Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5/24 Chase & non-Chase churning strategy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

5/24 Chase & non-Chase churning strategy

So with the hindrance of the Chase 5/24 limits, I wanted to gather the communities thoughts on how to best work around this in one place.

In my eyes, once you start churning more than 1 card per quarter, you have effectively nullified your ability to sign up for any chase cards ever. Unless you stop cold turkey and then bust open 4 Chase cards on the same day, then 4 more chase cards the next 91 days to total 8 in 92 days but then you'll have to go cold turkey once more 2 years. or Churn non Chase cards, once you've hit a comfortable level of points/status, then you'll have to go cold for 2 years and repeat.

The other idea I could think of works only if you are married, so while you're in your lock out period, your spouse can churn, that way at least there's a constant flow of sign up bonuses coming through.

In an effort to keep churning alive and time worthy, does anyone else have any strategies aside from the 1 per quarter method or the lengthy strategy I mentioned above?

Or do we just completely go anti-Chase and churn non chase cards.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
A few reports of having a Chase Private Client account bypasses the 5/24 rule.

No mention as to how much you'd need to have on deposit.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mhdena
A few reports of having a Chase Private Client account bypasses the 5/24 rule.

No mention as to how much you'd need to have on deposit.
I believe its $250k. But if I had $250k to spare, I probably wouldn't need to churn. =(
osotoc likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ChurningMan
In an effort to keep churning alive and time worthy, does anyone else have any strategies aside from the 1 per quarter method or the lengthy strategy I mentioned above?
Yes. Responsible churning.

I am not against the idea of churning as I am a churner as well.

However, I seriously doubt that if a churner really needs a variety of miles/points.

Or do we just completely go anti-Chase and churn non chase cards.
Unless Chase's portfolio changes, it is unlikely that churners can avoid Chase.

I believe its $250k. But if I had $250k to spare, I probably wouldn't need to churn. =(
No. $225K.

Many people with assets do churn.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:04 am

My wife was under 5/24 when it went into place, so I'm churning her through all the Chase cards at a rate 3 per/year.

I was at about 25/24 when it went into place, so I'm churning through Amex, Citi and BoA business cards until I'm back under 5/24.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by garykung
Yes. Responsible churning.

I am not against the idea of churning as I am a churner as well.

However, I seriously doubt that if a churner really needs a variety of miles/points.

Unless Chase's portfolio changes, it is unlikely that churners can avoid Chase.

No. $225K.

Many people with assets do churn.
Please enlighten us - what do you mean by 'Responsible Churning' and what do you mean by churners don't need a 'variety' of miles/points?

Do you churn the same 1 card over and over only once every 24 months? Please englighten us with your wisdom.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:31 am

My wife stopped getting cards 2/2016 ( after a few quick apps) when I first heard of 5/24. I am going crazy with apps until ~ 10/2017 then I will stop for 24 months and she will start getting cards in late 2017 with companion pass for 18/19 being our first goal.

Does the $225K let a person churn like the old days ?

I never saw a spot on a Chase app where it even asked if you had a Chase Bank account
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can churn non-Chase business cards to your heart's delight. Since they don't show up on credit reports (unless you use them "badly"), they will be invisible to Chase.

So no need to go completely "cold turkey" for 2 years, just a need to go "business-card-only churning" for 2 years.

You can still apply for some Chase partner cards, such as Hyatt, regardless of how far beyond 5/24 you are. So you are not yet locked out of applying for "any" Chase card due to churning, just "most" Chase cards.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Please enlighten us - what do you mean by 'Responsible Churning'...
Many people are churning just because they can, not because they are in need of anything. So it is not a surprise that they over-do it. Over-doing usually has consequences (i.e. devaluations, restriction, blacklist, etc.) which Chase's 5/24 is definitely one of them.

I am not saying you should not churn. But instead of churn when you can, you should think if you really need and use that bonus, i.e. being responsible and optimizing your effort.

...and what do you mean by churners don't need a 'variety' of miles/points?
Many churners are in fact not frequent travelers, i.e. not travel enough. Most of them probably travel less than once or twice per year. In that case, why do you need a variety of miles/points when it is clear that you may not even have the use of them?

Despite how they are advertised and promoted by banks and bloggers, all miles/points have their own limitations.

Do you churn the same 1 card over and over only once every 24 months?
I only churn 2 cards - 1 in odd years and another one in even years.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Many churners are in fact not frequent travelers, i.e. not travel enough. Most of them probably travel less than once or twice per year. In that case, why do you need a variety of miles/points when it is clear that you may not even have the use of them?
This is my personal view of many of the crowd on reddit, acquiring large bonuses for the sake of acquiring them, and not necessarily having a long term strategy. I like to take 2-3 large trips a year and work towards right right miles/points to do that, don't just go after big bonuses for the sake of getting them. Case in point is the 100k BA card offer a few months ago. Great offer, but I didn't think I'd have much of a personal use for 100k Avios, between surcharges and their redemption levels relative to other currencies.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:12 pm

Many people are churning just because they can, not because they are in need of anything. So it is not a surprise that they over-do it. Over-doing usually has consequences (i.e. devaluations, restriction, blacklist, etc.) which Chase's 5/24 is definitely one of them.

I am not saying you should not churn. But instead of churn when you can, you should think if you really need and use that bonus, i.e. being responsible and optimizing your effort.

Despite how they are advertised and promoted by banks and bloggers, all miles/points have their own limitations.

Totally agree here. A lot of people seem to churn just for the sake of it, and because it tends to catch on, banks end up clamping down and the rules change for everyone. Or not even just banks -- airlines then end up devaluing too many people have too many miles.

To me, it makes sense to go after the bonuses that suit your lifestyle and needs, no more and no less, and not what TPG or some such says you should go after.

As far as a Chase strategy, it's pretty clear cut. You either have to avoid applying for cards altogether until you satisfy 5/24, only apply for business cards which won't show on your personal CR, or just accept that Chase is off limits until/unless the rules change again. Don't think you are missing any ideas, because that's just the way it is for now.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 9:30 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
1 card per year? That's not churning, that's... stirring gently.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
1 card per year? That's not churning, that's... stirring gently.
I am a frequent traveler.

It is obvious that I have more perks in nature unlike most churners. As pathetic as it sounds, most perks are not available to me when I use miles/points to book. My current balance of combined miles/points is close to 1 million, and I have no plan of using it (don't ask me to give them to you ).

To me, the only purpose of churning is to top-off my existing accounts, and nothing else. I know I could churn more to get more. For example, I could get a CSP to top-off my UR or a Citi Prestige to top-off my TY or both. But I lack motivation as I don't need them. What's the point for me to get another 55K when I never spent a single UR earned?

I am not looking for suggestions. But if I don't need (and use) them, why should I apply for more cards, which can potentially cause more troubles that you can think of? Hence, 1 card per year.

Churning is always tempting. That's why you need self-discipline.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:38 am
In memoriam

The option to open a new thread about "Responsible Churning" is open.

But, me, I would sure like to hear what folks have to say about churning strategy in view of Chase's new policies--especially since I have just been turned down twice on two INK card apps (one over the 'net and one in-branch app for 70K bonus) for too many cards.

How about some on-topic discussion? @:-)
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You can churn non-Chase business cards to your heart's delight. Since they don't show up on credit reports (unless you use them "badly"), they will be invisible to Chase.

So no need to go completely "cold turkey" for 2 years, just a need to go "business-card-only churning" for 2 years.
Can we be 100% sure that Chase won't find a way to start seeing non Chase Business cards in the future ?

Just to be safe I'm leaving my wife card free until late 2017.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.