FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017-2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1809882-applying-chase-credit-cards-2017-2019-a.html)

penner42 Aug 16, 2017 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by LPCJr (Post 28697545)
I am considering applying for the IHG Rewards card from Chase. Currently I am 3/24, with the following background:

Last Chase application was early last month, for Freedom Unlimited. Additional Chase cards are CSP and Marriott. Across the three, credit line totals approx 85K. Also have Amex SPG with $23k and Discover with $12k.

My utilization tends to run 1-2% in an average month. Balances always paid in full, never late, score is about 825.

Based on all of the above, is Chase likely to approve me for another card? Should I proactively reduce credit limits, or apply first and see what happens? Any advice or input would be appreciated!

Originally Posted by duranza (Post 28699582)
That is a lot of credit from one bank even with 3/24.
I would lower them a few weeks before applying otherwise when you call for recon move some credit over to the new card.

Pro-actively lowering them maybe USED to be a good idea, but I would say it no longer is. I did that when I wanted to apply for the CSR... lowered my credit with Chase by $10k. Then when I applied, they declined me, didn't want to offer me more credit (even though just a few weeks ago I had $10k more credit with them!) and couldn't find enough credit to move to get me to $10k! I was willing to close my Amazon card that had a $5k limit, but didn't really want to because it's my oldest card, and didn't want to close any of my other personal cards. Luckily, I was able to convince them to approve me due to assets, not income. While I gave them truthful numbers, they didn't actually ask for any proof of those assets.

My advice is leave your cards open, and then if you are rejected, offer to close them or move credit to the IHG for approval. Don't reduce your limits in advance. It seems to only be a negative at this point. Maybe cancel or reduce limits on your business cards if you have any, since you can't move that to the IHG anyway. But not your personal cards.

sdsearch Aug 16, 2017 9:27 pm

I am considering applying for the IHG Rewards card from Chase. Currently I am 3/24

You could be at 18/24 and it wouldn't change anything. The IHG card is one of the cards that's not subject to 5/24.

LPCJr Aug 17, 2017 5:31 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 28700209)
You could be at 18/24 and it wouldn't change anything. The IHG card is one of the cards that's not subject to 5/24.

True, but I would think that even if there isn't a formal limit as there is with 5/24, that an issuer is going to consider number of applications as a factor in whether to approve an applicant.

williamqian2014 Aug 17, 2017 9:13 pm

just over 24/5 rule on June 24 and apply for new ink business 80k offer. First got "wait for 30 days" on automatic line and one day later it changed to 7-10 days.
Any idea?

NeGourmand Aug 20, 2017 5:47 pm

How quickly can I get up to 5/24 without getting shutdown?

I've had a FU for 10+ yrs, and recently got started chasing bonuses. I got CSR in June, and 2x CIP in July (1 with EIN and 1 with SS only.) I want to get the SW cards in October/November this year for 2 years with the CP. If it won't negatively affect chances for the SW cards or risk shutdown, I'd like to get CSP soon/before SW cards. So even though I'm only 1/24, how fast is too fast for new Chase cards? Total Chase CL is about 15% of HH income btw.

bailey911 Aug 21, 2017 9:30 am

Question:

I'm at 3/24 and looking at the ink 80k. I do have an ink cash and and ink plus with high credit limits. My last 2 personal apps were not auto approved and had to move credit around on the personal side. Is lowering CLs on the existing inks the best way to get auto approved? and how long after lowering should i wait to apply?

gumercindo Aug 22, 2017 8:06 am

Originally Posted by NeGourmand (Post 28714792)
I've had a FU for 10+ yrs, and recently got started chasing bonuses. I got CSR in June, and 2x CIP in July (1 with EIN and 1 with SS only.) I want to get the SW cards in October/November this year for 2 years with the CP. If it won't negatively affect chances for the SW cards or risk shutdown, I'd like to get CSP soon/before SW cards. So even though I'm only 1/24, how fast is too fast for new Chase cards? Total Chase CL is about 15% of HH income btw.

