Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
This thread is now archived.

Continue the discussion here: HERE

Prior thread: Pre-2016 discussions archived HERE.

Similar thread on IHG Forum here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1232030-annual-free-night-cert-ihg-rewards-club-visa-mastercard-23.html Currently, the IHG credit card is NOT subject to Chase's 5/24 restriction.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As of April 2018, a new IHG card is being released. There are changes, including a limit to the value of the annual free night certificate (40,000 point vs. any hotel).
Ongoing discussion can be found here, in the IHG forum.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...valuation.html

Existing card members can use "any hotel" certificates that were issued/will be issued prior to April 30th. Any Anniversary Night issued BEFORE May 1, 2018 is still valid at any IHG hotel worldwide.
Certificates issued AFTER May 1 will be under the new T & C's.

From Chase:

Update: We’re changing the Anniversary Free Night on your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card

On May 1, 2018, we’re changing the Anniversary Free Night benefit associated with your IHG Rewards Club Select Credit Card.

Here’s what’s changing
Currently, we award this Anniversary Free Night each year after your anniversary date, and it is redeemable at any IHG property. Going forward, Anniversary Free Nights issued after May 1, 2018, will be redeemable at eligible IHG hotels with a redemption value up to and including 40,000 points.

Here is the list of IHG hotels that will NO LONGER be available for certificate redemption: https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night?_PMID=99634986&cm_mmc=CJ-_-4453693-_-7718223-_-www.ihg.com%2Fcontent&glat=AFFI&setPMCookies=true& url=https://www.ihg.com/content/us/en/deals/partner-offers/anniversary-free-night

Current public offers, as of 9/1/17
See post 527 regarding an 80,000-point offer: "When I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer."

All offers have the following terms/benefits:
  • Signup bonus earned after $1,000/$2000 spend in first 3 months
  • Starting on the first anniversary of account opening, a free night every year at any [effective with Anniversary Certs issued on 01 May 2018, redeemable only at properties 40,000 points and under] IHG hotel. (Cert may be redeemed online.)
  • 5 points per $ spent at IHG hotels
  • 2 points per $ spent on gas, groceries and dining
  • 1 point per $ on everything else
  • 10% points rebate on any redemptions. ("Please allow 4 to 6 weeks after Reward Night stay for rebated points to be deposited into your account")
  • No fee 1st year, then $49.
  • No foreign transaction fees.
  • IHG Platinum status for as long as you hold the card.
Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the $1000 (or $2000) spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?
Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No
Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards MasterCard [now 60,000 pts]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beltway
There was an answer there pointing readers to the master thread for info on this issue & many others. That's because a) it makes no sense to duplicate the same information in the threads for all the individual Chase cards and b) it's helpful to make people aware of the master thread.
I followed the link and skimmed through the other wiki and searched the page for keywords relating to the topic and came up empty, hence my question here. I also skimmed through multiple other Chase-related threads found via Google to no avail.

Feel free to change the wiki back, but when an experienced FTer like me (who helped design the wiki concept) isn't finding the answer easy and obvious, perhaps there's something that could be done better.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
The links in the Wiki now lead to 60000 point offers. However, I just made a reservation on the IHG website. The banner on top of the IHG page was for 60000, but when I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer.
Tony300S likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:33 am

Not sure where to ask this - so will try this thread.
Has anyone tried to use IHG Mastercard together with United MPX app and IHG "Dine & Earn" program? Specifically - if a charge is made through MPX "gift card" rather than directly at the restaurant, does it still count as a restaurant charge for a dining reward?

(May be this is better asked in MPX thread, but let's see here first )
Old Nov 3, 2017, 1:39 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by br2k
Has anyone tried to use IHG Mastercard together with United MPX app and IHG "Dine & Earn" program? Specifically - if a charge is made through MPX "gift card" rather than directly at the restaurant, does it still count as a restaurant charge for a dining reward?

It will not count toward the MileagePlus or IHG Dining programs. You are buying a Gift Card on MPX but using that as your form of payment, not a registered credit card at the restaurant.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by br2k

May be you need to read the Dine program rules to understand how the program work - that is, in a nut shell, you need to register a CC with the dine program, does not matter which card, and use that card to pay at the participating restaurant when you eat there. Only then, it would trigger the points earn thru the Dine program. The registered CC would earn whatever it would earn for the payment at the restaurant. If it is an IHG card, it earns the IHG pts. If it is a United card, it earns UA miles.

The earning thru the Dine program and the earning thru the card payment are INDEPENDENT. However, the card used must be registered with the program, and must be used at the participating restaurant in order to trigger the Dine program earning.

