FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017-2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1809882-applying-chase-credit-cards-2017-2019-a.html)

bbriscoe34 Feb 7, 2017 11:55 am

Originally Posted by camsam (Post 27876951)
Any suggestions which credit card to apply for?
I am well over 5/24 and recently closed my SW cards and downgraded CSP to Freedom.
I have a major purchase coming up in next 2 weeks for about $1500 and was thinking to apply for CC to use this purchase towards spending requirements.
Appreciate your suggestions

Well over 5/24?

Then probably something like Cap One Spark Cash Business: $500 back on $4,500 spend, plus 2%, AF waived.

miles2learn Feb 7, 2017 3:11 pm

Just went into a branch and found out I was pre-approved for the CSP. Applied and approved instantly. I'm about 15/24. Nothing ever showed up on the online check pre-qual thingy.

There were several others I could've applied for (FU, United Club and something else) but the CSP was obviously the best. Makes me regret that I didn't check before they removed the CSR from in-branch pre-approvals but oh well. Happy to have the CSP now.

Don't give up hope even if you're over 5/24. I highly recommend checking in branch for pre-approvals.

Robl Feb 7, 2017 4:56 pm

I probably missed this somewhere in the wiki. I only have 2/24 but a lot of closed cards over that time. I was rejected for CSP for too many cards in last 2 years. Anyone else have a problem with too many cards closed?

miles2learn Feb 7, 2017 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Robl (Post 27879100)
I probably missed this somewhere in the wiki. I only have 2/24 but a lot of closed cards over that time. I was rejected for CSP for too many cards in last 2 years. Anyone else have a problem with too many cards closed?

They count closed cards as well. If you've opened more than 5 cards in 24 months you will be denied. Regardless of if you closed the cards or not.

Very clear in the wiki, point #5.

Robl Feb 7, 2017 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by miles2learn (Post 27879296)
They count closed cards as well. If you've opened more than 5 cards in 24 months you will be denied. Regardless of if you closed the cards or not.

Very clear in the wiki, point #5.

No you misunderstand. I only opened 2 cards. The closed cards were opened more than 3 years ago.

miles2learn Feb 7, 2017 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Robl (Post 27879411)
No you misunderstand. I only opened 2 cards. The closed cards were opened more than 3 years ago.

If you only opened 2 cards in the past 2 years then you weren't denied due to 5/24. Did you receive the letter explaining the rejection yet? Call recon?
​​​

Davyboyo Feb 7, 2017 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Robl (Post 27879100)

Take a look at #5 in the Wiki above

Kamalaasaa Feb 8, 2017 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa (Post 27874939)
Before the holidays I applied for an MPE card, but to be honest I forgot about it until recently. I never received either a card or a denial letter, so I called Chase to ask about it. (There is a hard pull from Chase on my credit report, so I assume that means I was denied.)

The automated status line said there was no record of my application. When I talked to a CSR, she said the same thing – since it has been more than 30 days, there is nothing in their system.

To be honest, I really don't care that much about the MPE card at this point. In several ways I wish I had not applied for it at all, to be honest (I don't fly UA much, but I already have DL and AA cards). HOWEVER - the SW RR+ card has some attractive features to me, so I would like to be able to apply for it. I don't have status on any airline – my travel patterns are such that I flew around 52,000 miles in 2016, but on 13 different airlines (5 US and 8 non-US, and I could get FF miles from only 4 of the non-US carriers, in 2 different programs) - and I'm not likely to, as price overrules loyalty for my work travel (which much of this was).

So here are my questions:

1. Is there a number at Chase I can call to get info on why I was denied? Or is there someone I can write? I'd like to know the reason(s).

My FICO score is 800–810. I have only applied for one card in the last 24 months (from Citi, which I received). But I think my combined credit limit is close to my annual income (which is not that high), which might have done it for them. I pay my bills in full each month, and my credit usage is well below 30% of my combined limit (which they also might not have liked). Is this a case of "You don't need any more credit"?

2. Given that I never received a denial letter, is there a state or federal agency with which I should file a complaint? I thought banks were supposed to issue denial letters.I'm not out to get Chase. I just think they should have sent a letter.

3. Given that I never received a denial letter, should I try to get the hard pull removed from my credit report? I don't have any documentation of denial, so I don't know if that renders it a no-go. But that would be part of my appeal.

4. Could anyone at a Chase branch tell me anything? Could they take an application for the SW card?

Given the unknowns here, and that there is at least one other Chase product that interests me, I would like to get some more information/resolution from them. I'm just not sure how to go about it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Anyone have advice on any of these questions?

84fiero Feb 8, 2017 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa (Post 27874939)
Before the holidays I applied for an MPE card, but to be honest I forgot about it until recently. I never received either a card or a denial letter, so I called Chase to ask about it. (There is a hard pull from Chase on my credit report, so I assume that means I was denied.)

The automated status line said there was no record of my application. When I talked to a CSR, she said the same thing – since it has been more than 30 days, there is nothing in their system.

