Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is a continuation of:

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Chase Sapphire Reserve [Initial application frenzy]

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. [Verified in Post #2635] Also verified by Chase

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is three years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2019.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sjackson12
Should I call Chase to confirm once I've reached the 4k spend? I assume they won't just tell me..

From what I understand, it's all spending, minus the $450 fee and any refunds/credits.
It will show in the Ultimate rewards page as pending 100,000+ points. Takes a couple of days.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:06 am

To folks who aren't traveling this year, how are you meeting requirements for travel credit? Is a viable option just reselling an airline electronic gift card on a gift card exchange?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tzoom84
... how are you meeting requirements for travel credit?
Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...el-credit.html
Old Oct 30, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by mia
Can't believe I missed that! Thanks!!
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Should I call Chase to confirm once I've reached the 4k spend? I assume they won't just tell me..

From what I understand, it's all spending, minus the $450 fee and any refunds/credits.
Any charges in the travel catagories do count towards the minimum spend even though they are reimbursed.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
It will show in the Ultimate rewards page as pending 100,000+ points. Takes a couple of days.
I took 7 days after the final purchase posted to my account before the 100,000 points pending showed.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:39 pm

I searched the thread and only saw 2 mentions of using the CSR in Japan. Has anyone else tried and did you have any problems?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deardaria
I searched the thread and only saw 2 mentions of using the CSR in Japan. Has anyone else tried and did you have any problems?
It is a Visa card. Why would it have problem in Japan where Visa is widely accepted in hotels, restaurants and dept stores including the food market in the basement levels where credit cards are accepted ?
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by deardaria
You will find problems using ANY card in Japan. They dont like cards. Carry cash with you all the time
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by tzoom84
To folks who aren't traveling this year, how are you meeting requirements for travel credit? Is a viable option just reselling an airline electronic gift card on a gift card exchange?
I've been using mine on uber, about $100 worth so far. Will probably get an airline gift card for the rest next month.

They will tell you. I called to check how far I was from meeting my spend and they told me.

Last edited by mia; Oct 31, 2016 at 7:17 am
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
I took 7 days after the final purchase posted to my account before the 100,000 points pending showed.
It took exactly 7 days for me too.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
You will find problems using ANY card in Japan. They dont like cards. Carry cash with you all the time
It depends where you go. Yes, Japan is still largely a Cash Society because the Japanese dont like carry debts and much prefer Pay As You Go or only consume when they can afford.

However as long as CCs are accepted, your CSR can be used without any issue. Dont confuse the issue of Not Accept CC versus CSR cannot be used because of what? If CC is not accepted as payment form, then any CC would have issue in such place, Japan or otherwise.

Outside US, CC ownership is not widespread. Probably 1/2 or more the population do not own CC.

Many small businesses do not take CCs in many European countries, including France and Germany such advanced Western European countries. This May we spent 2 weeks in Croatia. All the lodgings we stayed at, only take cash payment in local currency or Euro. Almost all the nice seafood restaurants by the seaside in towns we visited, only take cash or Euro. In fact the friendly waiter would point you to the conveniently located ATMs nearby. Ditto many places in Asia, including Hong Kong, about as metropolitan as you can get. You can use your card in a McD or Starbuck for less than 1 USD worth, but you most likely cannot use your card in a local noodle shop or dessert shop with delicious foods. Cash or Octopus (a value-stored payment card) only.
Same can be said in Australia and New Zealand. Merchants who take cards often pass along the merchant fees to the customers, as permitted by law.

It is only in US that you could use your card for even less than a buck in the supermarkets / drug stores etc. Even in US there are small businesses impose a minimum charge, Visa/MC agreements be damned.

Therefore the issue is not whether CSR can be used in a certain country - if card is accepted, it can be used. If card is not accepted than any CC cannot be used. As simple as that.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
It depends where you go. Yes, Japan is still largely a Cash Society because the Japanese dont like carry debts and much prefer Pay As You Go or only consume when they can afford.

However as long as CCs are accepted, your CSR can be used without any issue. Dont confuse the issue of Not Accept CC versus CSR cannot be used because of what? If CC is not accepted as payment form, then any CC would have issue in such place, Japan or otherwise.

Outside US, CC ownership is not widespread. Probably 1/2 or more the population do not own CC.

