Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I'm at 5/24, including a Chase Ink and an authorized user on spouse's Amex Plat. Any recent data points on getting AU cards off the count?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Does the preemptively reducing the credit limit on Chase cards really work?

Wouldn't reducing the available credit hit your FICO?
As for Chase, it depends on your TCCL. If it's high, say $60K, that will most likely greatly reduce your chances of getting auto approvals. On the other hand, if you have a 6 figure income, and a TCCL of $20K, it probably won't make any difference at all.

As for the question about your FICO, if you are going to carry a large balance month to month, yes, it will lower your score.

If you are going to pay off your charges before they even post, no, it won't hurt your score.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I thought it was the credit limit itself that affected your score, because they're like lines of credit?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I'm at 5/24, including a Chase Ink and an authorized user on spouse's Amex Plat. Any recent data points on getting AU cards off the count?
If you have a good credit history with Chase, you can still get approved for Chase cards at 5/24. It's 6/24 that's an auto denial.

If you don't have a long enough Chase credit history, you may get turned down at 5/24. But most likely if you do, you can call Recon and get the AU account disregarded. You may have to HUCA, or you may get lucky and get approved on the first call.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Data point confirming what we already know:

Wife applied for UA Explorer Personal on 6/4. Rejection citing too many cards opened over last two years received yesterday. She had 3 cards as the primary applicant over the last two years, with 6 additional authorized user accounts showing up on her credit report. I thought I would be helping her get more cards by adding her as an authorized user on my accounts - so much for that theory...
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by lonelycrowd
Data point confirming what we already know:

Wife applied for UA Explorer Personal on 6/4. Rejection citing too many cards opened over last two years received yesterday. She had 3 cards as the primary applicant over the last two years, with 6 additional authorized user accounts showing up on her credit report. I thought I would be helping her get more cards by adding her as an authorized user on my accounts - so much for that theory...
So have you called Recon and requested they ignore the AU cards for purposes of the app? Not everyone has had success with that, but quite a few have...
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by epaairnow
Same boat for me...over 5/24 but with no Chase history...received snail mail 70k flyer and applied yesterday...got the 7-10 day pending message. Not holding out much hope.
Denial Letter received Friday. Oh well---worth taking the risk for 70k miles. Sticking with Citi going forward until their mailers run out.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by epaairnow
Denial Letter received Friday. Oh well---worth taking the risk for 70k miles. Sticking with Citi going forward until their mailers run out.
...and same for me as well. I was right at 5/24, but was declined for the Ink Plus and for the United MPE (even though I had a targeted mailer). Boo. I did get approved for the IHG Rewards card.
--Kyle
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, AA, Delta, Southwest CP, Citi Prestige, MLife Platinum
I always closed cards and/or reduced credit lines before applying for a new Chase card, and it always seems to help. I get keeping the same total credit line afterwards, so I think it saves having to call and move credit around. I have never seen any negative affect of doing this on my credit score.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Has anyone applied recently and they told you they'd approve if you move the credit lines?

Or do you have to call the recon line and agree to move the credit around?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:09 pm

I received a denial letter today, for United Card, due to number of credit cards opened last 2 years, called and moved credit line, from one of my other chase cards and I was approved.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:12 pm

So, at the beginning on the year (March) I applied for a received the CSP card, did my min. got my points, then in April I applied for and received the Freedom. The next day, I applies for and was denied the Freedom Unlimited, siting that I didn't have enough credit history with Chase. I previously was a non Credit Card Used (I had them, pd them off and hadn't had a balance reported in a while). So I have been not paying off until statement posts for the past couple of months.

At what point do you think I could reapply. I had called the reconsideration line and the woman actually said she would push it through but then a week later I got the official denial form... so who know about that.

Can I call again or is there a time limit on reconsideration of an app?

I would really like to get those UR points as soon as possible as I am planning a trip to Ireland for my mom in May of next year and figure I better get the ball going on finding IE awards seats with Avios. I have enough for the flights in economy for both of us round trip but I really wanted to have out US to Dub flight be in business as we plan on hitting the ground running in Dublin as soon as we land (and with her age, it would be more comfortable for her to rest). Of course I'd have enough if not for the recent AVIOS devaluation but that is neither here nor there.

My credit is good (around 750 +/-10) and I only have 3/24 (4/24 if you count the Unlimited rejection).

Any advice?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:11 pm
Suspended

How long is your credit history? When I was denied for the second Chase card I wanted back in December, multiple reps told me they wanted to see at least 6 months of Chase history.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
After reading through this thread, I deliberated whether I should lower any of my existing credit limits before applying or just go ahead and apply for the Freedom Unlimited without changing anything first. My existing credit lines across all of my personal Chase cards is just under $100,000, but I have a pretty decent annual income and a FICO in the low 800's to go with it, so I decided to leave everything alone.

May 24: Applied online for Freedom Unlimited. Received the "7-10 days" message.
May 27: Called the automated application status line and still had the "7-10 days" message.
June 3: Called the automated application status line and got the "30 days" message.
June 10: Called the automated application status line and still got the "30 days" message.
June 13: Logged in to my Chase online account and saw my new Freedom Unlimited card listed with a $20,000 limit.

I'm not sure if things would have proceeded quicker if I had reduced my existing credit lines before applying or if Chase is simply overwhelmed with applications, leading to a slower approval process, but at least I finally got approved. This card puts me at 5/24, which is alright with me because the Freedom Unlimited was the last Chase card I really wanted.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973
How long is your credit history? When I was denied for the second Chase card I wanted back in December, multiple reps told me they wanted to see at least 6 months of Chase history.
My overall credit history is pretty long. Chase, not so much, like 3 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.