Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by Geckotek
Called recon this AM and was approved. Pretty sure that put me at 6/24...but perhaps I just can't count (or they aren't counting the HP my CU did on a PC).

Anyway, now I need to determine the best way to maximize UR points with the FU and CS(R). I've only had the Barclay's Arrival+ so I've been able to be lazy and not think about maximizing points as everything was the same.
Bolded for emphasis.

5/24 isn't hard pulls, it's new accounts. So if your credit union pulled your report, but continued to report the credit line as the same account (regardless of a new/different physical card), I think you'd be fine, right?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Geckotek
Called recon this AM and was approved. Pretty sure that put me at 6/24...but perhaps I just can't count (or they aren't counting the HP my CU did on a PC).

Anyway, now I need to determine the best way to maximize UR points with the FU and CS(R). I've only had the Barclay's Arrival+ so I've been able to be lazy and not think about maximizing points as everything was the same.
Congrats!

There are threads in this forum, some pinned, that can help you figure out how to maximize your UR points.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by financialhippie
Bolded for emphasis.

5/24 isn't hard pulls, it's new accounts.
As the wiki explains,
Note also that the number of inquiries on a given credit reporting agency (or the total across all CRAs) is irrelevant.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
As the wiki explains,
Well, the number of inquiries is irrelevant to 5/24. (And that note is in the 5/24 section.)

However, it may not be irrelevant to Chase overall.

Someone at 2/24 but with 100 inquiries in the past 6 months is likely to be denied for "too many inquiries", no?

Yes, it's somewhat tricky to get to "too many inquiries" without crossing 5/24, but it's theoretically possible. Lots of failed applications, lots of business card applications, lots of applications too recently to show up on your credit report yet, whatever. (I don't know if 100 is a realistic number, but I just wanted an example that Chase would be quite likely to say is "too much".)
Old Aug 23, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
From reddit " Yesterday I saw a post that some banker said pre-approval invitation only comes every 6 months after a new card is opened."

I'm hoping Chase ink isn't considered here...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, the number of inquiries is irrelevant to 5/24. (And that note is in the 5/24 section.)
Correct.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:19 pm

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Ink Plus 100K

A friend just received his regular targeted Ink Plus offer in the mail, but this time it was for 100K instead of the usual 60K. Looks like the 5/24 pinch may finally be pinching back.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Ed Janowsky
A friend just received his regular targeted Ink Plus offer in the mail, but this time it was for 100K instead of the usual 60K. Looks like the 5/24 pinch may finally be pinching back.
Damn. Maybe I should open up a Chase checking account as that seems to help some people. Though I can't recall ever receiving an Ink Plus offer in the mail. I currently have an Ink Bold, never had the Plus. Also a Business Explorer.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Great to see but...I would not be celebrating yet. Or anytime soon for that matter #devaluationscoming
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:22 am

[moved to another thread]

Last edited by gnomey; Aug 24, 2016 at 1:43 am
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by sdsearch

However, it may not be irrelevant to Chase overall.

Someone at 2/24 but with 100 inquiries in the past 6 months is likely to be denied for "too many inquiries", no?

Yes, it's somewhat tricky to get to "too many inquiries" without crossing 5/24, but it's theoretically possible. Lots of failed applications, lots of business card applications, lots of applications too recently to show up on your credit report yet, whatever. (I don't know if 100 is a realistic number, but I just wanted an example that Chase would be quite likely to say is "too much".)
^ Yes, absolutely number of inquiries is important. I was trying to point out that 5/24 specifically is new accounts, not number of inquiries.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:49 am

Does your friend have a Chase business checking account? Any other ideas on how he may have been targeted?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Looks like the 5/24 pinch may finally be pinching back.
Very doubtful, more likely the points they saved over the last year are one of the main reasons for these higher point offers.

And in the CSR thread here and elsewhere it's a high percentage of new sign ups well under 5/24.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I'll reiterate the desire of others to better understand your friend's circumstances. I plan to ditch my lame Spark card for an Ink Plus, but an extra 40k UR would be really sweet.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by nrwheat
So I am sure the answer to this question is somewhere in this 307 page thread but I tried a keyword search and was not able to find the answer (so please do not berate me if this question has already been answered because I tried )

I was just denied for the Chase Hyatt and the letter I received was for

"too many requests for credit orr opened accounts with us"

Now I have received the 5/24 denial letter and that one specifically states "in the last 24 months. This one has distinctly different verbiage and I wanted to know if anyone else has gotten this/has a scoop on what it could mean.

Just FYI I currently hold a CSP, both Southwest plus and premier, an IHG, and (unfortunately) the Amazon card through chase.
I'd like to discuss this further as well. I don't personally have experience with this, but have read more recent reports of people being turned down for cards not subject to 5/24 for too many inquiries. I was considering applying for another Chase card that was not subject to 5/24, but now I'm kind of nervous to do so since it seems like they are clamping down. Anyone else have any recent data points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.