FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1707643-archived-applying-chase-credit-cards-may-2015-jan-2017-a.html)

Jesusdyd4u Jun 30, 2015 10:42 am

Best Time to Apply for New Card

I'm considering applying for either the Chase Ink Plus or the CSP.

Maybe a crazy question...Is there a better chance of immediate online approval if you apply during regular working hours, or during non-regular working hours?

I have a Chase Freedom VISA Sig. opened 8 years and 827 FICO.

chongl Jun 30, 2015 11:01 am

Sounds like you should just apply. Unless you opened a lot of cards recently, you seem like the type that would easily be approved

RNE Jun 30, 2015 11:02 am

Originally Posted by The Suburbs (Post 25048726)
Results (in order of apps):

Chase Freedom - instant approval
Chase British Airways - instant approval
AMEX Plat - instant approval
AMEX EveryDay - instant approval
Citi TY Premier - instant approval

Congratulations. You've got a lot of minimum spend to meet. :eek:

The Suburbs Jun 30, 2015 11:17 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 25049177)
Congratulations. You've got a lot of minimum spend to meet. :eek:

Thanks! Was actually planning on delaying the AoR until 91 days after my last two apps, but the Freedom offer was ending and the Platinum offer (via snailmail) was expiring even sooner. It ended up working out well.

Amex Plat was 100k for 3k/3mo, so lower than the standard offer/spend. Luckily there's a promo going on right now in my area for $500 VGC that basically allows me to MS what I need to with a decent profit (before considering points earned on the MS). Also, I had some other decent sized purchases/expenses to help (new mattress, auto insurance).

I've learned a lot from FT and hope to be able to contribute some in the future!

Brugge Jun 30, 2015 11:19 am

Originally Posted by frudd38 (Post 25048968)
Auto approved for SW Premier
- 26 new accounts since 8/2013
- 6 with Chase, 3 of them closed
- First Personal Chase since 11/2014
- Turned down for SW Biz in 3/2015
- All Chase card limits lowered to $5k a few months ago

^ Great, things aren't as glum on the Chase Personal front as I had thought. Thanks for posting that.

frudd38 Jun 30, 2015 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38 (Post 25048968)
Auto approved for SW Premier
- 26 new accounts since 8/2013
- 6 with Chase, 3 of them closed
- First Personal Chase since 11/2014
- Turned down for SW Biz in 3/2015
- All Chase card limits lowered to $5k a few months ago

Originally Posted by Brugge (Post 25049263)
^ Great, things aren't as glum on the Chase Personal front as I had thought. Thanks for posting that.

To add to this, had 8 card AOR late 3/2015 and this approval was part of a 5 card AOR (not that it matters since Chase was applied first)

I still think the key is reduced limits and auto approval (similar to Barclay) for best chance and was thoroughly surprised it was auto approved because of the hefty AOR less than 3 months ago.

beltway Jun 30, 2015 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38 (Post 25049494)
I still think the key is reduced limits and auto approval (similar to Barclay) for best chance

Well, you're never going to win the oh-so-coveted Post of the Week Award that way.
:rolleyes:

takeshi74 Jun 30, 2015 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jesusdyd4u (Post 25049060)
Maybe a crazy question...Is there a better chance of immediate online approval if you apply during regular working hours, or during non-regular working hours?

Only if your credit would significantly change in that timeframe.

frudd38 Jun 30, 2015 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 25049793)
Well, you're never going to win the oh-so-coveted Post of the Week Award that way.

I don't follow but cool.

isle-hawg Jun 30, 2015 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 25045148)
I am putting on a conference later this year at a Hyatt property and thought i'd get the credit card to maximize points earning potential. So I applied for the Chase Hyatt card.....

Today, I get the decline letter with reasons given:
Too many credit accounts in relation to my income
They have already extended all of the credit that they can to me

I'm torn as to whether I want to ask for reconsideration. I've never been declined before, so I was kind of surprised.

Also, I could pull credit off the Marriott or Sapphire card and put it on the Hyatt card.

Why not just shift the credit?

javabytes Jun 30, 2015 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by chongl (Post 25049172)
Sounds like you should just apply. Unless you opened a lot of cards recently, you seem like the type that would easily be approved

+1, time of day doesn't matter. Just go ahead and apply.

cashcow Jun 30, 2015 8:00 pm

Data: Instant approval for Chase IHG card for $29,000. Two open Southwest cards and open Ritz Carlton. Lowered my credit limit on all 3 existing cards more than a month ago.
maybe a dozen inquiries in last 12 months.

Adding to my data point above: after my IHG instant approval, I got an Amex instant approval. Then decided what the heck for another Chase app, since the hp's will be merged.

Shockingly, was instantly approved for the 2nd card (BA 50k offer) with another $29k credit line...

iceton Jun 30, 2015 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by aza72 (Post 25031594)
Also, how many were in the past 1 month? It can day a billing cycle before a card appears, so chase may not know about them.

6 Chase cards, 3 Chase cards in the last 3 months... so they definitely know about them. 2 of them in the last week and a half. Both after calling reconsideration and shifting credit.

BESVISOR Jul 1, 2015 4:31 am

Originally Posted by italdesign (Post 25044643)
Agreed, esp since AF is now $125. I'll likely cancel my CSP this year as I don't see enough benefits to pay AF again (I kept it this year b/c I happened to be in the middle of a trip delay claim when AF came up).

CSP has excellent travel insurance coverage, but last I checked several other Chase cards offer the same benefits (or similar enough - the big one for me is coverage on award tickets, which only Chase cards provide).

I do hope TYP adds a few useful hotel partners.

Can you explain the coverage on award tickets? I looked through the T&C and didn't see it. Thanks!

RNE Jul 1, 2015 6:10 am

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 25049793)

Winner of the oh-so-coveted RNE's Pick for Post of the Week!

RNE, welcoming you as my first laureate to achieve "oh-so" status.