Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Brugge
Store cards often don't report to CBs, so that is the most likely reason. Of course, we haven't seen the Chase memo to Recon, so maybe they only consider true "credit" cards, and don't even care about store cards.

You should be fine, as the new rule is 5 ccs and you only have 4, and if necessary could probably get the AU discounted anyway. Good Luck !
The CSR for my Freedom denial recon call specifically mentioned 12 accounts "excluding store cards"
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:12 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
They are cracking down on obvious churners, even the T&C says they can close accounts "by repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit cards accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards".

Last edited by mhdena; Jun 15, 2015 at 12:54 am
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
They are cracking down on obvious churners, even the T&C says they can close accounts "by repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit cards accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards".
I suppose it's a matter of perspective, but 5 new cards in 24 months seems to me a rather low threshold. Anyone opening accounts at that rate is doing only artisanal small-batch locally-sourced churning.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:02 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by beltway
I suppose it's a matter of perspective, but 5 new cards in 24 months seems to me a rather low threshold. Anyone opening accounts at that rate is doing only artisanal small-batch locally-sourced churning.
If 5 cards is the "limit" then consider a person who opens 6 cards in 24 months. That's one card every 4 months which is the typical 3-4 month meet minimum speed requirement. Like you said it's a low threshold, but chances are this person is looking for sign-up bonuses more than long-term loyalty. From a business perspective all of them are bad. The typical American may open maybe 1 or 2 cards a year and not more than that and these are the people they want as customers.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by teammjs
You applied in mid-May before all hell broke lose

That's how you lucked out. If you applied this week, it's sounding like you would have been hosed based on most of what we're hearing from actual applicants so far.
Wow, I think I got it just under the wire . My app date was 5/19, right around the time when this new policy is first mentioned in this thread.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 6:52 am

Chase 5 card/24 month rule - any approvals since June despite?

Chase reportedly started a new rule at the beginning of June 2015 by which you will no longer be approved for Freedom, Slate, Sapphire or Ink cards if you have taken out 5 credit cards (excluding department store cards) from any bank (chase, citi, amex, Barclays, other) in the last 24 months. Included in the 5 card count are cards on which you are an authorized user on others accounts and reportedly Chase business accounts.

Does anybody want to share experience of being approved since the beginning of June for a freedom, slate, sapphire or ink despite the reported 5 card/24 month rule.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by beltway
Anyone opening accounts at that rate is doing only artisanal small-batch locally-sourced churning.
LOL, that's exactly what I do! I am an artisan of churning, not an industrial conglomerate.

Originally Posted by knowledgeispower
From a business perspective all of them are bad. The typical American may open maybe 1 or 2 cards a year and not more than that and these are the people they want as customers.
Yes and no. Imagine a youngster a few years after getting her first good job after college, who has a few credit cards and an excellent credit history, and is being sent offer after offer for zillions of bonus points for opening every card imaginable. So she decides to try them all out to see which one fits the best. Because she likes the CSP best, she decides to open a Freedom because it really complements the CSP well. But when she applies, she's told "no, too many new cards." Disgusted at Chase's insult (after all, all the other banks are still fawning all over her with incessant mail offers), she cancels all her Chase cards and keeps only the Citi cards - rather than doing the opposite, which is what she had planned to do. Chase has lost a good customer for a long time, if not life.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mileshound
It does intrigue me why the lack of traction on this in the blogosphere. These apps are getting denied and not just approved and denied the bonus. It does the affiliates no good for people to apply and get denied.
I think they are still trying to come up with a spin that would preserve their affiliate income (which probably dropped), but the reality is too ugly.

I wonder if there is an affiliate blogger equivalent of this thread. You can imagine the discussion they're having.

"Please tell me this is just a temporary nightmare that will go away next week. All the templates and calendar reminders and carefully chosen brainwashing words I made for Chase card pimping..."

"You mean I have to state that only 4 new accts in 2 years are allowed, on my 3 beloved CSP pimping pages per day? Oh lord..."

This would possibly make the best Hitler video.

Last edited by italdesign; Jun 15, 2015 at 7:09 am
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:09 am

I wonder how bow-tie guy feels now about promoting the heck out of how you can get 5 Alaska Airline cards in 1 day -- that little endeavor just made him (and others that followed his example) ineligible for any new freedom, slate, sapphire or ink cards.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by todd140
I wonder how bow-tie guy feels now about promoting the heck out of how you can get 5 Alaska Airline cards in 1 day -- that little endeavor just made him (and others that followed his example) ineligible for any new freedom, slate, sapphire or ink cards.
If he actually did what he promoted, which was funny when I learned most of them didn't (they didn't apply for the cards they promoted heavily, even though it's clear from the pimping that they think each one is extremely worthy).

