Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase "may" limit approvals (5/24) on co-branded cards [flame free speculation]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Moderator Note:
5/24 is the new application reality at Chase, so this speculation thread is now closed. As of this writing, there are some exceptions, and in-depth discussion is ongoing. To assist you in finding the most current information, please direct application discussions to the "Applying for Chase Cards" thread:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...5-present.html

Further discussion regarding the nuances, exceptions and possible work-arounds to Chase's imposed 5/24 limitations may also be found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...-strategy.html

==============================================

What is Chase's so-called 5/24 policy?
Does the 5/24 rule apply to applications for all Chase cards?
How does Chase calculate the number of an applicant's new cards for purposes of the 5/24 rule?
Are targeted offers exempt from the 5/24 rule?
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Via DOC

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-...branded-cards/

it seems churning on Chase is going to come to an end.

Last edited by spidy1; Feb 11, 2016 at 8:24 am
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold
This is huge shift as Chase's portfolio represents so many schemes: IHG, Marriott, United, BA, Southwest, Hyatt.

I see at least the number of companion passes to significantly decrease as people won't be able to get the two WN cards every year.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:49 am

This is not good at all. I already have CP for this year from earning it last year. Maybe I'll go ahead and try to get it one last time.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: SW, AS, UA, AA, Delta, Hilton, Hyatt, Club Carlson, SPG, IHG, Choice
I had ink plus in 2014.. Received bonus in April. Closed card last year before AF hit.
To avoid upcoming 5/24 rule and to get bonus again, if I apply for Ink card in March of this year but do not complete min spend till June (so bonus is awarded in June), do I get bonus or do I need to wait till May/June (24 mo after receiving first bonus)?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:14 am

Surprised Chase didn't implement the rule sooner or less friendly.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:42 am

It's not real surprising but I bet they loosen this rule as time goes on. Give it a year for people to close their cards when the AF comes up and then they can't sign back up because of the 5/24 rule. Or they go the route AMEX is trying and loosening their rules on people that are targeted for offers.

People will consolidate to the best available cash back card if loyalty program bonuses are eliminated (through rule changes) or earning rates drop. I don't believe Chase does very well in that realm right now.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by tys90
Or they go the route AMEX is trying and loosening their rules on people that are targeted for offers.
Are AMEX targeted offers not subject to the once-in-a-lifetime bonus per card rule?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:52 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I would have been barely affected by a 5/12 rule, but this one will bite even moderate churners. This change makes it easier to decide to stop Chasing signup bonuses and spend that time on other pursuits.

According to comments on the DOC site, this change may have begun already.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:34 am
Original Poster

I am sure most of the FT'ers will not be able get any of the Chase cards bonuses ever.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA/AA
I guess the good news is that award space should become somewhat easier to find.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:11 pm

I guess I'll be focusing more on Citi, BoA, Amex, and the rest. I don't see myself cutting back to only 5 cards every 24 months.

Depending on whether the rule is already in effect or not, I'll hit them up for one more SW card in an effort to get another CP. Mine is good through 2016, but there's no way I'll get one next year with this rule (unless I want to do a lot of reselling).
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by m1tchyj
Are AMEX targeted offers not subject to the once-in-a-lifetime bonus per card rule?
Some targeted offers do not have the once in a lifetime language- you have to read the terms to be sure
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nsx
According to comments on the DOC site, this change may have begun already.
They called...
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by briggek8717
I guess I'll be focusing more on Citi, BoA, Amex, and the rest. I don't see myself cutting back to only 5 cards every 24 months.

Depending on whether the rule is already in effect or not, I'll hit them up for one more SW card in an effort to get another CP. Mine is good through 2016, but there's no way I'll get one next year with this rule (unless I want to do a lot of reselling).
Chase has lot of good co-branded cards mainly hotels. And with Starwood-Marriott merger that may fall under chase too. And CP is a big.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by briggek8717
Amex already limits to one bonus per lifetime for personal cards. Citi is in shutdown mode right now and may be tightening more. BOA is almost useless, Barclay slightly less so but not by much.

The future doesn't look bright.

Having said that, hopefully new opportunities will come along. We'll have to adapt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.