FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Archived: Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015- Jan 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1707643-archived-applying-chase-credit-cards-may-2015-jan-2017-a.html)

RNE Jun 8, 2015 10:29 am

Originally Posted by blaz (Post 24932653)
Someone over on the MyFico forum mentioned that during a recent recon call the CSR commended them on the fact that they have not closed any cards in the past 2 years. This got me thinking - what if the rule is not too many OPEN cards in 2 years, instead it is too many CLOSED cards? It makes perfect sense if you think about it. What differentiates a churner from a non-churner is that the churner closes the card when the annual fee hits. What do you think?

It's some of that but more an issue of how much you are using the cards you have. Obviously, closing a card make it difficult to use. ;)

Brugge Jun 8, 2015 11:14 am

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 24937153)
It's some of that but more an issue of how much you are using the cards you have. Obviously, closing a card make it difficult to use. ;)

That comment is SO April 2015... :rolleyes:

Then again, if you are currently piloting a Martian lunar ferry, and don't have wifi, here is the latest news:

Originally Posted by HoKo (Post 24936684)
Have you read any of this thread for the past week? Based on what appear to be the new Chase rules for their non co-brand cards it is completely irrelevant how much money you spent w/ Chase and which specific cards you have with them. You could have put a million dollars on your CSP over the past year but due to the fact that Chase's computers will not allow any sort of approval for someone w/ 5 or more new accounts in the past 2 years it wont matter. So the question you need to be asking yourself is not did I spend enough on my chase cards, the proper question is: how many new accounts have I opened over the past 2 years. If that number is 5 or more then your chances of approval are slim to none.

diseased Jun 8, 2015 11:21 am

Originally Posted by lotrbfme (Post 24937052)
Are you a Chase Private Client?

No.

snic Jun 8, 2015 11:32 am

Originally Posted by HoKo (Post 24936684)
Have you read any of this thread for the past week? Based on what appear to be the new Chase rules for their non co-brand cards it is completely irrelevant how much money you spent w/ Chase and which specific cards you have with them. You could have put a million dollars on your CSP over the past year but due to the fact that Chase's computers will not allow any sort of approval for someone w/ 5 or more new accounts in the past 2 years it wont matter. So the question you need to be asking yourself is not did I spend enough on my chase cards, the proper question is: how many new accounts have I opened over the past 2 years. If that number is 5 or more then your chances of approval are slim to none.

To be fair (to me) the discussion of 5 or more new cards in the past 2 years mostly occurred in this thread, which I missed because the title didn't seem relevant to my question.

So I applied for the Freedom, got the deferred decision result, and called Chase. They told me it was denied because I opened >5 cards in the last 2 years, mostly (but not all) with Chase. I pitched a fit and pointed out that I have a long history with Chase, been an excellent customer, excellent credit, never a late payment, spent well over 6 figures on their cards, and this is a slap in the face - do you really want to lose me as a customer? Because you are telling me you no longer want me as a customer and if that's the case then I will, soon, cancel all of my cards and move my business elsewhere.

Well, that got me to the next level of representative, to whom I repeated the fit-pitching above. The lever that moved this agent was my statement that it was incorrect that I had >5 applications in 2 years. The agent said they were including cards on which I'm an authorized user, and in the end was able to get only my primary cards to count in the total. That number is <5, so finally the card was approved.

My theory is that had I *not* been a good past customer, the agent would not have chosen to apply this alternative version of card number accounting. So in the end, I think my history with Chase did matter.

starbuk Jun 8, 2015 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by snic (Post 24937483)
So in the end, I think my history with Chase did matter.

..this is such a nuance and small segment of people that it really doesn't change anything. Truth is, your AU vs Primary discussion would not have even come up if it were not for the new, more strict Chase rules for non-cobranded cards.

snic Jun 8, 2015 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk (Post 24937681)
..this is such a nuance and small segment of people that it really doesn't change anything. Truth is, your AU vs Primary discussion would not have even come up if it were not for the new, more strict Chase rules for non-cobranded cards.