And really, you think a high roller like him cares about a couple of sign up bonuses? Not compared to the affiliate income he is getting. Certainly not Gary who has multi-million point balances and earns more than he can spend.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by italdesign
And really, you think a high roller like him cares about a couple of sign up bonuses? Not compared to the affiliate income he is getting.
This! LOL
Old Jun 15, 2015, 8:31 am

I could believe it. I am glad I got the IHG card last month. I was wondering why My chase local bank associate was not in the mood to talk to me this past week. Less cards = Less referrals
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by teammjs
Wondering if Chase has a gag order on them talking about internal policy as terms of their affiliate agreement. IIRC, wasn't it Chase that made them scrub their blogs for any reference to recon numbers a year or so ago?
Gary strongly denies that, but more to the point, he had 2 posts on the new Chase policy yesterday. The first could have been more hard hitting, and commentators complained about that, but it did cover the subject. Amusingly, the second one tried to 'make a silk purse out of a pigs ear' by suggesting this is a reason to apply for a CSP first.

Yes, I said that too, but I thought it was transparent he was trying to use the new policy to push one of his best affiliate links. Still he is writing about it, whereas Lucky and MP haven't mentioned it at all.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
The other has decent credit, uses an Amex Plat card exclusively, and decided to try branching out to other points programs. She has one credit card only....who could sell Florida swampland to Donald Trump, and is literally the most persistent person I have ever known, was unable to get her card approved with 2 or 3 recon calls. She got an instant approval for an SPG the same day.
Originally Posted by Happy
Had the Vet had even one or better two credit cards in her credit history, she would have a much easier time to get approval. This is because the system to determine one's ability to pay is so skewed to the point that in some situations it is totally dysfunctional. For example, people who are very financially responsible, pay off their mortgages very early and always buy their cars with cash, they are penalized by not having "a variety of credits so to demonstrate the ability to manage payment." (para-phrased the reason why said person's FICO is negatively affected.)

How could a person has no personal debt, with a paid for house and cars and decent income, would be determined less credit-worthy (by way of the FICO score) than a person who has 300K mortgage, 50K car loan and similar income? But that seems the way the banksters' models work... .
True enough, and every time I see my CR, it notes my down point is the lack of "installment loans and different types of credit", since my house is fully paid off, I don't have any loans, I am not paying for anything on time, and my CU is <1%. Still, Citi tells me my EQ rating is 830. So I don't think this explains the above. Remember, they both have already been approved for an AMEX PLAT, and the second person was instantly approved for a SPG right after being denied by Chase.

Originally Posted by knowledgeispower
If 5 cards is the "limit" then consider a person who opens 6 cards in 24 months. That's one card every 4 months which is the typical 3-4 month meet minimum speed requirement. Like you said it's a low threshold, but chances are this person is looking for sign-up bonuses more than long-term loyalty. From a business perspective all of them are bad. The typical American may open maybe 1 or 2 cards a year and not more than that and these are the people they want as customers.
That would make sense, but that's not what Chase is doing. Look again at my previous post about the comment on VFTW. The OP had a CSP open for 12 years, during which he spent $30K to $40K a year. He had 5 or 6 cards open, (AA and US Air) but hadn't opened anything for at least a year. Hardly the definition of a churner. Yet Chase denied him for a measly Freedom card. This is not just in Happy's word "dysfunctional", this is utterly insane. Refusing to give a simple no fee card, with a very small sign up bonus, to a customer who has spend nearly half a Million $ with you over more than a decade? This symbol doesn't begin to do justice to the insanity of that.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 9:42 am
RNE

Those challenging me to take a dose of my own medicine are justified in demanding that. And I shall. When it's time. But I'm not sure I'm your best case study.

AMEX:
Delta card, last year.

BARCLAY
Wyndham Rewards this year. Last year, got the US Airways (now Aviator) card.

CHASE
In April, I got the IHG card. From prior years, I already had Slate, Freedom, United Explorer, United Presidential Plus, Marriott and Ink. The only other card I want is Hyatt and I'm waiting for a better sign-up bonus before applying for it. So, you'll have to wait to delight in the failure you're so sure will befall my application.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.