harder, but still contact the carrier and play dumb and ask them a dumb question like is the voucher you issued me only good for the routing I had booked or any routing. They will look up the res and answer you or maybe like with me tell you they never issued any voucher, in which case you will have to get back to Chase
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by craz
1- are you sure the Airline issued the travel credit? I say that since thats what Chase told me when in fact both Carriers didnt do so and told me they had no such vouchers. Since that 1 carrier has refunded me while the other (larger amount) has said they hope to shortly once they are flying again and I take it have a rev stream
It's Georgian Airways so that's problem number one, the only method of contact I have with them is Facebook messenger.

I haven't actually received any sort of travel voucher. There was an original cancellation email that basically just said it was cancelled and then on Facebook I asked when I could expect a refund and they said to check back when they get back to normal.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 1:56 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It's Georgian Airways so that's problem number one, the only method of contact I have with them is Facebook messenger.
I assume you have seen this information but for the benefit of others who may wish to make suggestions, the airline's temporary policy is explained here with several contact options:

https://www.georgian-airways.com/en/...end-of-2020-69
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:11 pm
Suspended

I haven't actually received any sort of travel voucher. There was an original cancellation email that basically just said it was cancelled and then on Facebook I asked when I could expect a refund and they said to check back when they get back to normal.

I think you are unfortunately SOL on this one, since I believe you werent touching US soil.

Review the link 'mia' posted above and decide which offer works best for you, doesnt look like a money refund is a choice

Both my carriers were non_us carriers but both tkts started & ended in The US so DOT got involved and it didnt make a difference what the carriers policy was as DOTs overrules them, except if the carrier wasnt going to be returning ever to US soil.In my case its simply a waiting game, which isnt the same for you. It wasnt till DOT got involved and informed the carriers that DOTs policy overrules theirs that both carriers were willing to issue a refund eventually
Old Aug 5, 2020, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by mia
I assume you have seen this information but for the benefit of others who may wish to make suggestions, the airline's temporary policy is explained here with several contact options:

https://www.georgian-airways.com/en/...end-of-2020-69
I’ve seen the policy, they’ve also told me they’re still willing to do a refund as I’m entitled to one, just at some unknown date in the future.

It’s just a bit disappointing that I purchased a specific service with specific T&Cs, didn’t receive that service, and Chase says It all seems legitimate. I have proof that I didn’t receive the service and that the T&Cs from when I made my purchase said I’d be entitled to a refund in this sort of situation.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 11:48 am
Suspended

I’ve seen the policy, they’ve also told me they’re still willing to do a refund as I’m entitled to one, just at some unknown date in the future.

It’s just a bit disappointing that I purchased a specific service with specific T&Cs, didn’t receive that service, and Chase says It all seems legitimate. I have proof that I didn’t receive the service and that the T&Cs from when I made my purchase said I’d be entitled to a refund in this sort of situation.
Its not only Chase its all TAs. What I now dont get is , if you made a rev booking and paid money why did you do it via a TA? The only time I dont with the Carrier is if say a mistake fare which the carrier doesnt have as an option or Im using some type of pts to offset some or all of the fare. But all too often when Irrops hit Id be SOL if I used a TA, and yes there are a couple of pro reasons for using a TA but I find more negative ones then pro ones

Since you used a TA then the only way to get a refund is via that TA and like me you will need to wait till that Carrier is back in biz and flying and start issuing refunds. If it was me Id email theh person who emailed you and ask nicely if there is an update apx every 4-6 weeks and Thank them.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by 747FC
Post-pandemic, I've filled disputes with Chase for cruise fares and a Ticketmaster charge. The Cruise fares were ultimately resolved by the cruise line. Ticketmaster has been a bear to get a refund from. They have only reimbursed half of a charge. After months of trying to get the rest of my refund, my dispute with Chase has gone to a "special team." Silence.

Specifically, anyone have better luck with Ticketmaster reimbursements using a chargeback dispute?
After filing the dispute with Chase on 4/1, just received a letter in the mail today saying that the dispute has been resolved in my favor for the full amount. Looks like the "special team" was effective.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It always pays to keep pushing. Large banks such as Chase have significant market power and the merchant acquirers on the other side may bend (whether the vendor/carrier itself does).
Old Jan 20, 2023, 2:51 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Strange Sapphire Reserve Dispute Outcome

I purchased an annual streaming service subscription & chose to pay in four monthly installments of about $75 each. I paid three on a non-Chase card. When I went to pay the fourth, the website showed me that I owed $75. I entered my Chase card info & clicked on the "pay" button and received a confirmation screen saying "Your payment was successful!" and showing the payment amount of $75. But the merchant charged my Sapphire the total of all four installments, $300. I tried to address this with the merchant customer service phone line, but completely failed to get anyone to even comprehend the issue. I disputed with Chase, providing screenshots of the web pages confirming a payment of $75, explaining that the merchant charged my card $300. I also explained my futile attempts to address this with the merchant. I just received Chase's response to the dispute, which is that this issue is between me and the merchant, and they are not reversing the incorrect amount of $225. Does this make sense? Is there anything further I can do to address this with Chase?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by physioprof
I just received Chase's response to the dispute, which is that this issue is between me and the merchant, and they are not reversing the incorrect amount of $225. Does this make sense? Is there anything further I can do to address this with Chase?
I suspect they didn’t understand the issue. Not sure if it is possible to dispute a transaction a second time (perhaps in a letter, if online doesn’t work). I would keep it really simple:

”on XYZ date I authorized merchant ABC to charge $75 to my Chase Visa. Attached is the screenshot of the payment authorization. The merchant incorrectly charged $300 instead and my attempts to resolve the mistake with the merchant have been unsuccessful. Since I did not authorize a charge of $300, please reverse it.”

If that doesn’t work, file a CFPB complaint against Chase. That will likely result in the issue getting reviewed by someone who has better reading comprehension skills than some of the front line workers.
SPN Lifer, mia, 747FC and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 1:28 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Thank you! Maybe I did try to explain too much. I like your streamlined explanation a lot better!
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 8:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Wondering if I have a chance with Chase: I had a wellness membership at a locally owned/operated franchise of a national chain. I accumulated credits by paying every month; I didn't use a large cumber of credits during the pandemic, and they accumulated because credits never expire. The locally owned/operated franchise shut down with no notice, and other local franchisees claim they cannot take on new clients because they're 'full.' National reps are unhelpful: they will neither refund me nor compel any franchisee to take me on. To me, the situation violates the T&C of membership transferability across franchises.

How should I tee this up for Chase?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.