FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1707643-archived-applying-chase-credit-cards-may-2015-jan-2017-a.html)

jediwho Oct 1, 2015 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Ramonmv (Post 25504028)

And who do I ask? Chase? or BA?

Thank you.

You ask Chase.

beltway Oct 1, 2015 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Ramonmv (Post 25504028)
regarding the Chase British Airways card

I had this card before, but I canceled it.
I saw a great deal for signing up again, so I did.
But I think I may have jumped the gun.
I earned my last sign-up bonus (The 3rd of three that year) in Nov 2013.
I see now that I qualify for the bonuses again if I have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months.

[...]

Will I qualify?

To be clear, this card has the deal where you get so many miles after spending one amount, and then a 2nd bonus for spending so much more, and a 3rd bonus for reaching a 3rd spend amount.
So, I got the first two bonuses over 24 months ago, but that third one was about 22 months ago.

AFAICT we have no data points on whether the 24-month clock starts with the initial bonus installment or with any subsequently earned tier bonus. Since this question has come up several times, I've added a note in the wiki reflecting the state of our current ignorance.

Ramonmv Oct 1, 2015 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 25504352)
AFAICT we have no data points on whether the 24-month clock starts with the initial bonus installment or with any subsequently earned tier bonus. Since this question has come up several times, I've added a note in the wiki reflecting the state of our current ignorance.

Well, I've sent a message to Chase, and I'll come back and post after I find something out. Although I may not end up with a definitive answer as to when the 24-month clock starts.

I'm hoping that I will at least qualify if it's 24 months between bonuses, rather than 24 months between last bonus and opening a new account.

thank you.

RobertHanson Oct 1, 2015 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 25504352)

Data points about a year old. DW and I each had multiple stage bonuses for the BA card. Reapplied 2 years after the original sign up bonus, which in my case was only around a year after the annual renewal bonus. DW was more like 18 months from her last secondary spend bonus. We both got the full sign up bonus for our new cards.

beltway Oct 1, 2015 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 25505381)
Data points about a year old. DW and I each had multiple stage bonuses for the BA card. Reapplied 2 years after the original sign up bonus, which in my case was only around a year after the annual renewal bonus. DW was more like 18 months from her last secondary spend bonus. We both got the full sign up bonus for our new cards.

They key is whether the 24-month rule was in effect at that point. IIRC, it was. Am I right?

mulliganman30 Oct 1, 2015 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer (Post 25491613)
I suppose you could call reconsideration but they will see that you've already talked to a rep. To anyone else considering applying for a Chase card, do NOT call when it says to call, let it work its way through.

I reapplied with the same info in my spouse's name with the same info and was approved by letting it work through the system. Thanks for the tip! Do you think there is any chance I would get approved myself if I reapplied and just let it work through the system?

ComeSailAway Oct 1, 2015 9:36 pm

Is there any issue with applying for the Southwest Premier and Plus cards same day? From what I read they don't fall into the 5/24 rule.

solewalker Oct 2, 2015 2:14 am

Originally Posted by ComeSailAway (Post 25506551)
Is there any issue with applying for the Southwest Premier and Plus cards same day? From what I read they don't fall into the 5/24 rule.

I just applied for the Southwest Plus card yesterday, after lowering my CL with some of my other Chase cards. Got the Pending page. This is kinda un-fun after all the instant approvals I've been getting. :(

jediwho Oct 2, 2015 8:16 am

Question here: I applied on my wife's name for a Fairmont card and got the page where they asked me to call with a reference number. It's been almost a week and I haven't asked my wife to call them yet. Is there a chance they they want to reduce the credit line from other cards and move it over to Fairmont and more importantly, unless we call, they want approve the card. From what I have read here, the best strategy is not to call.

RobertHanson Oct 2, 2015 8:32 am

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 25505406)
They key is whether the 24-month rule was in effect at that point. IIRC, it was. Am I right?

Well, heck yes. Otherwise it wouldn't be a data point at all. :p

ninim2200 Oct 2, 2015 10:10 am

Applied for BA for my wife and got the message, "we received your application we'll let you know within 30 days", HPs is over 15 in 12 months, i have read that its not a good idea to call when you get a message to call them, is there any situation that it is a good idea to call these days, may be our situation?

Big4Flyer Oct 2, 2015 11:46 am

Originally Posted by mulliganman30 (Post 25506311)
I reapplied with the same info in my spouse's name with the same info and was approved by letting it work through the system. Thanks for the tip! Do you think there is any chance I would get approved myself if I reapplied and just let it work through the system?

You may want to wait for a little while, just because on the application there's the little box you have to check that indicates if you've been denied credit by Chase in the past six months. I don't know whether or not that automatically disqualifies someone from being approved for a new CC, but you might want to wait for a bit.

Big4Flyer Oct 2, 2015 11:51 am

Originally Posted by ninim2200 (Post 25508692)
Applied for BA for my wife and got the message, "we received your application we'll let you know within 30 days", HPs is over 15 in 12 months, i have read that its not a good idea to call when you get a message to call them, is there any situation that it is a good idea to call these days, may be our situation?

The way current data points are suggesting there is never a good reason to call. You are at an increased risk of being denied by calling in. Wait until you get a response, and then you can always call reconsideration. Do not call in unless you're in some sort of rush to get denied, especially if you have over 15 HPs in the last 12 months.

Ramonmv Oct 2, 2015 12:13 pm

Update on BA: Chase wrote back and said since I earned a bonus on 10/6/2013, I did not qualify. Yes, just one week from being 24 months. They looked up this info, because I did not supply it.
But I wrote back, and asked what if I don't earn the bonus before the 6th, creating 24 months between bonuses? Waiting on a reply.

But this does answer the question. The 24-month clock starts with the last of the tiered bonuses, not with the initial bonus (unless you don't earn anymore).

beltway Oct 2, 2015 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 25505381)

Compare and contrast:

Originally Posted by Ramonmv (Post 25509294)
Update on BA: Chase wrote back and said since I earned a [third-stage] bonus on 10/6/2013, I did not qualify. [...]
The 24-month clock starts with the last of the tiered bonuses, not with the initial bonus (unless you don't earn anymore).

We're gonna need a bigger boatdata set.