FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1707643-archived-applying-chase-credit-cards-may-2015-jan-2017-a.html)

knowledgeispower Jul 7, 2015 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by expatinAMS (Post 25083881)
Long time listener, first time caller. Got denied the CSP and wanted to provide an interesting data point and experience. I am under the maybe-existing 5 card limit, with a Citi, Chase United, AMEX (charge, not credit), CapitalOne card open under the last 2 years, and had a Chase Sapphire (not preferred) for 4 years before I closed it (stupidly, maybe) in January because I moved abroad. AU on my husbands Chase United card. 765 FICO score, 9 years of credit.

Called 3 times over the last couple days and tried to get them to reconsider, citing the AU and the AMEX being a charge not a credit and asking is 3 cards (or what I consider 3 cards) really too many? Thought I'd go with the ol' "keep calling until you get a yes" approach. The last time I called just now and was told as soon as I gave my reference information that "I see on the account you've already called a couple times regarding this application, and we have already explained that you have opened too many cards in the past 2 years. What further questions do you have?" Was not expecting that one. Any one else been told that they are tracking their number of calls?

Also, resolution of that call was the rep telling me that under no condition would my application be reopened no matter what. Oy vey.

Tracking calls is normal for most customer service numbers. Usually they can see how many times and when a person has called to inquire about a specific account as well as any notes the previous rep left. It's supposed to help facilitate further follow-ups but unfortunately in this situation didn't work in your favor! I've never really tried calling more than twice so never had such an experience...

aza72 Jul 7, 2015 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by expatinAMS (Post 25083881)
Long time listener, first time caller. Got denied the CSP and wanted to provide an interesting data point and experience. I am under the maybe-existing 5 card limit, with a Citi, Chase United, AMEX (charge, not credit), CapitalOne card open under the last 2 years, and had a Chase Sapphire (not preferred) for 4 years before I closed it (stupidly, maybe) in January because I moved abroad. AU on my husbands Chase United card. 765 FICO score, 9 years of credit.

Called 3 times over the last couple days and tried to get them to reconsider, citing the AU and the AMEX being a charge not a credit and asking is 3 cards (or what I consider 3 cards) really too many? Thought I'd go with the ol' "keep calling until you get a yes" approach. The last time I called just now and was told as soon as I gave my reference information that "I see on the account you've already called a couple times regarding this application, and we have already explained that you have opened too many cards in the past 2 years. What further questions do you have?" Was not expecting that one. Any one else been told that they are tracking their number of calls?

Also, resolution of that call was the rep telling me that under no condition would my application be reopened no matter what. Oy vey.

I respect your persistence, and welcome to FlyerTalk! Goes against what other people have said where they have gotten them to disregard the AU cards. Sounds like you got a particular punitive CSR who wrote a note in your account. Chalk it up to the mysteries of the new rules!

If you aren't in it for the bonus, I have heard of people reopening closed cards, which you could then try to upgrade. But not sure if this is possible after so long.

RNE Jul 7, 2015 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 25081643)
Not really odd: we have numerous data points indicating that co-branded cards are not affected by Chase's new 5/24 policy.

Originally Posted by knowledgeispower (Post 25083907)
Well he clearly was able to persuade them to override the denial.

Yes, but according to the quoted post above yours, the applicant never should have had to call recon because of "...numerous data points indicating that co-branded cards are not affected by Chase's new 5/24 policy." Oops.

beltway Jul 7, 2015 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 25084300)
Yes, but according to the quoted post above yours, the applicant never should have had to call recon because of "...numerous data points indicating that co-branded cards are not affected by Chase's new 5/24 policy." Oops.

It will come as a surprise to you that Chase might conceivably have policies besides the 5/24 policy. The fact that this applicant encountered difficulty may be attributable to some other factor(s); indeed, the fact that
  • the CSR's spiel did not invoke a specific number of recent applications, and
  • the applicant was, unlike those affected by the 5/24 policy, able to get approval
strongly suggests that other factors were involved here.

