Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For ongoing discussion and the current/updated wiki, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward. For the archived predecessor thread, see Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015
Print Wikipost

Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:24 am

Applied back in June 2015 for CSP and was denied because of 5/24 rule. I currently have 4 individual accounts open and am an AU on husbands' 3 chase cards (CSP, Freedom, mileageplus). I'm considering calling Chase and having them remove me as an AU on the 3 cards (and asking for them to report the subsequent listing on my credit report), and then reapplying for CSP. Thoughts? Learned my lesson about using real names on AU cards...
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by jsk1973
I'd only apply for the MileagePlus if you don't mind risking a Hyatt denial. As I learned the hard way last month and have had no success in fixing, a second Chase app might get processed before one's first Chase app. Now, as a result, I have 100 nights at IHG coming up but I won't have an IHG card to use, which means, between the CC points and the extra Plat bonus points, I'll lose about 7 points per dollar spent for the first 40-plus nights. (Ouch.)
That sounds like a literal nightmare, thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by expatinAMS
Applied back in June 2015 for CSP and was denied because of 5/24 rule. I currently have 4 individual accounts open and am an AU on husbands' 3 chase cards (CSP, Freedom, mileageplus). I'm considering calling Chase and having them remove me as an AU on the 3 cards (and asking for them to report the subsequent listing on my credit report), and then reapplying for CSP. Thoughts? Learned my lesson about using real names on AU cards...
Afaik, even if you remove AU status from those 3 cards, they still show up as closed accounts on your credit report, so they still count against you in regards to the 5/24 rule
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:02 pm
Suspended

That's right, but they're easily removed from credit reports by calling each CRA and asking to have them deleted.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Don't bother. But read this thread Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015-Present. As long as you have more than 5 inquiries in the last 24 months you won't get approved. Sorry it's not what you want to hear but Chase is Chase. They changed the rules 5/2015.
This also should be in this thread because it's not new.
It's new cards, not inquiries.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
It's new cards, not inquiries.
Essentially, they check the "new accounts" opened in past 24 months being reported on your credit report ..correct ?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:41 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Originally Posted by coolblues
Essentially, they check the "new accounts" opened in past 24 months being reported on your credit report ..correct ?
Yes
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wiki is worth your time to read and understand

As a friendly reminder to those newcomers, please read the Wiki and understand it.

99% of the questions asked in the past several months can all find the answers in the Wiki.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SW Companion
SW Cards

Data Point

I applied, via a phone referral and online referral, for the personal SW plus and premier cards on January 4th. Phone app for plus was immediately approved for 30K limit. The premier online app received the "call us immediately to verify info" message and was pending review. I periodically called the auto line throughout the past few weeks and received the "we'll notify you in writing in two weeks" message. Today, the personal premier is showing up on my chase accounts with a 5K limit. I have been approved for both.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:46 am
formerly mattrendell27

Ink application advice

So I wanna apply for an Ink soon considering Doc's article about 5/24 applying to Ink starting in March. Problem is I was denied for CSP two months ago and I know about that little check box on business apps asking if you've been denied by Chase in the past 6 months.

I am wondering if I should apply in branch for the first year annual fee waived or just apply online with AF waiver? Do you guys think that it would be harder in branch because the banker would see that I had been denied two months ago?

And also should I wait another month so it's been 90+ days since last inquiry? Or is that only relevant if you have approved apps (I don't have any other inquires in the past 90 days).

Thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: US, AA, AM, BA, HH, SPG, PC, Carlson, Marriott, Choice
Originally Posted by jsk1973
That's right, but they're easily removed from credit reports by calling each CRA and asking to have them deleted.
Originally Posted by elementofice
Afaik, even if you remove AU status from those 3 cards, they still show up as closed accounts on your credit report, so they still count against you in regards to the 5/24 rule
I, as well as others in this thread, have reported success in having Chase remove the AU accounts for the purpose of approving the card appliation after receiving the expected denial letter in the mail. YMMV
Old Jan 26, 2016, 12:31 pm

Data Point

I opened a business checking account with Chase and got an Ink Cash in October. In January I applied and was approved online for an Arrival+ and a week later the CSP and Freedom within two days of each other. About a week later I went to a branch and applied for the Ink Plus and was told I was approved but later received a letter saying I was denied for "too many requests for credit or open accounts with us."

I called customer service and they said too many cards opened within a short period and to wait 30 days.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: WN, Chase UR, IHG, SPG, Hyatt, HHonors
Data Point

I got the "please call us..." etc. message for the Ink Plus card after applying and, despite having been warned here and around the internet never to call Chase, I decided to go ahead and call, like a real noob. It's because they said to "please call us"! Lesson learned, because they denied me after an interrogation. Even though I have a legitimate business and I was able to report my revenue and profits. I guess my worry was that my application wouldn't be approved if I didn't call... but patience is a virtue. I had also gotten the same "please call us" message when I applied for my Southwest business card exactly one year ago. Not only did Chase approve me for that card as soon as I called, they overnighted the new Business card to me for free so I could buy some plane tickets with it.

Clearly, things have changed at Chase. The rep mentioned that having the Southwest business card made a second business card seem unnecessary. I am wondering if I should call recon and offer to shift credit from the SW biz card, or offer to close that card, in order to make room for the Ink Plus (the AF is coming anyway, though I won't mention that). Or if I should just reapply for Ink Plus in 30 days online, but be more patient and not call? Want to try to get Ink Plus before a hard 5/24 rule comes into play... but maybe it is too late
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by jonibonez
I got the "please call us..." etc. message for the Ink Plus card after applying and, despite having been warned here and around the internet never to call Chase, I decided to go ahead and call, like a real noob. It's because they said to "please call us"! Lesson learned, because they denied me after an interrogation. Even though I have a legitimate business and I was able to report my revenue and profits. I guess my worry was that my application wouldn't be approved if I didn't call... but patience is a virtue. I had also gotten the same "please call us" message when I applied for my Southwest business card exactly one year ago. Not only did Chase approve me for that card as soon as I called, they overnighted the new Business card to me for free so I could buy some plane tickets with it.

Clearly, things have changed at Chase. The rep mentioned that having the Southwest business card made a second business card seem unnecessary. I am wondering if I should call recon and offer to shift credit from the SW biz card, or offer to close that card, in order to make room for the Ink Plus (the AF is coming anyway, though I won't mention that). Or if I should just reapply for Ink Plus in 30 days online, but be more patient and not call? Want to try to get Ink Plus before a hard 5/24 rule comes into play... but maybe it is too late
If you're going to reapply in, say, 30 days, I'd recommend closing your SW biz card, prior to reapplying. There's no golden answer here but using open accounts as "negotiating leverage" seems to be less fruitful than it was in the past. Having lower credit line total, and maybe less accounts with Chase, seems to be preferred.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by jonibonez
I am wondering if I should call recon and offer to shift credit from the SW biz card, or offer to close that card, in order to make room for the Ink Plus (the AF is coming anyway, though I won't mention that).
I'd try calling recon. Odds are probably against you, but it's a free call .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.