Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2016, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
To my knowledge and experience this doesn't work. Here is a good summary from Reddit on product downgrade options for Chase partner cards, and while it doesn't discuss product changes, many of the comments do, and say that you have to stay in the same family of cards, ie: United, or Southwest, or Marriott. https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co..._cards_united/

That's consistent with my failed attempts to convert my now closed United Explorer card to a CSP in September or October 2016 (only option was to downgrade to the no AF United card, which I already had) and also my failed attempt to convert my no AF United card to a Freedom Unlimited last month.
But UA and the big travel partners have multiple cards, so there is a card in that family they can convert you to.

But is there more than one card in the Disney Premier, AARP, or Amazon card "families"? What do they if you tell them you want to convert one of those "more obscure" (at least in FT terms) cards? Without 5/24, the average FTer would have little interest in those cards. But if they were to provide an obscure roundabout path for someone who fails 5/24 to get a new UR card, that might be interesting.

Obviously, when Chase discontinues a partner, they change your partner card to a Freedom (in the past; who knows if it'll be Freedom or Freedom Unlimited in the future?). That happened to me with the former Chase Amtrak card last fall. So they can do it when they want.
Old May 9, 2016, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by rtruitt0708
i applied, was not auto approved and friday at about 5:00 i missed a call from Chase Fraud prevention center, referenced the Chase Sapphire and a reference number to call back. When i did the office was closed, would reopen on monday. anyone have this experience??
DW had such a call on a Sunday @6 months ago, called back 5 minutes later, only to get a recorded message that the office is not open on Sunday.

When she called back on Monday, they asked a bunch of ID verification questions. When she passed that hurdle, they sent the app on to be considered by the credit department.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:20 am

Need Advice

How long should I wait from closing my Marriott card, before reapplying?

Thanks I appreciate any input.
Old May 9, 2016, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
How long should I wait from closing my Marriott card, before reapplying?

Thanks I appreciate any input.
There's explicit input in the wiki (under Great! So if I received the same card more than 2 years ago, I can apply again and get the bonus, right?).
Old May 9, 2016, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
There's explicit input in the wiki (under Great! So if I received the same card more than 2 years ago, I can apply again and get the bonus, right?).
I read the wiki where it states Chase's policy does not indicate minimum waiting period.... and not yet sufficient anecdotal evidence from FTers to draw firm conclusions...

So I was hoping for advice from the "experts" or from anyone's personal experience.

Thanks. I appreciate any input.
Old May 9, 2016, 1:58 pm

Which order to take?

With the new 5/24 rule, I had a general question for strategy to balance success of being approved for new cards while also taking into account your credit score and trying to minimize any impact on it.

Would you recommend closing accounts (that you plan to close) BEFORE applying for Chase cards? Or would you say to apply for the cards you want and then close the other accounts after you've been approved?

Do you think your success rate for being approved for cards through Chase will increase if you had closed other accounts with AMEX and/or Chase and have less cards open before applying? Or do you hedge your bets and apply for new cards, and then only close old accounts if approved or leave those accounts open if denied, as to not impact your credit score which is based on ratio of debt/credit.
Old May 9, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by soartoday
Surprising data point... Has this previously been reported, or is this a HUCA situation?

I was denied CSP initially for 5/24, but one of the 5 was an authorized user account.

Submitted for reconsideration with an agent who noted that I don't have responsibility for paying the authorized user account, but was STILL denied after reconsideration (received new letter in mail saying "we are unable to process your request based on the reasons provided on the previous letter sent in response to your original application."

When I called back in to ask what happened, the Lending Services agent indicated that it was due to multiple accounts opened in 2013 and 2014, before the 24-month recent period!
Originally Posted by beltway
These reps have a roving commission to find any excuse to deny you. That's why it's better, whenever feasible, to let the automated system work its slow magic instead of calling.
Well, it seemed like the rep was basically ready to approve me, but a fluke (disconnected phone call) resulted in someone else looking at the file. The later explanation was that the rep was only "submitting" the file for review, and the results of that review was rejection.

Originally Posted by jsk1973
This sounds like you were a so-so case from an underwriting standpoint. How long is your credit history? Do you know your FICO score?
12-year credit history, FICO 800+, was approved for 8 other cards from non-Chase issuers in past month

Originally Posted by odin99
call again.
I guess it certainly can't hurt, but any existing reports of calls to appeal reconsideration denials?
Old May 9, 2016, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by soartoday
Well, it seemed like the rep was basically ready to approve me, but a fluke (disconnected phone call) resulted in someone else looking at the file. The later explanation was that the rep was only "submitting" the file for review, and the results of that review was rejection.
Frontline Chase recon reps often don't have the power to approve; they can only recommend approval and kick it up the chain for a supervisor to render a decision.

