5/24 Chase & non-Chase churning strategy

Old Jul 20, 16, 12:20 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 33
5/24 Chase & non-Chase churning strategy

So with the hindrance of the Chase 5/24 limits, I wanted to gather the communities thoughts on how to best work around this in one place.

In my eyes, once you start churning more than 1 card per quarter, you have effectively nullified your ability to sign up for any chase cards ever. Unless you stop cold turkey and then bust open 4 Chase cards on the same day, then 4 more chase cards the next 91 days to total 8 in 92 days but then you'll have to go cold turkey once more 2 years. or Churn non Chase cards, once you've hit a comfortable level of points/status, then you'll have to go cold for 2 years and repeat.

The other idea I could think of works only if you are married, so while you're in your lock out period, your spouse can churn, that way at least there's a constant flow of sign up bonuses coming through.

In an effort to keep churning alive and time worthy, does anyone else have any strategies aside from the 1 per quarter method or the lengthy strategy I mentioned above?

Or do we just completely go anti-Chase and churn non chase cards.
ChurningMan is offline  
Old Jul 20, 16, 12:46 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: LAX, BUR
Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Posts: 1,833
A few reports of having a Chase Private Client account bypasses the 5/24 rule.

No mention as to how much you'd need to have on deposit.
mhdena is online now  
Old Jul 20, 16, 12:56 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
A few reports of having a Chase Private Client account bypasses the 5/24 rule.

No mention as to how much you'd need to have on deposit.
I believe its $250k. But if I had $250k to spare, I probably wouldn't need to churn. =(
osotoc likes this.
ChurningMan is offline  
Old Jul 21, 16, 2:29 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 13,017
Originally Posted by ChurningMan View Post
In an effort to keep churning alive and time worthy, does anyone else have any strategies aside from the 1 per quarter method or the lengthy strategy I mentioned above?
Yes. Responsible churning.

I am not against the idea of churning as I am a churner as well.

However, I seriously doubt that if a churner really needs a variety of miles/points.

Originally Posted by ChurningMan View Post
Or do we just completely go anti-Chase and churn non chase cards.
Unless Chase's portfolio changes, it is unlikely that churners can avoid Chase.

Originally Posted by ChurningMan View Post
I believe its $250k. But if I had $250k to spare, I probably wouldn't need to churn. =(
No. $225K.

Many people with assets do churn.
garykung is offline  
Old Jul 21, 16, 9:04 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: xLAS
Posts: 1,321
My wife was under 5/24 when it went into place, so I'm churning her through all the Chase cards at a rate 3 per/year.

I was at about 25/24 when it went into place, so I'm churning through Amex, Citi and BoA business cards until I'm back under 5/24.
ajc1970 is offline  
Old Jul 21, 16, 6:07 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Yes. Responsible churning.

I am not against the idea of churning as I am a churner as well.

However, I seriously doubt that if a churner really needs a variety of miles/points.



Unless Chase's portfolio changes, it is unlikely that churners can avoid Chase.



No. $225K.

Many people with assets do churn.
Please enlighten us - what do you mean by 'Responsible Churning' and what do you mean by churners don't need a 'variety' of miles/points?

Do you churn the same 1 card over and over only once every 24 months? Please englighten us with your wisdom.
ChurningMan is offline  
Old Jul 22, 16, 12:31 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Posts: 5,706
My wife stopped getting cards 2/2016 ( after a few quick apps) when I first heard of 5/24. I am going crazy with apps until ~ 10/2017 then I will stop for 24 months and she will start getting cards in late 2017 with companion pass for 18/19 being our first goal.


Does the $225K let a person churn like the old days ?

I never saw a spot on a Chase app where it even asked if you had a Chase Bank account
flyer4512 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 16, 1:13 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: home = LAX
Posts: 25,200
You can churn non-Chase business cards to your heart's delight. Since they don't show up on credit reports (unless you use them "badly"), they will be invisible to Chase.

So no need to go completely "cold turkey" for 2 years, just a need to go "business-card-only churning" for 2 years.

You can still apply for some Chase partner cards, such as Hyatt, regardless of how far beyond 5/24 you are. So you are not yet locked out of applying for "any" Chase card due to churning, just "most" Chase cards.
sdsearch is offline  
Old Jul 22, 16, 2:07 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 13,017
Originally Posted by ChurningMan View Post
Please enlighten us - what do you mean by 'Responsible Churning'...
Many people are churning just because they can, not because they are in need of anything. So it is not a surprise that they over-do it. Over-doing usually has consequences (i.e. devaluations, restriction, blacklist, etc.) which Chase's 5/24 is definitely one of them.

I am not saying you should not churn. But instead of churn when you can, you should think if you really need and use that bonus, i.e. being responsible and optimizing your effort.

