FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017-2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1809882-applying-chase-credit-cards-2017-2019-a.html)

eeflyer Jan 22, 2017 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by peterrudy (Post 27800890)
I am 20/24 and got instantly approved for Chase Ritz Carlton card (34K CL/730 experian), but Chase Marriott personal card is known to be on/off under the 5/24 rule.
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-...ail-need-know/

My wife applied for the Chase Hyatt and was denied due to too many applications letter and no luck with the recon call.

Most Chase reps have no idea which cards are under the rule etc.,. It feels like talking to the immigration officials.

I recommend anyone waiting to apply for Ritz-Carlton card to do so now before Chase changes the rules!

In general, I am disliking Chase customer service and their unwillingness to keep customers. I cancelled 2 Chase cards last week and no attempts were made by the CSR to keep them.

P

I thought the Ritz card is not subject to 5/24 due to it being issued by JP Morgan instead of Chase? I may be mistaken though

sdsearch Jan 23, 2017 9:04 am

Originally Posted by eeflyer (Post 27801303)
I thought the Ritz card is not subject to 5/24 due to it being issued by JP Morgan instead of Chase? I may be mistaken though

That theory doesn't make sense to me, because the Ritz-Carlton is one a big handful of cards which are not subject to 5/24 (per the DOC link in the post you quoted):
  • Chase IHG
  • Chase Hyatt
  • Chase British Airways
  • Chase Disney
  • Chase Fairmont
  • Chase Marriott Premier business card
  • Chase Ritz-Carlton
  • Chase Amazon
  • Chase AARP
Those are certainly not all issued by JP Morgan. And is JP Morgan even really separate anyway? Or is it just a high-end branding thrown onto a card for high-end hotels?

It much more likely is a decision at the Marriott end. Chase can make a decision on 5/24 unilaterally on its own (UR, etc) cards, but it presumably needs a partner's permission to apply 5/24 to applications for partner cards. In most of the above cases, the partners either said "no", or didn't answer, or their contract is not yet up for renegotiation. Marriott is the interesting case, because it said "no" only on 2 of its 3 cards, allowing Chase to apply 5/24 on its most popular card (or was it that Marriott's contract was up at a different time on 1 of its 3 cards?).

pecck Jan 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by pecck (Post 27797288)
6 1/2 months ago I decided to begin taking advantage of the points and applied and receive both the Sapphire Preferred and United Explorer card. I believe I earned both bonuses the next month. As of an hour ago I cancelled the Explorer card and was going to apply for the Sapphire Reserve card at my local branch to get the 100k but in doing my research I read this -

"Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program. Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing."

If I'm reading this correctly I'm not able to receive the Sapphire Reserve Reward if I still have my Preferred card open. Does this sound correct? If I did cancel the wrong card what would be your expert suggestion on which card to apply for next?

I travel weekly on United if that makes any difference.

Thank you

Originally Posted by kip1124 (Post 27797665)
No, you're fine to apply for the Reserve card. CSP and CSR are considered different products, so you're good to go. There's someone who currently has Freedom, Freedom UL, CSP, and CSR, and received bonus for all of them.

***Update 01/23/17

I visited my local branch today and applied in person, and I'm happy to report back I received an instant approval for the CSR with the 100k bonus. This puts me at 3/24. Thank you kip1124 for the explanation.

***Update 01/25/17

Cards came in the mail, expiration date is 5 years out ... 01/22. BTW I learned that you have to visit card benefits to activate the free lounge access.

kramer327 Jan 23, 2017 8:47 pm

Got approved on Marriott Biz card. Was at 23/24 and a couple inquiries in early Dec as well as in Jan. Also, this was my 8th Chase credit card. 4th Biz card. Glad to not burn up my whole Marriott/ SPG balance I had to get the Marriott air+ hotel package booked for SW CP! Happy to be approved!

philemer Jan 23, 2017 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by kramer327 (Post 27808358)
Got approved on Marriott Biz card. Was at 23/24 and a couple inquiries in early Dec as well as in Jan. Also, this was my 8th Chase credit card. 4th Biz card. Glad to not burn up my whole Marriott/ SPG balance I had to get the Marriott air+ hotel package booked for SW CP! Happy to be approved!

No surprise as the wiki indicates the Marriott Biz is not affected by the 5/24 rule. Enjoy your travels. :)

shipitkthx Jan 23, 2017 10:11 pm

Just wanted to provide another data point regarding store cards and 5/24 as I had searched everywhere for this and got conflicting answers.

I'm currently at 3/24 on normal cards and 6/24 including store cards:
AMEX BCE (Authorized User) - 11/10/16
CSR - 10/29/16
CFU - 11/30/16
Express (Comenity Bank) - 5/21/16
Care Credit (Synchrony) - 8/5/15
Lumber Liquidators (Synchrony) - 8/7/16

Just applied for the Chase Freedom and was instantly approved.