12-year credit history, FICO 800+, was approved for 8 other cards from non-Chase issuers in past month
There's your answer right there. You've got about a 1-in-1,000 chance of a Chase recon rep approving you after 8 recent approvals.

(In a prior message, didn't you say you were only at 5/24, with one of them being an AU? Or did you keep applying elsewhere after being denied for the CSP?)
Old May 9, 2016, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
I read the wiki where it states Chase's policy does not indicate minimum waiting period.... and not yet sufficient anecdotal evidence from FTers to draw firm conclusions...

So I was hoping for advice from the "experts" or from anyone's personal experience.

Thanks. I appreciate any input.
But "not yet sufficient anecdotal evidence" means there hasn't been any.

The problem is that no one knows exactly when Chase checks for this. Chase often takes weeks, if not a month or more, to approve (or deny) you, and no one is sure when during that process they check this stuff, and even if they do it at a consistent time. With a bank that approves way faster, it'd much easier to tell, but with Chase in 2016, it's not easy to tell even from a few anecdotes.

The wiki says a couple weeks seems safer, I'd be even more paranoid and say a month or two would seem even safer, but the only way to know if it can be shorter would be (a) for people to have tried to re-apply the very next day after cancelling and then (b) for them to be approved or denied virtually immediately. Just because person A tried re-applying the very next day after cancelling and then got approved 6 weeks later does not prove that cancelling and then re-applying the next day would have worked if the application had been processed much more quickly.

Only a tiny fraction of users of Chase cards use the cards regularly (and thus care about how long they're without the card) and yet want to churn them. Most people who use the Marriott card (or some other Chase partner card) very regularly don't churn it. Most people who churn the Marriott card (or some other Chase partner card) don't use it regularly (and so don't mind waiting a couple months or even more after cancelling before re-applying).

And thus I suspect very few people are even trying the tight timing which would be required to build up such datapoints.
Old May 9, 2016, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But "not yet sufficient anecdotal evidence" means there hasn't been any.

The problem is that no one knows exactly when Chase checks for this. Chase often takes weeks, if not a month or more, to approve (or deny) you, and no one is sure when during that process they check this stuff, and even if they do it at a consistent time. With a bank that approves way faster, it'd much easier to tell, but with Chase in 2016, it's not easy to tell even from a few anecdotes.

The wiki says a couple weeks seems safer, I'd be even more paranoid and say a month or two would seem even safer, but the only way to know if it can be shorter would be (a) for people to have tried to re-apply the very next day after cancelling and then (b) for them to be approved or denied virtually immediately. Just because person A tried re-applying the very next day after cancelling and then got approved 6 weeks later does not prove that cancelling and then re-applying the next day would have worked if the application had been processed much more quickly.

Only a tiny fraction of users of Chase cards use the cards regularly (and thus care about how long they're without the card) and yet want to churn them. Most people who use the Marriott card (or some other Chase partner card) very regularly don't churn it. Most people who churn the Marriott card (or some other Chase partner card) don't use it regularly (and so don't mind waiting a couple months or even more after cancelling before re-applying).

And thus I suspect very few people are even trying the tight timing which would be required to build up such datapoints.
Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Frontline Chase recon reps often don't have the power to approve; they can only recommend approval and kick it up the chain for a supervisor to render a decision.

There's your answer right there. You've got about a 1-in-1,000 chance of a Chase recon rep approving you after 8 recent approvals.

(In a prior message, didn't you say you were only at 5/24, with one of them being an AU? Or did you keep applying elsewhere after being denied for the CSP?)
Yeah, I passed 5/24, then applied for cards from other issuers (was just responding to question about my credit quality). Chase did NOT re-pull credit report, as their explanation for denial was previous cards in 2013-2014 that fell outside of 24 months, not the recent ones I opened.
Old May 9, 2016, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Interesting. Looks like some of these reps are really cracking down, if they're looking that far back and still denying people with excellent FICO scores.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:04 am

Interesting. Looks like some of these reps are really cracking down, if they're looking that far back and still denying people with excellent FICO scores.
There are reasons people have an app denied. Then there are things the Recon CSR mentions during a call. Sometimes the two are related.
Old May 10, 2016, 10:42 am

Are there any data points on exactly how soon one can apply for a new card after waiting for a card to hit more than two years old?

For example, I'm at 5 cards in the last 24 months, and one of my credit reports shows my 5th newest card on June 9, 2014. Can I apply on June 10, 2016? But another credit report only says June 2014. Does Chase see the exact date?
Old May 10, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott
Recently received the United 30,000 card, still waiting on the cards in the mail.

I recently made a purchase through the UR Mall hoping to get the targeted 50,000 United offer. Just got an email today with the offer. I've heard that companies will honor the new offer since I just was approved for the different offer. Is this true? What are my next steps?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.