To be honest, I really don't care that much about the MPE card at this point. In several ways I wish I had not applied for it at all, to be honest (I don't fly UA much, but I already have DL and AA cards). HOWEVER - the SW RR+ card has some attractive features to me, so I would like to be able to apply for it. I don't have status on any airline – my travel patterns are such that I flew around 52,000 miles in 2016, but on 13 different airlines (5 US and 8 non-US, and I could get FF miles from only 4 of the non-US carriers, in 2 different programs) - and I'm not likely to, as price overrules loyalty for my work travel (which much of this was).

So here are my questions:

1. Is there a number at Chase I can call to get info on why I was denied? Or is there someone I can write? I'd like to know the reason(s).

My FICO score is 800–810. I have only applied for one card in the last 24 months (from Citi, which I received). But I think my combined credit limit is close to my annual income (which is not that high), which might have done it for them. I pay my bills in full each month, and my credit usage is well below 30% of my combined limit (which they also might not have liked). Is this a case of "You don't need any more credit"?

2. Given that I never received a denial letter, is there a state or federal agency with which I should file a complaint? I thought banks were supposed to issue denial letters.I'm not out to get Chase. I just think they should have sent a letter.

3. Given that I never received a denial letter, should I try to get the hard pull removed from my credit report? I don't have any documentation of denial, so I don't know if that renders it a no-go. But that would be part of my appeal.

4. Could anyone at a Chase branch tell me anything? Could they take an application for the SW card?

Given the unknowns here, and that there is at least one other Chase product that interests me, I would like to get some more information/resolution from them. I'm just not sure how to go about it.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Well I don't know for certain, but I have seen others occasionally report their application disappearing into the ether, though I don't recall if in those instances their credit report was pulled or not. I'm not sure if what you were told about the info disappearing from their system after 30 days is correct or not...may or may not be - perhaps someone else on here would know from past experience.

It doesn't hurt to call again - I'd recommend at least doing that. Another rep might be more helpful or at least confirm that what you were originally told was correct, FWIW. You could also try to escalate your inquiry to a supervisor if the rep you get seems clueless or unhelpful.

They are required to inform you of their decision and the reasons why if you're denied. The FTC is the relevant regulatory entity. IME there is never an issue with receiving the letter from Chase (I always get denied and have to call to re-allocate credit lines in order to get approval). Of course if the bank's system somehow lost the application then there isn't any decision to convey to you.

If Chase isn't ever able to locate your application info and you can't ever get to the bottom of it I wouldn't necessarily let it stop you from applying for another card with Chase when the time comes. Next time, though, bird dog it from the beginning (assuming no instant approval) by calling the automated status line and following the other tips in this thread.

As for the hard pull dispute - I don't know about disputing an inquiry on the basis that the potential creditor lost your application after you applied. But with your credit score a hard pull doesn't really have a meaningful impact so I wouldn't sweat it, even if it is frustrating.

Flyin2 Feb 8, 2017 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa (Post 27882328)
Anyone have advice on any of these questions?

I have found that each bank seems to have a maximum amount of credit that they will extend to you. If you have a high CL with Chase, you could try to reduce that amount. If you don't have any credit with Chase, look at your other cards and see if there isn't some fat you could trim. Then wait a month or so to make sure it is reported to the credit agencies. In my experience, Chase has a minimum CL of $5,000. If you have too much credit with other credit card companies, Chase won't give you credit.

Kamalaasaa Feb 8, 2017 5:56 pm

Thank you 84fiero and flyin2.

I have no cards or other accounts with Chase.

Probably need to call back and see if I can find out more.

frank_10b Feb 9, 2017 3:41 pm

OK, so I applied for Fairmont card, tried to move CL from Freedom and UA but they were not eligible to move CL even though over 20K plus each.
Should I reduct CL on my own and then apply for more non 5/24 cc
Why are some CC not able to move CL?
thanks!

Originally Posted by Flyin2 (Post 27884024)
I have found that each bank seems to have a maximum amount of credit that they will extend to you. If you have a high CL with Chase, you could try to reduce that amount. If you don't have any credit with Chase, look at your other cards and see if there isn't some fat you could trim. Then wait a month or so to make sure it is reported to the credit agencies. In my experience, Chase has a minimum CL of $5,000. If you have too much credit with other credit card companies, Chase won't give you credit.

MDtR-Chicago Feb 10, 2017 9:05 am

What is the actual experience when doing an in-branch application?

Do you tell the associate the answers to all of the application questions? Or do they hand over the keyboard to you and you fill it out?

Ed Janowsky Feb 10, 2017 9:32 am

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post 27891357)

Do you tell the associate the answers to all of the application questions? Or do they hand over the keyboard to you and you fill it out?

I already had Chase accounts so there weren't a lot of questions because my info was already in their system. But the banker definitely did all the typing and screen viewing.

travelbugging Feb 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago (Post 27891357)

Banker does everything but 100x slower than what you could have done yourself. It once took TWO hours for the banker to open a new business checking account and Ink+ for me.