OliverB Jan 24, 2017 1:17 am

I noticed that I was pre-qualified for the CSP so I just applied via my personal account link, despite having been approved for the CSR earlier this month.

I had completely forgotten about Chase's 30-day policy.

Nonetheless, I received a 30-day notice, which seems to be a good sign.

Immediately after applying, I attempted to call the application line to check on my status. I was automatically transferred to an individual with every attempt; I hung up each time.

I was wondering whether the tel. transfers were simply the result of calling Chase's confirmation line after hours, whether this is standard practice now, or whether it's because my application was flagged for further verification?

What are the chances I can still get approved for this card, despite the fact that I just received the CSR weeks ago? I'm still working my way to meeting the min. spend on CSR. If my application were to linger for another couple of weeks and surpass the 30-day interval since my CSR approval, would it stand a chance of getting pushed through or would I need to re-apply?

Lastly, if I need to contact the reconsideration line, can anyone offer some suggestions for possible incentives (beyond the obvious signup bonus!) in owning both a CSP and CSR? What could I possibly offer as an explanation for being motivated to apply for a CSP only several weeks after being approved for CSR?

I'll try the number again tomorrow, to check my application status, during regular business hours. I'm gonna let the application ride out, so long as the 30-day status sticks. If I get transferred again tomorrow though, I wonder if I should just let the call go through and speak with whoever is on the other end?

StartinSanDiego Jan 24, 2017 7:39 am

Originally Posted by OliverB (Post 27809044)
Immediately after applying, I attempted to call the application line to check on my status. I was automatically transferred to an individual with every attempt; I hung up each time.

Lastly, if I need to contact the reconsideration line, can anyone offer some suggestions for possible incentives (beyond the obvious signup bonus!) in owning both a CSP and CSR? What could I possibly offer as an explanation for being motivated to apply for a CSP only several weeks after being approved for CSR?

I'll try the number again tomorrow, to check my application status, during regular business hours. I'm gonna let the application ride out, so long as the 30-day status sticks. If I get transferred again tomorrow though, I wonder if I should just let the call go through and speak with whoever is on the other end?

They are unlikely to ask you why you need both the CSP or CSR. If they did, you would say for the unique and special benefits only offered by the (xxx) card. In this case, the CSR has the travel reimbursement, the global entry credit and the Priority Pass membership, as well as 3x on dining and travel.

You can check online for your application status. It's in the lower right hand corner menu.

OliverB Jan 24, 2017 9:09 am

I just logged into my account to check the app status as suggested above, but it indicates "no application activity".

StartinSanDiego Jan 24, 2017 9:19 am

Originally Posted by OliverB (Post 27810351)
I just logged into my account to check the app status as suggested above, but it indicates "no application activity".

When that has happened to me it has meant a mailed denial shows up shortly. I don't know if that holds true for others.

OliverB Jan 24, 2017 9:23 am

I wonder if I should just speak with someone over the tel? I called the confirmation line again, entered my ssn, and was transferred yet again this morning. Should I just follow through on the phone call and speak with someone? I wouldn't have applied had I not been "pre-qualified".

OliverB Jan 24, 2017 9:30 am

Well I called and spoke with someone and they basically told me to wait it out. Unfortunately they have 3 or 4 applications from me this month, which I didn't realize, and won't reflect well at the decision stage when reviewed by a credit analyst. I think I applied for the Marriott card as well and was rejected.

cyntax Jan 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Question about biz cards. Got an Ink Biz Preferred 3 months ago under EIN and have an active Ink Biz Plus opened over 2 years ago under SSN for separate biz (both are legit). Want to apply for the Southwest 60k biz offer under my SSN sole proprietorship (same as the Ink Plus). Any data on approval odds while the Ink Plus is still open? I know Chase generally doesn't like multiple biz cards for same biz, but is that true even if the card is several years old? Would approval odds go up if I cancel Ink Plus and then apply?

(also, at 3/24 without counting Ink Preferred, 4/24 with).

Worm4000 Jan 25, 2017 12:01 pm

Hey everyone! I see all these things around about needing a 700+ credit score for the Reserve. Just thought I would post my seemingly outlier experience.

My credit score at the time of application (a few weeks ago) - 648
credit utilization - 87%
other than that pretty much perfect credit history, no late payments ever, no derogatory marks
Average credit age - 7 years

Honestly, totally surprised I was immediately approved for the card, but super excited. So even if your credit isn't excellent, you can definitely still get this card.

omarr Jan 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Worm4000 (Post 27816416)
Hey everyone! I see all these things around about needing a 700+ credit score for the Reserve. Just thought I would post my seemingly outlier experience.

My credit score at the time of application (a few weeks ago) - 648
credit utilization - 87%
other than that pretty much perfect credit history, no late payments ever, no derogatory marks
Average credit age - 7 years

Honestly, totally surprised I was immediately approved for the card, but super excited. So even if your credit isn't excellent, you can definitely still get this card.

Congrats! If you don't mind sharing, what credit line were you approved for?