Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase card referral questions and issues [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2022, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Warning: Generating a referral to some cards may not give the best bonus to the recipient. Check the current offer and then see what the referral offer is. One example is Marriott.

Earn Up To 75,000 Bonus Points: You can receive 15,000 bonus points for each friend you refer through this Refer-A-Friend offer (up to 5), who is approved for the card. Maximum bonus points accumulation for this offer is 75,000 bonus points. We may provide you with future opportunities to earn bonus points by referring your friends to Chase Sapphire Preferred. You may earn bonus points up to the stated maximum for each offer, however, please note that if you take advantage of multiple opportunities within one calendar year that the maximum number of bonus points that can be awarded from all referral offers is 75,000 per calendar year. In the event the bonus points you earn from all referral offers exceeds the 75,000 per calendar year limit, you may be awarded a partial amount to keep your total bonus at 75,000 bonus points. For example if you have already accumulated 70,000 bonus point from refer-a-friend offers that calendar year and the maximum is 75,000 bonus point per calendar year, then the next award will be 5,000 even if the offer states 15,000. The value of this offer or program may result in miscellaneous income received from Chase and we may be required to send you, and file with the IRS, a Form 1099-MISC (Miscellaneous Income) or Form 1042-S (Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding) for the year in which you participate and are awarded the benefits of the offer/program. You are responsible for any tax liability related to participating in the offer/program. Please consult your personal tax advisor if you have any questions about how this could affect your taxes. This offer is subject to change and may be cancelled at any time without notice. To be eligible for this bonus offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. Please allow up to 8 weeks after each new cardmember’s approval for bonus points to post to your account. Your bonus will appear on your statement as “Refer-A-Friend bonus.” You are not eligible for a referral bonus if you use your own referral URL to apply for a different card.

Due to the confidential nature of the credit approval process, we cannot disclose information on who has applied, nor will you be notified whether we approve or decline any application(s) from the individual(s) you refer.

Chase employees are not eligible to refer friends for this promotional offer.
Print Wikipost

Chase card referral questions and issues [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2023, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by sam007
Btw what is P2
Dont think I saw a response to this for you. Player/Person 2

Usually the person posting is P1 and their spouse is P2 but could be parent, sibling whatever. Typically you see it as P1 referred P2, meaning the person posting referred their spouse, so they get the referral bonus and sign up bonus
Old Mar 15, 2023, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
I read it to mean that the Original bonus, 75,000, will post automatically. The additional 15,000 will post only if you remind them by replying to the SM after making the spend.
That has been how the approved match works. Didn't Chase stop matching for some time in the past during the midst of pandemic, and resume the practice not too long ago?

Originally Posted by NJTeacher
Sorry, I meant how do we go about requesting the larger 90k offer? Should the referer or referee request it, thanks!
The person who applies the card. It is no difference as a person applies the card without referral. Referer has nothing to do with it.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by lowkeyflyer
Title question, been about 2 weeks and I haven't seen anything yet.
I have the same question. Applied using p2 link, activated the card Friday last week. Nothing on the pending points activity page yet. We will keep waiting but I have seen multiple posts saying it is usually show up by Tuesday night, but others said a few weeks should also be expected.

Since many of you have recently signed up for it, please post your timeline here if you can. Thank you!
Old Mar 16, 2023, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Happy
That has been how the approved match works. Didn't Chase stop matching for some time in the past during the midst of pandemic, and resume the practice not too long ago?.......................
Nope.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 9:32 am

Is this poking the bear?

Me and P2 signed up for the biz Ink unlimited $750 SUB and we referred each other using a 40k link. I then sent a SM requesting a match to the current $900 SUB. I got a yes to the match request but they also put some boilerplate stuff in there like

You’ll be eligible as long as:

– You have not received a new cardmember bonus for this
card in the past 24 months.

I am worried that they will check and see that I have the ink preferred and retract the 750 bonus. Or worse yet, see that I have some questionable spending and put the account under review (I have funded bank accounts and opened CD's but there are no 505.95 gift cards) .

Is this too much - am I poking the bear going after the higher SUB?
Words of wisdom (or condemnation) are welcome.

Last edited by flew-d-coop; Mar 17, 2023 at 10:09 am Reason: Edited for clarity: currently hold ink preferred
Old Mar 17, 2023, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by flew-d-coop
Me and P2 signed up for the biz Ink unlimited $750 SUB and we referred each other using a 40k link. I then sent a SM requesting a match to the current $900 SUB. I got a yes to the match request but they also put some boilerplate stuff in there like

You’ll be eligible as long as:

– You have not received a new cardmember bonus for this
card in the past 24 months.

I am worried that they will check and see that I had a different ink family card and retract the 750 bonus. Or worse yet, see that I have some questionable spending and put the account under review (I have funded bank accounts and opened CD's but there are no 505.95 gift cards) .

Is this too much - am I poking the bear going after the higher SUB?
Words of wisdom (or condemnation) are welcome.
From what I know, that language is specific to the exact card you're applying for. I think you'll be fine if the other card you opened is the Ink Cash or the Ink Preferred.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Zolor23
From what I know, that language is specific to the exact card you're applying for. I think you'll be fine if the other card you opened is the Ink Cash or the Ink Preferred.
Other card is the ink preferred

Last edited by flew-d-coop; Mar 17, 2023 at 10:19 am
Old Mar 20, 2023, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
On my Ink referral page, it says: "To see your Refer-A-Business bonus points, please go to your Rewards Tracker."

Is there actually a referral tracker, or are they just saying to check my UR portal for when the pts eventually post?
Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:07 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by italdesign
Is there actually a referral tracker, or are they just saying to check my UR portal for when the pts eventually post?
I think this is answered here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35069602-post257.html The points show Pending before they Post.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:27 pm

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is there any difference between the:
1. referral emails (lowkeyflyer, share Sapphire Preferred and earn up to 75,000 Bonus Points)
2. referyourchasecard.com link
3. "Refer a Friend" on chase.com?

The shareable links they generate are all different but it looks like the bonus is the same.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 9:44 am

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, WoH Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, MB Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Also, when you go to the UR home (https://ultimaterewardspoints.chase.com/) and then go to "Rewards Activity", are the referral bonuses supposed to show up there? They don't for me.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 10:47 am

Also, when you go to the UR home (https://ultimaterewardspoints.chase.com/) and then go to "Rewards Activity", are the referral bonuses supposed to show up there? They don't for me.
Referral bonus takes some time to show up. I would recommend waiting 6-8 weeks. If nothing pending shows up by then, give chase a call. In my past experience, they've been able to validate the referral and manually add the points.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 11:30 am

Can you get around the interest tax on referral bonuses for the inks by referring from different cards? E.g. I have 4 inks and I do 1 ref from each of them as opposed to 4 from one card.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by doctorslothmd
Referral bonus takes some time to show up. I would recommend waiting 6-8 weeks. If nothing pending shows up by then, give chase a call. In my past experience, they've been able to validate the referral and manually add the points.
To clarify, it shows up in "Pending points" on the top left when you go to the UR homepage, but it doesn't actually show up as a transaction (meaning you can never confirm referrals)
Old Apr 14, 2023, 8:57 pm

Can you get around the interest tax on referral bonuses for the inks by referring from different cards? E.g. I have 4 inks and I do 1 ref from each of them as opposed to 4 from one card.
Nope doesn't matter -- combined referral total by SSN

Banks used to do that then the IRS caught on a few years back but just gave them warning to stop and didn't backdate anything -- that's why Chase/Amex referrals used to be max $550 per card to avoid 1099-MISC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.