Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I have not applied for any cards in last two years as I was in the process of buying a house and refinancing. I applied for the chase sapphire reserve and got auto approved. I don't have any other cards with chase currently.

I'd love to get chase ink plus and a bunch of other cards.
Will this plan work? Can I be more aggressive?

Oct 2016: sapphire reserve (approved) with 29k limit
Oct 2016: Reduce CSR limit to 5k; apply for chase ink plus in branch (rental business, no EIN or bank a/c)
Jan 2017: Southwest personal
Jan 2017: Southwest biz
April 2017: United personal
April 2017: United Biz
Aug 2017: Fredom 5x
Aug 2017: Freedom Unlimited

Later next year get Hyatt, IHG, Fairmont as those cards aren't subjected to 5/24 but they are worth keeping long term
Old Oct 7, 2016, 10:56 am

Was in branch to care of some checking account maintenance with my wife when my banker said she was pre-approved for both Freedoms, the Sapphire Preferred and the Reserve, so I had her app for the Reserve. She's at 10/24. Banker said it immediately spit out a 7-10 day message.

I got home just now and called the automated line and it says 30 days. Any DP's where someone is approved after 7-10 message when prequaled?
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:01 pm

Went in to branch back in September to see if I was pre approved for the Sapphire Reserve but want approved for anything. Subsequently dropped my CL on my marriott card by $5000 and cancelled my ink plus. Went in today and was told that I was pre approved for all their cards. I'm currently 18/24 and had 3 chase cards at the time of application with an overall CL of 30% of annual income.

I asked for the Reserve and got a pending message. I'm just going to let it work it's way through the system and hope for the best.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I'm going into a branch tomorrow morning to see if I'm pre approved for CSP (already have CSR). I also have a referral I'd rather use (so spouse gets referral points). If approved in branch, should I apply right then, or does that basically carry over to any app (as in from referral link)?
Old Oct 8, 2016, 10:28 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I stopped by a branch in August shortly after CSR was released and was not pre approved. I was probably around 13/24 (I got tired of scrolling through my credit report so not sure and was declined when applying for two many accounts.)

Will Chase tell you when you will be out from under the 5/24 rule? I'd like to get the CSR and dump my Ritz Visa since the CSR has much better benefits at the same annual fee. Hoping it would happen before January '17 since that's when my Ritz card renews.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 10:30 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by mintcilantro
I have not applied for any cards in last two years as I was in the process of buying a house and refinancing. I applied for the chase sapphire reserve and got auto approved. I don't have any other cards with chase currently.

I'd love to get chase ink plus and a bunch of other cards.
Will this plan work? Can I be more aggressive?

Oct 2016: sapphire reserve (approved) with 29k limit
Oct 2016: Reduce CSR limit to 5k; apply for chase ink plus in branch (rental business, no EIN or bank a/c)
Jan 2017: Southwest personal
Jan 2017: Southwest biz
April 2017: United personal
April 2017: United Biz
Aug 2017: Fredom 5x
Aug 2017: Freedom Unlimited

Later next year get Hyatt, IHG, Fairmont as those cards aren't subjected to 5/24 but they are worth keeping long term
Rumor is that the 5x Freedom may be combining with the Freedom Unlimited and the 5x points bonuses going away. Might want to look for something else.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Rumor is that the 5x Freedom may be combining with the Freedom Unlimited and the 5x points bonuses going away. Might want to look for something else.
Hopefully the rumor is wrong.

Please don't tell me it came from D of C.

Freedom 5X is just about the only Chase spend I do now. Other than the occasional small spend I do on cards like the IHG just so Chase won't close it for inactivity. Really only want that for the "free" night certificate. Just canceled my Marriott when the AF came due. I only got that for the sign up bonus, as the ROI on spend is pathetic, and for my purposes that certificate is useless.

Other than the 5X Freedom, the only personal cards worth spending with are the Sapphires, and Chase won't give me either of those because of 5/24. Or I guess I should say 27/24 in my case.

Does Chase really want me to give all of our non-business spend to Citi and AMEX?
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Are you basing that on this thread:
(minus the last post) or something else?

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Hopefully the rumor is wrong.

Please don't tell me it came from D of C.
Assuming it's the same rumor as the above thread discussed (way back in June), not only did it not come from DoC (it came from a Chase Private Client banker), DoC's Chase source contradicted the rumor (see the last post in that short thread).

