Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase "may" limit approvals (5/24) on co-branded cards [flame free speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Moderator Note:
5/24 is the new application reality at Chase, so this speculation thread is now closed. As of this writing, there are some exceptions, and in-depth discussion is ongoing. To assist you in finding the most current information, please direct application discussions to the "Applying for Chase Cards" thread:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...5-present.html

Further discussion regarding the nuances, exceptions and possible work-arounds to Chase's imposed 5/24 limitations may also be found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...-strategy.html

==============================================

What is Chase's so-called 5/24 policy?
Does the 5/24 rule apply to applications for all Chase cards?
How does Chase calculate the number of an applicant's new cards for purposes of the 5/24 rule?
Are targeted offers exempt from the 5/24 rule?
Print Wikipost

Chase "may" limit approvals (5/24) on co-branded cards [flame free speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by lyst
I applied and was approved online for a United personal card. So the rule doesn't seem to be in effect yet!
Yea....if ever.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:13 am
Suspended

Yup rule is definitely not in effect yet.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by steve4
I think if Chase wanted to cut down on churning they should have followed AMEX in limiting bonuses (one per lifetime per card product) instead of implementing the 5/24 policy. I don't know about others, but I am not going to keep track of when my accounts fall under 5/24 prior to applying for another Chase product again. As with all businesses, if Chase can provide me the best point value for my categorical spending I'll use their products, otherwise I'll go with the alternative (new cards with bonuses from other banks will always arise). In summary, 5/24 is overkill to limit churning IMHO.
To be honest, you should already be tracking that information for all your cards anyway. Open date, close date, & date you received the bonus, at a bare minimum. Drop it all in a spreadsheet, and just make a note when you open/close a card, etc. In this game, data is your best friend.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:31 pm

DH was at 11/24 before applying for Hyatt and Marriott personal on 4/8. Marriott approved instantly, Hyatt approved 3 weeks later (auto status line gave 2-week message up until approval).
Old Apr 30, 2016, 2:36 pm

Let's face it, folks: Chase may extend the 5/24 rule to Ink Plus and co-branded cards someday, but it isn't happening on the timeline (March & April) foretold by a certain blogger.

Of course, it could happen any time, blogger reports or no, so for the time being churn, fly, and be merry, for tomorrow we may die.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beltway
Let's face it, folks: Chase may extend the 5/24 rule to Ink Plus and co-branded cards someday, but it isn't happening on the timeline (March & April) foretold by a certain blogger.

Of course, it could happen any time, blogger reports or no, so for the time being churn, fly, and be merry, for tomorrow we may die.
Which blogger was it? I forgot. Doctor of Credit maybe? Anyways, that blogger, whomever it was, should write a piece explaining why they were wrong. I wonder what sort of revenue they generated while everyone panicked thinking they need to get their final Chase cards ASAP.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Which blogger was it? I forgot. Doctor of Credit maybe? Anyways, that blogger, whomever it was, should write a piece explaining why they were wrong. I wonder what sort of revenue they generated while everyone panicked thinking they need to get their final Chase cards ASAP.

It was DoC. He just took a week long vacation on the points he made from the referrals

Last edited by Typhoonpilot; May 1, 2016 at 8:19 am Reason: spelling
Old May 1, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
It was DoC. He wasn't wrong. His anonymous source from inside Chase was wrong.

But it's not DoC's fault everyone jumped on an anonymous rumor - honestly and openly posted as an anonymous rumor, not as fact - and went crazy.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:44 pm
Suspended

He posted an anonymous rumor, knowing it would generate massive traffic.

Anyone with an iota of common sense knew it was highly unlikely that Chase could unilaterally impose anything like 5/24 on all of their co-brand cards.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973
He posted an anonymous rumor, knowing it would generate massive traffic.

Anyone with an iota of common sense knew it was highly unlikely that Chase could unilaterally impose anything like 5/24 on all of their co-brand cards.
Well given the chase cards are adhering to 5/24 it isn't a stretch to then believe that the co-branded were doing the same thing. Yes, it seems like chase would have less control with terms over their co branded cards but nonetheless, not a slam dunk, crazier things have happened. Claiming to be certain there was no 5/24 on co-branded AFTER the fact is not going out on a limb.
Old May 1, 2016, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Well given the chase cards are adhering to 5/24 it isn't a stretch to then believe that the co-branded were doing the same thing. Yes, it seems like chase would have less control with terms over their co branded cards but nonetheless, not a slam dunk, crazier things have happened. Claiming to be certain there was no 5/24 on co-branded AFTER the fact is not going out on a limb.
I'm not claiming it after the fact. I said it was nonsense on the day it was "reported."

Denying applicants for credit-related reasons is one thing; telling, e.g., a United Airlines customer that he can't have a UA card because he opened a Citi card, a Best Buy card, a Home Depot card, and two other cards 22 months ago is quite another.
Old May 1, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
The poster you quoted stated that he believed it wouldn't happen when the 'rumor' first appeared. He was among several people that thought it was unlikely that the cobranded partners wouldn't allow it to happen even if Chase inclined to do it.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:45 pm

got Marriott personal and business late march...applied for IHG 4/27 and was auto approved....the sky is not falling.
Good point about recording your credit card open close dates, I never bothered with date of bonus, but looked it up on old statements just to make sure...I record cards in a book I keep with all my loyalty program numbers, id's, passwords, security answers, bank accounts opening & closing dates, routing and account numbers....utility ID's and passwords, alternate e-mail addresses and passwords, savings bond numbers, IRA rollover dates, insurance policy numbers....it is a shame that you have to have a password for everything, can't wait for face recognition verification (it's coming). Having a hardcopy in the safe, to keep track of everything, is a good idea.
If you like the speculation .. of this thread, start a new thread with the latest rumor...put forth by MMS: Amex is reconsidering their stupid policy of one bonus per lifetime.......and discuss.....lol

Last edited by philemer; May 2, 2016 at 9:15 am Reason: off color comment removed
Old May 2, 2016, 12:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sedentary
It was DoC. He wasn't wrong. His anonymous source from inside Chase was wrong.
If a blogger runs with information from an anonymous source knowing that it will create panic among their target audience, then it's disingenuous to claim that the blogger wasn't wrong after the information is proven false.

If the information had proven correct, everyone would have high fived and congratulated DoC on breaking the scoop which is fine. But on the flip side, DoC needs to take his spanking like a man now that the info was proven wrong.
Old May 2, 2016, 3:17 am

I'm not defending the guy nor do I even know who he is but from what I hear he is a well respected blogger so we adjusted our apps with me getting as many Chase cards as I can and my wife not applying for any cards.

If I happens we are all set as she will have 0/24 come December 2017, just in time for CP via 2 Sw cards and 3 more Chase cards after that.

If he's wrong great, if not we are ready.

The new rule is likely to start in April. We can expect a timeline which will look something like this:

Currently, once past 5/24, you can not get Freedom, Sapphire, or Slate. You can get all other cards.

At some point in March, the INK cards will be restricted as well. We can still get personal and business co-branded cards.

At some point in April, all Chase credit cards will be included in the rule, and those past 5/24 won’t be approved for anything

This timeline reflects the upcoming change as it’s being said now. There is a possibility that it will take slightly longer for the rules to come into practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.