Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2016, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by ttsai
Forgot that business cards don't report on my credit report. But since Chase know I have Ink employee card, does that mean it applies to 5/24 rule?
Given that Chase includes AU cards on personal accounts in its 5/24, I'm inclined to believe that Chase biz AUs do as well. That said, I don't recall seeing any data points on this precise issue.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by gpapadop
With Accor buying Fairmont, the future of this card is very cloudy...so, if you know what you are doing and want to experience two free nights in a nice Fiarmont, I would probably move it up on the target list.
I wanted to use them in December. Think that's too long to wait?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:18 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by beltway
Otherwise, 2 free Hyatt nights for $1K spend (vs $3K for Fairmont) seems like a better ROI.
What stops anyone from doing both? If $2k spend is a problem, maybe they should not be in this hobby @:-)
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
What stops anyone from doing both? If $2k spend is a problem, maybe they should not be in this hobby @:-)
Anyone who doesn't MS has a finite amount of spend to spread around. So it's not a question of being unable to generate $2K spend, but--as I already said--a question of ROI.

But yeah, if you have enough spend (& hard pulls) to spare, do both if want. Because YMMV.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 8:40 am

Max "Combined" Credit Line Offered by Chase on All Its Credit Cards

What is the Maximum "Combined" Credit Line Offered by Chase on All Its Credit Cards, as a % of salary?

Last edited by edealinfo12345; Jul 31, 2016 at 9:08 am
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
What is the Maximum "Combined" Credit Line Offered by Chase on All Its Credit Cards, as a % of salary?
I think it depends very much on other relationships you have with Chase (checking, mortgages) and the length of the relationship.

For awhile I was at 40% with personal, 65% including business. Now it's more like 70/90.

They will also sometimes approve a card at a $5000 line even if you are maxed out.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by highops
I think it depends very much on other relationships you have with Chase (checking, mortgages) and the length of the relationship.

For awhile I was at 40% with personal, 65% including business. Now it's more like 70/90.

They will also sometimes approve a card at a $5000 line even if you are maxed out.
I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a standard percentage of income. For one thing, Chase undoubtedly looks at the credit lines you have with other card issuers.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: Far too many
Chase Private Client

Is it too early to say something definite about whether Chase Private Client status trumps 5/24?

I have read many pages of FT discussion, and do not see a clear answer emerging.

My SO, a private client vastly over 5/24, applied a week ago in-branch for a Sapphire Preferred. It is still pending...
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Data point

Rejected letter recived in 6 days 4 business days, called in, rep removed the cards of dw which i am an authorized user and i was recommended for approval, I'll find out in another 5-7 days...its kinda frustrating as ive got two big insurance premium bills due in the next week.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:15 pm

5/24 Data Point -- Instant Approval!

Applied for Chase Sapphire Preferred and was instantly approved with a $34k credit line. The card has a 50k bonus + 5k for AU for a $4k spend in 90 days.

Summary:
1. If they counted primary personal and primary business, I'm at 8, so they don't seem to count business.

2. If they counted primary personal and authorized user, I'm at 7, so they don't seem to count AU anymore.

When my wife applied for her Sapphire in January, I had to call recon and explain that several of the cards listed on her CR were merely AU cards. When those were taken out of the picture, she was at 4. They said they'd look into it and they did ultimately approve her.

Here is the list of cards that I've gotten during the last 24 months, and their descriptions:

Primary, personal:
- Amex (opened 12/29/15)
- CHASE UA Explorer Visa (opened 11/12/15)
- Citi AA MC (opened 11/12/15)

Primary, business:
- Amex (opened 6/1/16)
- CHASE Marriott Visa (opened 3/24/15)
- Amex (opened 2/8/15), now closed.
- Citi AA MC ending (opened 1/1/15), now closed
- CHASE Ink Plus card (opened 12/15/14), switched to Ink Cash

Auth user on wife's acct:
- CHASE SAPPHIRE Visa (opened 1/7/16)
- CHASE BA Visa (opened 2/8/15)
- Citi AA MC (opened 1/7/15), now closed
- Citi AA MC (opened 10/25/14) now closed
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:24 pm

They may still be counting Chase business cards. You had 3 personal cards + 2 Chase business cards opened in the last 24 months = 5 in total. Thanks for the data point.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v
They may still be counting Chase business cards. You had 3 personal cards + 2 Chase business cards opened in the last 24 months = 5 in total. Thanks for the data point.
Why are you counting only the Chase business cards? I thought all cards of all issuers were counted. If that's the case, then I had 3 personal + 5 business.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Long Islander
Why are you counting only the Chase business cards? I thought all cards of all issuers were counted. If that's the case, then I had 3 personal + 5 business.
Most banks don't report business cards to personal credit bureaus. That means that Chase doesn't know that these accounts exist, unless issued by Chase.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why are you counting only the Chase business cards? I thought all cards of all issuers were counted.
Because of how Chase counts. They count all the cards that show on your credit report with "opened on" dates in the past 24 months. Then, since your credit report doesn't include business cards (in good standing), they add to that any Chase business cards opened in the last 24 months (since they can see those without going to your credit report).

Check your credit report and you should see only the personal cards.

We previously knew that exactly 5 (your 3 personal + your 2 Chase business) is sometimes approved and sometimes denied. So it's not surprising if you were approved at exactly 5. (All reports of people with 4 or less are approved -- if not denied for some unrelated reason, of course -- and all reports of people with truly 6 or more are denied.)

2. If they counted primary personal and authorized user, I'm at 7, so they don't seem to count AU anymore.
You were instantly approved. Whether they count AUs might be different depending on whether the computer counts or a human counts. So I'm not sure you can assume they don't seem to count AU anymore at all, just that they don't seem to count them for instant approvals (for which I don't know the history of AU's counting or not).

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 2, 2016 at 4:29 pm
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:53 pm

I see -- the counting methodology is more complicated than I had realized. I was planning on applying for a Marriott personal card a month from now. Assuming they're using the 5/24 rule for MR personal, I'm sunk, based on your analysis. I suppose, if I'm denied, I can wait until 12/15/16 for one of my Chase business cards to drop off the list.

Thanks for the explanation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.