Originally Posted by ChurningMan View Post
...and what do you mean by churners don't need a 'variety' of miles/points?
Many churners are in fact not frequent travelers, i.e. not travel enough. Most of them probably travel less than once or twice per year. In that case, why do you need a variety of miles/points when it is clear that you may not even have the use of them?

Despite how they are advertised and promoted by banks and bloggers, all miles/points have their own limitations.

Originally Posted by ChurningMan View Post
Do you churn the same 1 card over and over only once every 24 months?
I only churn 2 cards - 1 in odd years and another one in even years.
garykung is offline  
Old Jul 22, 16, 2:48 pm
  #10  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: IAH
Programs: DL PM, AS 75K, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt Ist-iest
Posts: 9,836
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Many churners are in fact not frequent travelers, i.e. not travel enough. Most of them probably travel less than once or twice per year. In that case, why do you need a variety of miles/points when it is clear that you may not even have the use of them?
This is my personal view of many of the crowd on reddit, acquiring large bonuses for the sake of acquiring them, and not necessarily having a long term strategy. I like to take 2-3 large trips a year and work towards right right miles/points to do that, don't just go after big bonuses for the sake of getting them. Case in point is the 100k BA card offer a few months ago. Great offer, but I didn't think I'd have much of a personal use for 100k Avios, between surcharges and their redemption levels relative to other currencies.
krazykanuck is online now  
Old Jul 22, 16, 6:12 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 282
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Many people are churning just because they can, not because they are in need of anything. So it is not a surprise that they over-do it. Over-doing usually has consequences (i.e. devaluations, restriction, blacklist, etc.) which Chase's 5/24 is definitely one of them.

I am not saying you should not churn. But instead of churn when you can, you should think if you really need and use that bonus, i.e. being responsible and optimizing your effort.



Many churners are in fact not frequent travelers, i.e. not travel enough. Most of them probably travel less than once or twice per year. In that case, why do you need a variety of miles/points when it is clear that you may not even have the use of them?

Despite how they are advertised and promoted by banks and bloggers, all miles/points have their own limitations.



I only churn 2 cards - 1 in odd years and another one in even years.
Totally agree here. A lot of people seem to churn just for the sake of it, and because it tends to catch on, banks end up clamping down and the rules change for everyone. Or not even just banks -- airlines then end up devaluing too many people have too many miles.

To me, it makes sense to go after the bonuses that suit your lifestyle and needs, no more and no less, and not what TPG or some such says you should go after.

As far as a Chase strategy, it's pretty clear cut. You either have to avoid applying for cards altogether until you satisfy 5/24, only apply for business cards which won't show on your personal CR, or just accept that Chase is off limits until/unless the rules change again. Don't think you are missing any ideas, because that's just the way it is for now.
kdm31091 is offline  
Old Jul 22, 16, 9:30 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SJC/SFO
Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Posts: 5,832
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
I only churn 2 cards - 1 in odd years and another one in even years.
1 card per year? That's not churning, that's... stirring gently.
darthbimmer is offline  
Old Jul 22, 16, 11:41 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 13,017
Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
1 card per year? That's not churning, that's... stirring gently.
I am a frequent traveler.

It is obvious that I have more perks in nature unlike most churners. As pathetic as it sounds, most perks are not available to me when I use miles/points to book. My current balance of combined miles/points is close to 1 million, and I have no plan of using it (don't ask me to give them to you ).

To me, the only purpose of churning is to top-off my existing accounts, and nothing else. I know I could churn more to get more. For example, I could get a CSP to top-off my UR or a Citi Prestige to top-off my TY or both. But I lack motivation as I don't need them. What's the point for me to get another 55K when I never spent a single UR earned?

I am not looking for suggestions. But if I don't need (and use) them, why should I apply for more cards, which can potentially cause more troubles that you can think of? Hence, 1 card per year.

Churning is always tempting. That's why you need self-discipline.
garykung is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 9:38 am
  #14  
In memoriam
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,020
The option to open a new thread about "Responsible Churning" is open.

But, me, I would sure like to hear what folks have to say about churning strategy in view of Chase's new policies--especially since I have just been turned down twice on two INK card apps (one over the 'net and one in-branch app for 70K bonus) for too many cards.

How about some on-topic discussion? @:-)
biggestbopper is offline  
Old Jul 23, 16, 10:12 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Programs: IHG,Hyatt, Hilton Diamond, Marriott, Wyndham, SPG, United, Delta, Alaska, AA, Southwest
Posts: 5,706
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
You can churn non-Chase business cards to your heart's delight. Since they don't show up on credit reports (unless you use them "badly"), they will be invisible to Chase.

So no need to go completely "cold turkey" for 2 years, just a need to go "business-card-only churning" for 2 years.
Can we be 100% sure that Chase won't find a way to start seeing non Chase Business cards in the future ?

Just to be safe I'm leaving my wife card free until late 2017.
flyer4512 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: