Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is a continuation of:

New Chase Sapphire Reserve Card [Pre-release speculation]

Chase Sapphire Reserve [Initial application frenzy]

This card is subject to Chase's 5/24 policy. For information on (and discussion of) the policy, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.

You can override 5/24 by having an in-branch pre-approval (only! online prequalification does NOT override 5/24), or by already being Chase Private Client (as in you see the "Chase Private Client" text on the login screen of the Chase mobile app.)

Landing page with bonus offer (100,000 UR after spending $4,000 in 90 days):

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...04&IS2F=Y71UH0

Application page: https://applynow.chase.com/FlexAppWe...L3P&PROMO=DF01

100,000 UR points is worth $1,000 as statement credit, $1,500 when used for travel through the Chase portal, or potentially more if transferred to a partner.

Card features are here:https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel. The card's Priority Pass includes unlimited guests. [Verified in Post #2635] Also verified by Chase

Chase Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards Program Agreement
https://chaseonline.chase.com/resources/RPA0511_Web.pdf

Chase Sapphire Reserve Guide to Benefits
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

The card is made of the same material as the CSP, and is being shipped UPS Next Day Air.

How to determine your account number, expiration date, and shipping date before receiving the card
1. Send a secure message (SM) from the account. A common SM would be to ask about the sign-up bonus and last day to complete the spend requirement (which appears to be approximately 3.5 months from the date of approval).
2. Check the Sent Messages folder, and the full account number will be listed in the header of the message that you just sent. The number starts with 414720.
3. The expiration date is three years from the month of approval. So, if you were approved on August 31, 2016, your expiration date will be August 2019.
4. CVV2 number is not available, so if a merchant requires it for payment, you must wait for the physical card.
5. According to many reports, the card is not activated until it is shipped, which happens to be via UPS Next Day Air Saver (if shipped on Friday, you will not receive the card until Monday or the next business day). To find out when it is shipped, go to My UPS and sign up for a free account. You'll be notified when a shipment is destined for your address.
6. Contrary to what the customer service rep may tell you about the delivery of the card—such as the card will take 1-2 weeks or that expedited shipping is not available—the card is actually expedited and shipped via express shipping, as mentioned in #5. There is no need to ask for expedited shipping.

Priority Pass Select
Click HERE to read the separate thread discussing this benefit.
As soon as the account shows up online:
1. Click on Go To Ultimate Rewards.
2. Scroll down to the very bottom left and click on "Card Benefits"
3. Activate Membership to request card.
4. Card will take 1-2 weeks and can't be expedited, but members have reported success in charging the lounge access to the card and requesting a refund from Customer Service.
5. PP cards will be issued for the account holder and any AU(s)
6. According to Chase, CSR's PP membership includes guest access.

Duplicate Card
1. If you receive the plastic card, wait for the metal card to arrive automatically.
2. If you receive the metal card, send SM or call to request plastic card (for use with overseas merchants that require a card imprint, because you hate metal cards, whatever).
3. DO NOT request a replacement card (especially under any pretense that the card was lost or misplaced).
4. Both cards will have the same number, expiration and CVV. Both cards will work.
5. It appears that all CSR cards are sent overnight once produced, including the plastic 'replacement' cards. No need to request expedited shipping.

How to get bonus points on the first statement
Act very quickly; you may have less than a week. It depends on the timing of your first statement and when you receive the card. 4K in spending has to clear (not pending) about a week before the statement cuts in order to get the bonus points on that statement. Under "account details" you can see your first payment due date. Your closing date is usually three calendar days after your due date. For instance, if your very first bill is due October 20 that statement would close on September 23, and spending would have to clear by approximately September 16 in order to get the bonus points.
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Reserve (100,000 points, $4,000 spend, 3 months)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by blissing
I'm wondering how to look at spending on this card vs. the cash back Citi Costco card, which is 4% on gas, 3% on travel and dining, 2% on Costco Purchases, and 1% everything else. We have both. Obviously, won't apply until our $4k spend.
Here is how at least some of us look at it:

Want to buy a roundtrip F flight on UA from SFO-LHR? It would cost about $10K per ticket. A round trip would cost 180k UA miles. Would the CSR get you the 180k miles sooner than the Citi Costco card would get you the 10k cash back? Or vice-versa?
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by rbw5t
Any recent experience/data points/hints about potential in branch approval? I'm in DC where we have no Chase locations, but will be in NYC next week. I'm hoping to pop into a branch and try for approval. I'm way over 5/24, so it's likely my only shot. I'm not private client and not interested in messing with that. I have had a Chase mortgage previously, but refinanced a few years ago. Any way to speculate whether I might be pre-approved other than walking in seeing what happens? Thanks for any help!
what are your most recent chase cards, if none then you should be fine

if only 1 card opened 6/16 or earlier, you can be preapproved

if 2 cards and second newest card was opened 3/16 or earlier, you can be preapproved
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by jmfly

if 2 cards and second newest card was opened 3/16 or earlier, you can be preapproved
That includes chase business cards?
Old Oct 16, 2016, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by jmfly

Hmm, I thought preapproval was sort of a mystery, but that it was in some way based on having a strong relationship with them, rather than being a flavor of 5/24 where having fewer cards is a criterion for success. I have bunches of Chase cards, so if preapproval is dependent on having 2 or fewer chase cards, then it will be a no go for me.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:25 pm

Hmm, I thought preapproval was sort of a mystery, but that it was in some way based on having a strong relationship with them, rather than being a flavor of 5/24 where having fewer cards is a criterion for success. I have bunches of Chase cards, so if preapproval is dependent on having 2 or fewer chase cards, then it will be a no go for me.
I was pre approved with 3 open Chase cards. It was 4, but I cancelled my Ink and was pre approved for the CSR late that week.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you keep up with data points on this thread (and other sites on the same subj), you will find quite a few instances a person reduced his ownership of Chase cards down to 3 or below, and a week or 10 days later, all sorts of preapproval showed up in his profile when checking at the branch. If you have 4 or more existing Chase cards, your chance of preaproved is near to nil. At least have not seen any positive data point. In that case you would need the status of being CPC - though you DONT need your banker who may or may not be able to help you - just the CPC status is good enough for you to talk to Lending Dept for a positive outcome in most cases.
Make some sense as if you are credit-worthy Chase wants you to hold its card to a certain extend (up to the level its risk assessment algo deems comfortable - be it number of open cards or total credit line available.)

These days so much decision is made based on computer models which naturally have limits but it is much cheaper than manually reviewing applications for a Mass Market issuer.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
If you keep up with data points on this thread (and other sites on the same subj), you will find quite a few instances a person reduced his ownership of Chase cards down to 3 or below, and a week or 10 days later, all sorts of preapproval showed up in his profile when checking at the branch. If you have 4 or more existing Chase cards, your chance of preaproved is near to nil. At least have not seen any positive data point.....
Oh that's too bad, but good to know why we don't have preapprovals. My husband wants this card, but he's sitting on 5 Chase cards. Just looked at his account, and he could close 2 of them, but wants to keep:
1. Marriott (useful for Marriott stays and the annual free night)
2. Freedom (bonus category spend)
3. Sapphire Preferred (so many reasons...)

I really want him to keep the Hyatt card also, for the annual free night which we've managed to put to good use...but I guess it's worth it to cancel if it frees up a spot for the CSR.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
If you keep up with data points on this thread (and other sites on the same subj), you will find quite a few instances a person reduced his ownership of Chase cards down to 3 or below, and a week or 10 days later, all sorts of preapproval showed up in his profile when checking at the branch. If you have 4 or more existing Chase cards, your chance of preaproved is near to nil. At least have not seen any positive data point. In that case you would need the status of being CPC - though you DONT need your banker who may or may not be able to help you - just the CPC status is good enough for you to talk to Lending Dept for a positive outcome in most cases.
Make some sense as if you are credit-worthy Chase wants you to hold its card to a certain extend (up to the level its risk assessment algo deems comfortable - be it number of open cards or total credit line available.)