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 10, 2016 at 6:52 pm
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Are you basing that on this thread:
(minus the last post) or something else?

Assuming it's the same rumor as the above thread discussed (way back in June), not only did it not come from DoC (it came from a Chase Private Client banker), DoC's Chase source contradicted the rumor (see the last post in that short thread).
THANK YOU! These people talking bad about DoC when he actually is very very good with his sources and he is not biased...
Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
These people talking bad about DoC when he actually is very very good with his sources and he is not biased...
Wondering if you are talking about me? Because I certainly didn't mean to be critical of him. I said I hope it didn't come from DoC because the last few rumors from there turned out to be true. And I didn't want this one to turn out to be true.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:31 pm

Update to my previous DP: Despite being 18/24 and having 3 personal Chase cards, I was approved for the Chase Sapphire Reserve after applying in-branch, and letting it work its way through the system.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Effective Oct. 14 I will only have 3 new opened accounts in the last 24 months and 2 active AU accounts in the last 24. (I just requested to be removed as an AU on a 3rd Chase card and that was honored via SM). I was successful in having the rep remove the AU's for application purposes on a CSP app about a year ago but I understand there are many who have not had such luck. I've read almost every post on this thread and remember this being discussed but I can't find it via google or otherwise and don't remember the advice on the following topic: how long it takes Chase to remove the AU for purposes of 5/24 and how long to wait after 24 months from approval to be sure it is off their records before applying for a new Chase card. I've been holding off for a while in hopes of getting the Reserve. Advice or help pointing me to the correct posts would be much appreciated!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by aglasgow
Effective Oct. 14 I will only have 3 new opened accounts in the last 24 months and 2 active AU accounts in the last 24. (I just requested to be removed as an AU on a 3rd Chase card and that was honored via SM). I was successful in having the rep remove the AU's for application purposes on a CSP app about a year ago but I understand there are many who have not had such luck. I've read almost every post on this thread and remember this being discussed but I can't find it via google or otherwise and don't remember the advice on the following topic: how long it takes Chase to remove the AU for purposes of 5/24 and how long to wait after 24 months from approval to be sure it is off their records before applying for a new Chase card. I've been holding off for a while in hopes of getting the Reserve. Advice or help pointing me to the correct posts would be much appreciated!
First, info on this thread says that previous apps drop off at end of month, not on date of app (you need to wait till Nov 1). Second, your AU may still appear on your credit report. Since it is a Chase card, they may be willing to overlook it (esp since you've cancelled), but just closing an AU doesn't mean it disappears from your credit report.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
First, info on this thread says that previous apps drop off at end of month, not on date of app (you need to wait till Nov 1). Second, your AU may still appear on your credit report. Since it is a Chase card, they may be willing to overlook it (esp since you've cancelled), but just closing an AU doesn't mean it disappears from your credit report.
Thanks! ^ Any guesses to my chances for approval in November at 3 personal and 2 AU's with excellent credit and 2% utilization? I actually use my Chase cards, don't rinse and repeat every two years or MS other than the occasional gift card purchases at grocery and Office supply stores. If they pull and find 3 AU's without checking to see that one of them is a Chase card that has been cancelled, then I'll be auto denied for sure at 6/24 even though it would truly be 3/24 with 2 AU's. That - I really dread due to the extensive waits on pending Apps and my luck at finding a nice representative on recon if denied.

I'll be hoping for the best in November and will report back here for data point at conclusion.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by aglasgow
Thanks! ^ Any guesses to my chances for approval in November at 3 personal and 2 AU's with excellent credit and 2% utilization? I actually use my Chase cards, don't rinse and repeat every two years or MS other than the occasional gift card purchases at grocery and Office supply stores. If they pull and find 3 AU's without checking to see that one of them is a Chase card that has been cancelled, then I'll be auto denied for sure at 6/24 even though it would truly be 3/24 with 2 AU's. That - I really dread due to the extensive waits on pending Apps and my luck at finding a nice representative on recon if denied.

I'll be hoping for the best in November and will report back here for data point at conclusion.
My only suggestion to avoid the wait and recon is to go in branch to apply. I had planned to do that on a recent trip for CSP (no Chase branches near me) but ended up deciding to wait till Nov when one cc rolls off. That way I can use spouse's referral link.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.