Sorry to burst your logical fallacy.

sdsearch Jul 7, 2015 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by rchen404 (Post 25083286)
Applied for many cards over the past 2 years. 800+ fico.

Recon line gave me a hard time with my Marriott co branded card approval. Said I seem to be credit seeking (getting cards just for rewards) because on one of my many Chase cards, I didn't do more than minimum spend. Also said my total credit line was too high relative to income.

Reluctantly approved me after moving credit

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 25083740)
Glad you (eventually) got approved. How shocking that you had to call recon. The "experts" insist co-branded cards "are not affected." ;)

Actually, Chase not liking people who only do the minimum spend and nothing else is not new, and way predates the May introduction of the anti-churning tendencies (for at least personal UR).

So it's unclear if rchen404 would even have gotten such a hard time had they not stopped spending after meeting minimum spend.

I never stop spending completely after meeting minimum spend on my Chase cards any more. It's not that I do huge spend, but for example my United card I used overseas for some hotels on a recent trip (because it was one of my Chase cards with 0% forex and the only one of those that I'm planing to cancel), and before that I used it for MileagePlus Dining some after the turn of the year (when I needed 11 dines in the new year to maintain VIP status through next year).

At any rate, because of the mention of "no spend after meeting minimum spend" on previous Chase cards, plus the mention of "too high a credit limit relative to income" on existing cards, I'm not all sure that the above anecdote says anything about the new "toughness" relating to number of cards opened.

Ed Janowsky Jul 7, 2015 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by rchen404 (Post 25083286)
approved me after moving credit

Hello! Let's just skip to the obvious punch line. rchen404 was not auto-approved and had to call in because s/he was up against his/her maximum credit limit with Chase and needed to move some around. Nothing new here folks.

I will say however, recon has obviously been instructed on some new policy involving too many new cards and Chase brand personal cards. And now it seems, with their new wide open eyes, they're throwing some weight around before approving co-brands. I suspect in the beginning reps were blanketly applying this new "policy" and quickly throwing around the "too many cards" excuse (possibly out of confusion), but have eased up after being retrained (for whatever reason) on the co-brands.

I also feel reps will use whatever excuse is easiest even though the denial letter may say something completely different (some reps will say anything).

What does all this mean to me? Aim for auto-approval via tried and true methods in order to skip the grilling. And then if I don't get auto-approved, wait it out without calling in.

billybayswater Jul 7, 2015 9:57 pm

This was a mostly ignored post in the biz UA thread from May

Rejected for this card under the explanation that 2 chase business cards had been previously applied for in 12 months.
Since I haven't heard this cited as a reason for denial elsewhere, I'd think this isn't a new bright-line rule like the 5 accounts/2 years, but worth considering. Also somewhat supports idea that biz cards have a different rule than personal.

StartinSanDiego Jul 8, 2015 9:26 am

Originally Posted by billybayswater (Post 25085192)
This was a mostly ignored post in the biz UA thread from May

Since I haven't heard this cited as a reason for denial elsewhere, I'd think this isn't a new bright-line rule like the 5 accounts/2 years, but worth considering. Also somewhat supports idea that biz cards have a different rule than personal.

For the SD family, recon on biz cards got tough over a year ago. We have been grilled for our new Ink apps, although nothing was ever denied. One call was so tough, it would have made the IRS proud... it was 15-20 minutes of intense questioning about the business and its revenue.

We have not tried any co-branded biz cards, although the United biz card is next up.

philemer Jul 8, 2015 12:30 pm

Mod hat on-

Name calling, including the word troll, is strictly prohibited by our Rules. I would appreciate it if everyone would review Rule #12 here: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#welcoming

Play nice or don't post. Thank you.

Mod hat off-

teammjs Jul 9, 2015 12:35 pm

Marriott churned

Success in churning a Marriott (last held over 2 years ago).