These days so much decision is made based on computer models which naturally have limits but it is much cheaper than manually reviewing applications for a Mass Market issuer.
I have 8 personal and 2 biz and was pre-approved. Initially wasn't on my first branch inquiry, did nothing for a month and simply asked again next time at the same branch (Post #4843). My friend also has more than 5 Chase cards and was pre-approved. Neither of us are CPC. Your 3 card ownership speculation is purely ymmv, just like my datapoints. No one knows what brings about the pre-approvals.

Edit: Sorry I realized my datapoint was posted in the general Chase App thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...l#post27221312
Old Oct 17, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by ehallison
Oh that's too bad, but good to know why we don't have preapprovals. My husband wants this card, but he's sitting on 5 Chase cards. Just looked at his account, and he could close 2 of them, but wants to keep:
1. Marriott (useful for Marriott stays and the annual free night)
2. Freedom (bonus category spend)
3. Sapphire Preferred (so many reasons...)

I really want him to keep the Hyatt card also, for the annual free night which we've managed to put to good use...but I guess it's worth it to cancel if it frees up a spot for the CSR.
check every month. i didn't close any and was eventually preapproved (5 personal, 1 biz, mostly new)
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to know that some of the heavy Chase cardholders finally see preapprovals in their accounts. This definitely a good news to many.

We leveraged the CPC status after we were lured into apply at the branch on "you are invited" status only by our banker and were denied immediately on 5/24 (we were never shown the screen of status, only found out later that if the APR disclosure was in a range, then you are NOT preapproved) . The banker felt bad enough to make us CPC because he had seen the proof of our assets at somewhere else. He did not do much more after that. We did the recon call ourselves. Needed to move CL but were approved on same phone call for both of us.

Personally though, we dont keep Chase cards once they pass their usefulness with the exception of long history Freedom and Inks. The rest can all go once they run their courses - this includes CSP. The only hotel card we pay the AFs is the IHG as the benefits outweigh the AF by a large margin. Neither Marriott nor Hyatt is worth the AF despite the free night cert, especially Marriott. Will see how CSR would fit - has many months to evaluate it.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 17, 2016 at 7:19 pm
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:24 pm

Adding my data point. I'm at 13/24 (yes, 13, all in the last year) and was pre-approved for the CSR in branch, so I applied and was auto-approved!

I also have the SW Plus & Premier, CSP, Ink, and IHG cards with Chase (now 6 total), and I got all of them in the past year except for the Ink. This was the first card I've applied for since June though.
--Kyle
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Can anyone tell my how long it took after hitting the minimum spend for the bonus to show up as pending? I hit the minimum spend and the charges posted to my account 6 days ago and it still doesn't show. I can see the points for my regular spend, but that is all.

Last edited by Critterlynn; Oct 19, 2016 at 5:42 pm
Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Can anyone tell my how long it took after hitting the minimum spend for the bonus to show up as pending? I hit the minimum spend 6 days ago and it still doesn't show. I can see the points for my regular spend, but that is all.
I had that issue too. Mine took more than a week, but less than 2 weeks, and it showed up as pending before the statement cut. I wish I could remember exactly how long it took for you, but I can't.

I remember being worried about it too, but I have the printed disclosures I signed at the bank and they specifically mention the credit, so I knew I'd get it either way. Was happy when it showed up without my having to do any extra work, though.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Can anyone tell my how long it took after hitting the minimum spend for the bonus to show up as pending? I hit the minimum spend and the charges posted to my account 6 days ago and it still doesn't show. I can see the points for my regular spend, but that is all.
I'll answer my own question. My points are now pending. It took 7 days after the charge that put me over $4,000 posted.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:20 am

I hit the 4k spend on Friday, 10/14. The big purchase ($3900) cleared on Monday, 10/17 and the points came up as pending 10/19. Idk when my billing cycle ends yet since I just got the card last week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.