You're right that it doesn't change the big picture - this new policy of Chase's is still rigid and short-sighted. But if you DO have a long, positive history with Chase, it could help to point that out to a 2nd-level agent - especially if you are over the limit only if you include authorized users' cards.

RNE Jun 8, 2015 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by snic (Post 24937483)
My theory is that had I *not* been a good past customer, the agent would not have chosen to apply this alternative version of card number accounting. So in the end, I think my history with Chase did matter.

RNE, having long advised: Be a good business partner with Chase—but don't be afraid to use that leverage when you need to.

starbuk Jun 8, 2015 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 24937916)

RNE, having long advised: Be a good business partner with Chase—but don't be afraid to use that leverage when you need to.

Yes, long advised... if you have so many AUs that it pushes you above 5 apps.. and speculating that Chase would have counted the AUs for a "Bad" customer.. We are really digging deep to make this YMMV into something that should be engraved on a stone tablet.

Just to be clear - they still are not giving away non branded cards to excellent Chase customers with more than 5 cards acquired in the last 2 years, correct?

snic Jun 8, 2015 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by starbuk (Post 24938260)
Just to be clear - they still are not giving away non branded cards to excellent Chase customers with more than 5 cards acquired in the last 2 years, correct?

That seems to be the case. So far I haven't see any reports of "excellent Chase customers" with >5 card openings in 24 months (excluding AUs) threatening to cancel every last card and seeing where that takes them. Seriously, given the amount I spend, I have a hard time believing that Chase has lost money on me over the past 10 years despite the card-opening bonus points they've given me. If someone empowered to look at the entire equation gets to look at an application, they might conclude the same thing. The problem is actually getting connected to that person.

Of course, realistically, this new rule will slow down my rate of new Chase applications - I'm not inclined to become the guinea pig customer I just described above. Citi and Amex have plenty to preoccupy me with.

Daniel Jun 8, 2015 3:21 pm

Applied for UA Business Card using my business name as my name and SS# at the same address I've held with Chase for 15+ yrs.

Received letter from fraud operations indicating "we can't evaluate your request because we're not able to confirm the information in the application..." requested documents or statements that validate Name of Company, Verification of tax ID, proof of current business physical address.

So do you recommend sending a copy of my social security number, a recent utility bill and note the business is the same as the individual (me) as sufficient? Does this letter indicate they haven't even started determining if they will extend credit or simply that I have one final step to receive approval?

It sounds simple enough but I don't want to step on any land mines in how I respond.

Brugge Jun 8, 2015 6:43 pm

Yes, if you have impeccable history with Chase, and find yourself in a situation where you have less than 5 apps, with ANY BANK AT ALL, in over TWO YEARS, then RNE's advice is valuable. For those of us who consider 5 apps a "moderate AoR", utterly useless.....

What good is it to get your Chase app approved, and only by pulling DYKWIA at that, if you can only do that by passing up the 38 AMEX, B of A, Barclays, Citi, Chase, and US Bank cards you could have otherwise gotten in that time frame. :(

This "be a good customer with Chase" advice is, as I said previously, SO last month. Now Chase could care less. Auto denied for having "AU" cards, which most of us only get when the app offer is "get an AU card and we'll give you another 5K miles/points"? :confused: This is the most retarded thing I have ever heard of in decades of playing the Miles and Points Game. :mad:

philemer Jun 8, 2015 9:43 pm

Mod. hat on-

Y'all need to knock off the snark. Play nice.

Mod. hat off-

italdesign Jun 8, 2015 11:05 pm

Apparently a few individuals with many new accounts were still approved for UR cards recently. It's not clear if they got it before the new rules went live. We need more experiments and more data points.

pianistat Jun 8, 2015 11:20 pm

Can I ask the people that were denied and read over the phone all of their opened accounts in the last 2 years, did Chase reps counted all opened business accounts as well as personal?
Of course they can see and likely count as part of the 5 accounts their own Business accounts, but I am hoping they cannot see/don't count other banks opened business accounts in the last 24 months. Thanks

maxmnx Jun 8, 2015 11:30 pm

I'm really interested in the success rate of non-UR cards. In particular, Marriott & Hyatt.