Similar boat. I've had a MPSelect card for 10 years and just recently started chasing bonuses. My path this year has been:

Jan 2017 (CIP)
Mar 2017 (CSR)
Apr 2017 (MPE Biz)
Apr 2017 (MPE Pers)

I plan to get CSP/Marriott next month and then end the year (and cap by x/24 limit) with SW1/SW2.

ChrisFlyer66 Aug 24, 2017 10:50 am

I am considering applying for the IHG Rewards card from Chase. Currently I am 3/24, ...

There are a lot of great cards from Chase that require you to be under 5/24. I'd seriously consider getting those cards first, because you can get IHG later.

rover4618 Aug 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Whenever I go to the Chase.com website to see if I am pre approved for any cards I always get the following message.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are unable to locate any offers for you at this time.

This may be because you have opted out of "pre-screened" offers from Chase and other companies or you have recently responded to another offer from Chase.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has been years now that I've gotten this even though in branch they told me I was pre approved for one of their cards.

Is their anyplace I can check to see if I did ever opted out of "pre-screened" offers from Chase and if so undue it ?

Noctilum Aug 25, 2017 2:03 pm

I would like to app for the Ritz card but have reached my internal credit limit with Chase. As I understand the Ritz is $10k minimum because it is now a Visa Infinite. So should I ask for credit to be removed from cards? I could consider closing my CSR which will be up for renewal in November. It is at $11k, but I really like the trinity for UR rewards.

CSR - $11k
Freedom - $11k
Freedom Unlimited - $6.1k

penner42 Aug 25, 2017 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Noctilum (Post 28735968)
I would like to app for the Ritz card but have reached my internal credit limit with Chase. As I understand the Ritz is $10k minimum because it is now a Visa Infinite. So should I ask for credit to be removed from cards? I could consider closing my CSR which will be up for renewal in November. It is at $11k, but I really like the trinity for UR rewards.

CSR - $11k
Freedom - $11k
Freedom Unlimited - $6.1k

No. It would increase your chances of auto-approval but decrease your overall chance of approval. Apply, call re-consideration, move credit from the Freedom and Freedom unlimited to the Ritz. They both have a very low minimum credit line, and you'll be able to recover $10k from there.

The issue is, even if you lower your available credit with Chase, there's no guarantee they will want to extend you more credit after that. It happened to me where I freed up $10k for the CSR and then they didn't want to give me more credit anyway. Better to keep the cards open, and call after applying.

HGHUA Aug 25, 2017 10:31 pm

Does Chase have separate bonuses for Platinum Visas vs Signature ones? A family member just got the 60k Southwest one but only a 2k limit and a Platinum but when I called in CS said they saw the 60k after 2k spend offer attached.

I know BoA does this. Does chase?

aglasgow Aug 26, 2017 6:44 am

Originally Posted by penner42 (Post 28735985)
The issue is, even if you lower your available credit with Chase, there's no guarantee they will want to extend you more credit after that. It happened to me where I freed up $10k for the CSR and then they didn't want to give me more credit anyway. Better to keep the cards open, and call after applying.

Agree. My experience was the same not once, but twice!

beggsmoore Aug 26, 2017 9:04 am

When I log on to my Chase account and go under My Offers the page that appears shows all of the Chase credit cards. Does this mean that I am pre-approved for the cards? I am right at the 5/24. Last year my wife was approved for the CSR and she was at 6/24.

sdsearch Aug 26, 2017 11:44 am

Originally Posted by HGHUA (Post 28737522)
Does Chase have separate bonuses for Platinum Visas vs Signature ones? A family member just got the 60k Southwest one but only a 2k limit and a Platinum but when I called in CS said they saw the 60k after 2k spend offer attached.

I know BoA does this. Does chase?

Very few banks (that issue airline/hotel cards) do this. BofA definitely does, I can't remember if there's a second bank but it so it would be another one "smaller" than Chase/Citi/Amex (in terms of cards that FTers are interested in).