Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
="3"%This thread is a continuation of the archived mega thread, found here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...t-credit.html]

Public Offer:40k for $2K spend + 25K for $10K spend.. Other goodies. ($95 annual fee waived the first year)

="2"%Public 40k + 25k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
https://www.theexplorercard.com

="2"%Targeted 50k + 5k ($95 annual fee waived the first year)
Landing page

Targeted 60k + 3k ($95 annual fee waived the first year) good thru 9/22/21
Landing Page.

Note: For targeted offers, you will be required to login to your MileagePlus account.
If, after logging in, you're redirected to a lower offer, it means you're not targeted.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

Public 50k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Redirect page Application page

Targeted 70k + 5k AU + $50 SC offer (AF not waived, reappeared 2/1/17)
Landing page Redirect page Application page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Targeted 70k + 5k AU offer (AF not waived, expired 6/30/16)
Landing page Alternate Landing Page expired 7/31/17)

Chase Private Clients may be pre-approved for better or different offers, it's worth asking your banker.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
no longer available

Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card currently offering 30K miles: United MP Business card: public offer now 50K miles!!

Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
How long should I wait between canceling a card and then reapplying?
What's the Chase "5/24" policy I keep hearing about?
Now that I've completed the required spend, when will my signup bonus post?

See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward

Where can I find an online copy of the guide to the card's benefits (such as purchase protection, car rental CDW coverage, etc.)?
Go to https://www.chasebenefits.com/unitedVW4

A few of the best features of the card include priority boarding, a free checked bag, and increased award ticket availability. Priority boarding and the free checked bag for cardholders is included even on the new "basic economy" fares.

For discussion of Mileage Plus benefits, see the master thread in the United forum, found here: United MileagePlus Master Wiki

Print Wikipost

United Explorer Card (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:55 pm

How to properly cancel Chase MileagePlus Explorer

Hello,

I've had a my MileagePlus Explorer card for little over a year. I've put thousands of dollars on it and want to use the miles some time next year.
However, I do not want to continue with this card and cancel it, avoiding the next 95$ yearly fee. My reasons are:
  • Currently I do not have a lot of spending volume
  • I have other cards and the miles output is fairly low for the volume I put on - and miles restricted to United
  • I'd like to upgrade to Chase Spahire Reserve some time 2019 (when I'll have higher spending volume again)
  • I do not use these lounge passes - the one I forcefully used and was just disappointed by the United Cloub lounge and the other one expired
My first credit card statement lists "12/09/17" as the opening date. On 12/9 I received my 2 new passes already. The new membership fee is not billed to my card yet.
  1. Is it too late to cancel the card without incurring the 95$ yearly fee? If not, until what date can I cancel?
  2. I know I won't loose my miles that are already on my MileagePlus account. But how can I make sure that I get the miles from current balance on the card? Should I immideately pay off my balance and then call them to cancel?
  3. Optimum would be a retention bonus like 95$ statement credit. Any experience how easy it is to get this? (I had the AAdvantage Explorer before and they claimed they would not have any retention bonuses so I ended up cancelling)
Thanks, divB
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

If you look at your November paper or PDF statement there should be a notice telling you when the annual fee will be billed. It's always on the first of a month, I expect it will be billed on 1.1.2019.

Also on the statement you will find the cancellation policy. I expect it will tell you that you can avoid the fee if you cancel within 30 days after the statement showing the fee is issued.

Retention offers are discussed in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...all-cards.html
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:08 pm

Hi mia,

Thank you, that's very useful. Indeed I saw the statement about the 30 days time AFTER the fee has been billed. That's good. Didn't see any information about the day (1st each month or so) but that's fine.

Link about retention bonuses is very useful. Seems they don't give it frequently. Spent about 13k. But will see.

Is there any experience how to best handle the remaining balance/miles? My current balance is 3100$ which would correspond to 3100 miles. What is the best way (if any) to ensure I will receive these 3100 miles before the card gets canceled?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
After the annual fee posts, I'd recommend downgrading the card vs. closing it. There is a no annual fee United card, and that way you can keep the history and credit line.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:07 pm

Reminder that you have more available award travel when you are have the MP Explorer...that could mean more flexibility when you booking award travel. That coupled with the free checked bags and priority boarding make the $95 worth it to me alone...
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
United Explorer Card after current signup bonus expires

Hi there, so I'm finally canceling my authorized user card on a grandfathered United Mileage Plus Select card and planning to apply for the Explorer card instead. I regret not applying for it in the past when I was invited to and when the bonus was much better (70,000+ bonus miles) than the current one (40,000 plus 25,000 after hitting spend targets). The current promo expires January 8. Do you think the offer will be better or worse than after that date? Should I wait?

Edit: I'm not worried about hitting the 65,000 mile spend target. I certainly could get there, though I'd rather still use my Sapphire card as my primary everyday card.

Last edited by char777; Dec 28, 2018 at 8:26 am
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:46 pm

Question United Explorer Card - Authorized User Benefits

Hi all

I'm was in the process of signing up for the United Explorer Card for the 40k bonus miles benefits (spending 2k after 3 months) and noticed you can add authorized users at time of application.

I know the bonus offer is only for the primary card holder but what about other benefits such as free checked bag, Global Entry credit and priority boarding?

FYI I did try calling Chase but their phone number 1-847-888-6600 doesn't allow me to route to someone to ask these questions (!)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Only the primary cardholder gets the free checked bag and priority boarding (but it would of course apply to an authorized user who is on the same reservation booked by the primary cardholder). You should be able to use the Global Entry credit for anyone, but you get one per account not one for the primary and one per authorized user.
MitzEclipse likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:53 pm

My card is to expire in Feb, anyone know when my new card will come?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 2:17 pm

To earn the bonus, does the spending come from ONLY the primary cardholder or is it a COMBINED spending (if an authorized user is added)?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by my523
To earn the bonus, does the spending come from ONLY the primary cardholder or is it a COMBINED spending (if an authorized user is added)?
Combined.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:48 pm

I received the two United Club one-time passes included in the United Explorer Card. I am considering a flight that connects in EWR Terminal C. There is no PP lounges there but looks like there is a United Polaris Lounge there. Can I use the United Club one-time passes at the Polaris Lounge?

Edit: Nevermind - saw in some comments on some of the Polaris lounge reviews that the United Club isn't valid...too bad.

Last edited by MitzEclipse; Jan 6, 2019 at 9:56 pm
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
Need to use card to purchase

I just applied for the card and got approved (not immediately but through calling after my app was in pending). I’d like to purchase a United flight with this card to get the free checked bag benefit but Chase will not provide Card number or rush the card, any ideas on how to get the card number other than the last four on the Chase site?

also, am I correct that I HAVE to book using the Explorer card to get the priority boarding and checked bags?

Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: WN A-list, Hyatt Glob, HH DM, Marriott Plat
Having United Club and Explorer cards at the same time?

Can I apply for the Explorer card, and then after 2-3 months for the Club card and have them at the same time if I never had either of them before?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the 25% off inflight purchases apply to the Club card, or only Explorer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.