Your scheme of buying GC thru MPX does not meet any of the requirements listed in the Dine program rules. Hence would earn you nothing.
StartinSanDiego likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Got an email saying I won a "golden ticket" aka 2 complimentary tickets to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (nyc) broadway show! Sweet $49 af for free nt and free stuff!!
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I opened a Chase IHG Rewards card this past week with 80k points after $1k spend, $50 statement credit after first purchase, and 5k points for an AU. The offer appears while booking a hotel reservation. Surprisingly Chase gave me instant approval on this one with an absurdly high credit limit after pending my last app for a week before giving a comparatively tiny CL.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by jn in ca
The links in the Wiki now lead to 60000 point offers. However, I just made a reservation on the IHG website. The banner on top of the IHG page was for 60000, but when I made my reservation, when I got past the point of picking my hotel, and picked my room, there was an active link on the bottom of the page for the 80000+$50 offer.
Same thing for me
Not sure when it showed up, but after I booked my room a separate window was up with the same offer.
Still have to wait a few days to meet the 24 month time limit, but hope it stays there.
However it was very member specific as it already had my name and member number filled in the app.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by mtbmtb01
Still have to wait a few days to meet the 24 month time limit, but hope it stays there.
Don't sweat it. The 80k+$50 offer has been around for at least 3 years. The chance of it disappearing permanently anytime soon is small.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Happy
I assume it would as by the timeline you have met both Chase and IHG requirements on the 24 months lapse condition even it is counted by calendar month (versus by dates), though probably with 1 to 2 business day delay based to recent DPs.

Please post back on your experience as additional DP. Thanks!
Posting as requested.

Previous bonus posted in Sept of 2015.
Closed original card in Sept of 2017.
New card opened in early Oct of 2017 via 100k link in my IHG account.
Statement closed early in Nov of 2017 with full bonus.
~4.5k points from regular spend showed up in the IHG account on Nov 5.
100k bonus showed up in the IHG account on Nov 8.

My experience lines up with the post from Happy.

Question about the 5k pt bonus for AU. I didn't open an AU card when I applied for the account, and didn't see anything about the 5k bonus in the application. It's been less than 40 days since account opening. Can I still get the bonus and do all offers have 5k AU bonus?
italdesign likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Posting as requested.

Previous bonus posted in Sept of 2015.
Closed original card in Sept of 2017.
New card opened in early Oct of 2017 via 100k link in my IHG account.
Statement closed early in Nov of 2017 with full bonus.
~4.5k points from regular spend showed up in the IHG account on Nov 5.
100k bonus showed up in the IHG account on Nov 8.

My experience lines up with the post from Happy.

Question about the 5k pt bonus for AU. I didn't open an AU card when I applied for the account, and didn't see anything about the 5k bonus in the application. It's been less than 40 days since account opening. Can I still get the bonus and do all offers have 5k AU bonus?
Thanks for reporting back. Based on MaxVo's post and the delayed posting DPs, it does seem IHG now is verifying the sign up bonus INDEPENDENTLY from Chase' issuance. So one needs to also look at the date of previous bonus posted on IHG side so not to trip wire.

The AU 5K feature is NOT a standard feature. Some 100K offers have it some dont. I have read about both.
Look at the screen shot you took (hopefully) on the offer details - if there is one, you most likely can still earn it. Just do an SM to confirm you are still able to earn. If there is no such feature on your offer, then you most likely would not get it.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Thanks for reporting back. Based on MaxVo's post and the delayed posting DPs, it does seem IHG now is verifying the sign up bonus INDEPENDENTLY from Chase' issuance. So one needs to also look at the date of previous bonus posted on IHG side so not to trip wire.

The AU 5K feature is NOT a standard feature. Some 100K offers have it some dont. I have read about both.
Look at the screen shot you took (hopefully) on the offer details - if there is one, you most likely can still earn it. Just do an SM to confirm you are still able to earn. If there is no such feature on your offer, then you most likely would not get it.
I can't remember if I took a screenshot of that offer, might have applied from a different PC, but I remember well that I did not request an AU card because there was no mention of any bonus for adding an AU on my offer page. Oh well, 100k pts with minimal effort is still a pretty great deal. Hopefully IHG will offer something good for 5k pts in the spring
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:50 am

I got the 80,000 points in my IHG account 2 days after my statement closed with Chase.

Seems like IHG definitely did an independent verification, but didn't take THAT long.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: AC E35 / Marriott Gold
I can't find the 80K offer anymore and all links seem to point to 60K... anyone still have a way to access it?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by azhang24
I can't find the 80K offer anymore and all links seem to point to 60K... anyone still have a way to access it?
Just look back a few posts before yours, specifically post 527.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.