Many small businesses do not take CCs in many European countries, including France and Germany such advanced Western European countries. This May we spent 2 weeks in Croatia. All the lodgings we stayed at, only take cash payment in local currency or Euro. Almost all the nice seafood restaurants by the seaside in towns we visited, only take cash or Euro. In fact the friendly waiter would point you to the conveniently located ATMs nearby. Ditto many places in Asia, including Hong Kong, about as metropolitan as you can get. You can use your card in a McD or Starbuck for less than 1 USD worth, but you most likely cannot use your card in a local noodle shop or dessert shop with delicious foods. Cash or Octopus (a value-stored payment card) only.
Same can be said in Australia and New Zealand. Merchants who take cards often pass along the merchant fees to the customers, as permitted by law.

It is only in US that you could use your card for even less than a buck in the supermarkets / drug stores etc. Even in US there are small businesses impose a minimum charge, Visa/MC agreements be damned.

Therefore the issue is not whether CSR can be used in a certain country - if card is accepted, it can be used. If card is not accepted than any CC cannot be used. As simple as that.
My experience in Australia is that acceptance is not an issue almost anywhere--as long as you're using Visa or MasterCard, that is. AmEx is 50/50 and you're more likely to be charged extra if you try to use one, whereas surcharging for V/MC is fairly rare. If anything, the US is actually less card friendly than them due to our relatively poor infrastructure and higher occurrence of cash-only/surcharging businesses (which is allowed now in most states, BTW).

Also, it's important to keep in mind that just because the card has a Visa or MC logo on it doesn't make it a credit card. A lot of countries implement debit over those networks instead of country-specific ones or something like Maestro. (I'd even go as far as to say that the US "national" debit networks are Visa and MasterCard despite there actually being separate debit networks, simply because acceptance of the latter is not common outside of a few merchant categories.) The side effect of that, of course, is that US issued credit cards will work in those countries if a business accepts cards at all.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
My experience in Australia is that acceptance is not an issue almost anywhere--as long as you're using Visa or MasterCard, that is. AmEx is 50/50 and you're more likely to be charged extra if you try to use one, whereas surcharging for V/MC is fairly rare. If anything, the US is actually less card friendly than them due to our relatively poor infrastructure and higher occurrence of cash-only/surcharging businesses (which is allowed now in most states, BTW).

Also, it's important to keep in mind that just because the card has a Visa or MC logo on it doesn't make it a credit card. A lot of countries implement debit over those networks instead of country-specific ones or something like Maestro. (I'd even go as far as to say that the US "national" debit networks are Visa and MasterCard despite there actually being separate debit networks, simply because acceptance of the latter is not common outside of a few merchant categories.) The side effect of that, of course, is that US issued credit cards will work in those countries if a business accepts cards at all.
All correct. Except was unable to load the Opal card at 7-11 which is cash only but can use CC to load at the transportation office at Circular Quay. Also it was cash only at an ethnic restaurant near Darling Harbour nor the stalls in the various food courts at China Town. However some stalls in the food courts at shopping malls as well as under office buildings take CC. So it all depends on whether the merchants would shoulder the transaction fees in order to get more business or they dont have to as their cash business is plenty enough.

Here at home I have seen Sunoco gas stations here have cash price and CC price and the Sunoco GC is charged at CC price because it is processed as a CC - unlike Exxon Mobil IIRC last year, that if you pay inside with the GC, you get cash price.

Had that debit card network experience in London this May - we went to a restaurant at Camden after exploring the locks and canals there, without knowing that restaurant was cash/debit card only. We did not have any GBP on us (were determined to just use CC) so I told the restaurant owner either he would take Euro or I had to go to an ATM nearby to get his GBP. He said debit card would be fine. I said no debit card either, just the CC which was a Visa. He let me swipe the card and it worked as a CC on his POS that supposedly debit only.

UK is one country where we are able to get by without any local currency for extended stay like over a week because Oyster takes CC, grocery stores take CC though you need to use human cashier versus the automatic check out kiosks, and most restaurants take CC.

I was shocked by Amsterdam where no supermarket would take CC and you pay a surcharge with CC when buying train tickets. In Stuttgart Germany I was surprised by the Nordsee chain of the fast food specialized in seafood was cash only. Not surprised by local restaurants but Nordsee, a franchised chain?

It is always a good practice to bring multiple CCs and debit cards with you on trip so you have backup resources.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:44 pm
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Was able to have chase overlook the 5/24 rule today and get my card approved. Only my TU report had fallen below 5/24. So I froze EX and EQ and applied and was able to move some limit from CSP and get approved. Interestingly, I have had more than 5 Chase cards in last 2 years, but Chase does not always report to TU, so I wasn't sure if they would look internally at my card count, and they didn't.

Hope this can help someone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.