- have TONS of credit pulls in last 6 months (let alone last 2 years)
- had 2 other Chase co-brand cards I lowered to $5k each about two weeks before applying
- applied night of July 4 and got a pending (not auto-approve or invitation to call in)
- today 5 days later, called automated number and was approved with giant credit line

Possible Lessons (largely consistent with recent reports):
a) co-branded cards (at least Marriott) do appear safe to apply for as recent posts have indicated
b) having massive credit pulls will not sink you
c) lowering credit lines a few weeks out might avoid recon
d) DO NOT CALL recon pro-actively if not auto-approved!
e) I'm thinking *maybe* my application was handled generally by a computer since if there was some new risk concerns from Chase based on my application history, an analyst may not have given such a large credit line on the new card.

metoo Jul 9, 2015 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by teammjs (Post 25093063)
Success in churning a Marriott (last held over 2 years ago).

- have TONS of credit pulls in last 6 months (let alone last 2 years)
- had 2 other Chase co-brand cards I lowered to $5k each about two weeks before applying
- applied night of July 4 and got a pending (not auto-approve or invitation to call in)
- today 5 days later, called automated number and was approved with giant credit line

Possible Lessons (largely consistent with recent reports):
a) co-branded cards (at least Marriott) do appear safe to apply for as recent posts have indicated
b) having massive credit pulls will not sink you
d) DO NOT CALL recon pro-actively if not auto-approved!
e) I'm thinking *maybe* my application was handled generally by a computer since if there was some new risk concerns from Chase based on my application history, an analyst may not have given such a large credit line on the new card.

How many active Chase account do you have before applying?
How many credit card pulls within 6 months of applying?

teammjs Jul 9, 2015 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by metoo (Post 25093644)
How many active Chase account do you have before applying?
How many credit card pulls within 6 months of applying?

I clearly answered your first question already. 2 co-brands, no Chase-specific.

I don't have a definitive answer on the second, but probably 7-9 depending on the bureau, of which all led to a new account (plus I'm likely authorized on a bunch more). In short, I was in the "danger zone" for recent requests for credit even before the potential Chase changes, and it didn't preclude me from getting the Marriott.

RNE Jul 9, 2015 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by teammjs (Post 25093063)

Alas, it didn't get you auto-approve. Anyway, thanks for the input and enjoy your Marriott points.

RNE, envious.

rchen404 Jul 10, 2015 5:19 am

Sds, I only did minimum spend on one of my 8 or 9 Chase cards.

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 25084841)
Actually, Chase not liking people who only do the minimum spend and nothing else is not new, and way predates the May introduction of the anti-churning tendencies (for at least personal UR).

So it's unclear if rchen404 would even have gotten such a hard time had they not stopped spending after meeting minimum spend.

I never stop spending completely after meeting minimum spend on my Chase cards any more. It's not that I do huge spend, but for example my United card I used overseas for some hotels on a recent trip (because it was one of my Chase cards with 0% forex and the only one of those that I'm planing to cancel), and before that I used it for MileagePlus Dining some after the turn of the year (when I needed 11 dines in the new year to maintain VIP status through next year).

At any rate, because of the mention of "no spend after meeting minimum spend" on previous Chase cards, plus the mention of "too high a credit limit relative to income" on existing cards, I'm not all sure that the above anecdote says anything about the new "toughness" relating to number of cards opened.

susieling Jul 11, 2015 11:28 am

Originally Posted by shaw1974 (Post 25037083)
I would call them back and ask for the AU cards to be removed. My wife recently got denied for CSP for the same reason, she has 4 new accounts and is an AU on one of mine. The first line rep was able to remove the AU and reconsider the app. It was then denied for lack of sufficient credit history. Find that odd since among her last 4 cards were the amex personal platinum and personal gold. Once I get the official denial letter for the lack of credit history, plan on calling back and escalating to see if we can get the decision reversed.

Can the AU be removed? My mom's Freedom app is declined and she only has total 3 cc through all credit issuers (that is, everything included) except she is AU on my 5 amex cards (all added last year). She called once and the representative lady is very hard pointing out AU can access all the credit line of the main cardholder and refuse to do anything about reconsideration :(