Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:54 am
formerly mattrendell27

Originally Posted by Troopers
Why were you denied for the CSP? Do you have a banking relationship w Chase?

I was denied under 5/24. I got excited when I saw the bonus jump to 50k and stupidly applied know there wasn't much chance.

Yes I have a chase checking account that I've been using regularly for about a year now.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I'm in a similar situation and wish I'd applied for CSP before Citi Prestige last November. Kicking myself now. I'm sitting on 6/24 but one is an AU that I suspect I could get removed. Without that Citi, I'd be at 4. GAH! I wish the count was >5 in 24. But with 5+, I'm screwed. Now I must refrain from any apps until June, when 2 will fall off. I read somewhere that CSP 50k ends March 1, but I can't remember where I read it.
It seems like it's about 50/50 on people with exactly 5 cards. Get the 6th card removed and give it a shot.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I'm going to assume you have not read/comprehended the wiki and the recent pages of this thread. If you have, the following may be irrelevant, but based on what you posted I have no way of knowing.

So you don't have any Chase cards yet. Have you had more than 5 new cc accounts opened in the past 24 months? If not, you shouldn't be applying for the UA card just yet, since you can get that later. You should be applying for a CSP first, and soon afterwards a Freedom card. The UA can be applied for sometime in the near future, but once you have opened 5 new accounts in the past 24 months the CSP will be totally unavailable to you. Most likely forever.

Right now the CSP has a 50K sign up bonus with a 5K extra bonus for adding an AU. Way too good to pass up. If this isn't totally clear to you, PM me.
Just to really spell it out for the OP... Those 50k or 55k Ultimate Rewards points you get with the CSP signup can be transferred immediately to United or Southwest so there aren't many reasons to go for the airline cards over the CSP (a few reasons could be free bag and guaranteed award availability with United card and possibly different spend requirements for the various cards).
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:28 pm

To remove an AU card, do you just call and ask to remove it? And it immediately drops off your credit file? I'd like to keep my Amex AU cards for Small Biz Saturday.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by aza72
It seems like it's about 50/50 on people with exactly 5 cards. Get the 6th card removed and give it a shot.
Do you mean close the AU card and ask it to be removed from my credit report or do you mean just ask Chase to remove the AU from their consideration? I don't want to close it b/c it's an Amex Plat and I get benefits.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 5:45 pm
Suspended

He means to have it deleted from your credit report.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
AFAIK, but I'm far from certain, Chase Recon calls shouldn't produce any more HPs. B of A will do another HP, that's why everyone advises to make the Recon call the same day as the app. But my best guess is that Chase will work off the one they've already done. YMMV though, as a couple of months ago one could get a CSP with more than 5/24, right up until the day you couldn't anymore. So these types of answers tend to be retrospective anyway.
Contrary to my experience albeit not current data but early last year it did produce another HP from a Chase recon call AND the rep did not mention anything about another HP but he did. The reason I knew, the 2nd HP was on the day of calling recon which was 2 days later after application.

Also Citi did this to a friend last year.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ss2000
It's not on my credit report and I paid off the collection agency. I have a biz account with chase and a personal account. I have had it for years. Most of my cash is in my biz account though. I also was prequalified (whatever that really means) for Chase Freedom.
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
So far as I know, if you paid them off, then you at least have a chance to rebuild your credit relationship with them.
Key words.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 3:23 am

I got 7 cards in the past 24 months. If I wait until the end of this year the number will be down to 3. And in the summer 2017 it'll be down to 0.

I'm not exactly sure what to do, but it's unfortunate that the Citi Premier went down to 40k and it's really pushing me to sign up before the 50k links are gone.
My original plan was to wait and get the CSP + Ink Plus (already have an Ink Cash + Freedom) at the end of this year, but I guess the Ink Plus is going to be restricted as well.

So I'm thinking of getting the Citi Premier + Ink Plus now. I'll have buffer room to get 1 other card and then in summer 2017 I would be able to apply for the CSP.
Does this sound like the right approach? I could also wait until 2017 as well to get the Ink Plus in hopes that they have a better signup offer than the current 60k (although I doubt it).
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:41 am

Update: 3 1/2 weeks after application the auto message has changed from "we will notify you in two weeks" to "we will notify you in 7-10 days". Based on others' experience I should expect a denial letter in the mail shortly, correct?

QUOTE=DnvTrvlr;26088784]Applied for the SW Premier personal and business cards on January 6th. Personal card instantly approved with 32K limit. Got the "application is being reviewed, will let you know in 2 weeks" message on the business card. Have reduced the limit on the personal card to 10K via SM. Still waiting on the business card 3 weeks later.

Will the auto message eventually change, or will I just get a rejection letter or a shiny new business card in the mail without any other notice? Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:50 am
rev

Just applied for the Chase United biz after a 6 month hiatus of CC apps with any bank, and I don't remember exactly what the next screen said, but it was along the lines of 'please contact chase immediately regarding your application'. However, my email said I'll receive a decision in the mail within 30 days. Does the 'immediately call' dialogue really just mean pending? Or when it's actually pending it shows a different dialogue that will actually say pending? I'd prefer to wait it out without calling, but I'm confused with these conflicting messages from Chase.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by jsk1973

A business traveler with a 7-figure income is worried about getting a $25 baggage fee waived?
Umm, yeah.

Twenty-five bucks is twenty-five bucks. I am neither a corp executive, nor a business traveler, but I don't want to pay at the counter if I can avoid it.

A family traveling a few times per year, this can easily top a grand. The traveler may make a nice living, but he works for it.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 7:57 am

so there aren't too many data points on this - is Ink Plus churnable without the 24 months language, or not?
Opened mine in May'14. If I have to wait for 24 months, then the 5/24 rule will kick in, and I will be denied anyway. I guess there is no harm in trying, I don't seem to have anything to lose.

Last edited by stevento; Jan 30, 2016 at 8:07 am
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by stevento
so there aren't too many data points on this - is this card churnable without the 24 months language, or not?
Opened mine in May'14. If I have to wait for 24 months, then the 5/24 rule will kick in, and I will be denied anyway. I guess there is no harm in trying, I don't seem to have anything to lose.
You don't specify what card that you are talking about but if you apply for a Chase card less than than 24 months after you received a bonus for the same card, you may be approved, but you won't receive any bonus.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Irish80
You don't specify what card that you are talking about but if you apply for a Chase card less than than 24 months after you received a bonus for the same card, you may be approved, but you won't receive any bonus.
apologies, I thought it was Ink Plus thread.
the new app does not contain the 24 months language.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.