Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Since we have two threads that both address travel delay & cancellation issues we have decided to close this thread and all future discussion will be in this thread

For an overview of when you're covered and how to file a claim, read this blog post. I compiled a lot of information from this thread, so thank you to all the contributors!

Trip Delay Reimbursement Claim Reports: Post details of your claim under your eligible card. Include the date, reason for delay, length of delay, a general overview of expenses, and anything else you found interesting.

Chase Sapphire Preferred
*01/2014 - Delayed in MSP overnight due to mechanical issues. ~$300 for Hotel Ivy downtown, meals, and ground transportation covered with no issues. Benefits applied to AMEX FHR. Claim processed within 1 week. [Full Report]

*04/2014 - Delayed in DTW overnight due to crew member time-out. ~$400 for DTW Westin and meals covered with no issues. Claim processed within 1 week. Full Report

*07/2016 - Delayed in YYC overnight due to mechanical problems. Claim paid out ~$300. Full report.

Chase Sapphire

United MileagePlus Explorer (personal and business)
*07/2014- Delayed in MSP overnight due to weather at destination. Booked Marriott Mall of America for $120, and meals for 3 and a shirt were all covered. I recommend keeping your current BP for the canceled or delayed flight instead of throwing them away. Makes life a bit easier.

*12/2014 - Trip delay in Washington D.C. (My US Airways flight was delayed because of an equipment problem so I missed my connecting flight and was forced to stay overnight). I was flying on air miles but smartly used my Chase United Explorer Visa to pay the taxes and fees for our flights. Since there were 2 of us (me and my wife) we were eligible up to $1000 total in reimbursements for the 2 tickets. Approved for $632 for a for a 1 night room, dinner, and taxi roundtrip from the airport. Sent in the paperwork immediately after I got back via email and within 2 weeks I got the approval email and a week later got the check! Gratuity was not reimbursed and could not convince them to after a phone call. Hotel Was $380 after tax and this was not a problem.

United MileagePlus Club (personal and business)

Any Ink Business Card (Plus, Bold, Cash)

* 1/2017 - $625 covered on two tickets (myself & family member non-business trip). I used my Ink Plus card to pay taxes on a JetBlue flight that missed a connection due to mechanical maintenance.
Got paid out $625

Used Chase Ink Plus to pay for taxes on my JetBlue award ticket. Traveling with a family member (non-biz related trip).

-$65 from Walgreens (various items)
- 3 Uber rides (to/from hotel, to home)
- Hotel (~$265 after tax) breakfast was included with my hotel status
- $180 meal

They ended up covering tax, tip, and alcohol on my meal. Missed connection was in FLL, we decided to go have a 24 hour holiday in Miami.

Marriot Premier Rewards

Chase Hyatt
Print Wikipost

Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Pt, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by meerkatani
Hey guys,

I just bought two tickets for my parents with my CSP card and then this hit me. Does CSP cover the trip if I'm not flying with them? If not, would it help if I add one of them as an authorized user?

Thanks!
Yes. There is a box that says "Relationship of Cardholder to Claimant", just check "Other" and put down parents. In the next box, check "No" for "Did Cardholder accompany the Claimant on the trip?"
Old Feb 13, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Data point. For the last month I've been trying to file a trip delay claim and it's been a hellish nightmare due to it not being a straight-forward itinerary/situation (maybe normal people have those, but we're savvy travelers).

What they're looking for: the claimed flight is on the original itinerary confirmation with the charged $$ matching the CC statement.

My situation:
1. I changed the itinerary when a better flight became available.
2. I misconnected the changed flight and was rebooked at the gate. The rebooked flight was cancelled due to weather and that's the one I'm claiming. Of course since it was rebooked at the gate, AA didn't email me a confirmation so I have little to prove that I was actually rebooked on that flight.
3. There was no charge for the rebooked flight.

Trying to explain that and getting them to understand has been a nightmare. Making it that much harder is the fact that I can never get ahold of my claim examiner. Of the 6-7 times I've called in and faxed additional documents and regurgitate the same thing I explained last time, I've talked to a different agent every time and every time it takes them 20 minutes just to understand the basic situation. Then it's up to them to communicate the information to the examiner. You know how that's turned out.

Bottom line: if you have a straight forward itinerary, it could be quick. If you have a complicated itin (which many savvy travelers do, I have to imagine), be prepared to pull your hair out. Every 3 days.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by italdesign
Data point. For the last month I've been trying to file a trip delay claim and it's been a hellish nightmare due to it not being a straight-forward itinerary/situation (maybe normal people have those, but we're savvy travelers).

What they're looking for: the claimed flight is on the original itinerary confirmation with the charged $$ matching the CC statement.

My situation:
2. I misconnected the changed flight and was rebooked at the gate. The rebooked flight was cancelled due to weather and that's the one I'm claiming. Of course since it was rebooked at the gate, AA didn't email me a confirmation so I have little to prove that I was actually rebooked on that flight.
3. There was no charge for the rebooked flight.

Trying to explain that and getting them to understand has been a nightmare. Making it that much harder is the fact that I can never get ahold of my claim examiner. Of the 6-7 times I've called in and faxed additional documents and regurgitate the same thing I explained last time, I've talked to a different agent every time and every time it takes them 20 minutes just to understand the basic situation. Then it's up to them to communicate the information to the examiner. You know how that's turned out.

Bottom line: if you have a straight forward itinerary, it could be quick. If you have a complicated itin (which many savvy travelers do, I have to imagine), be prepared to pull your hair out. Every 3 days.
I had a similar situation. Booked US SFO-PHX-SAN. Weather delayed the first flight so I was going to misconnect, so they rebooked me SFO-LAX-SAN on AA. I still misconnected and had to spend the night. I had them leave a note for the examiner to call me, and only once that phone call took place did she understand enough to approve the claim.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I had a similar situation. Booked US SFO-PHX-SAN. Weather delayed the first flight so I was going to misconnect, so they rebooked me SFO-LAX-SAN on AA. I still misconnected and had to spend the night. I had them leave a note for the examiner to call me, and only once that phone call took place did she understand enough to approve the claim.
Yeah, I have a feeling if I actually talk to her, it would be a lot easier. It just happens my cell phone doesn't get signal at work, and my work schedule completely overlaps with theirs (so I've missed her call every time). But I am going to call her from work and hopefully catch her then. Good to know yours worked out.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by italdesign

My situation:
2. I misconnected the changed flight and was rebooked at the gate. The rebooked flight was cancelled due to weather and that's the one I'm claiming. Of course since it was rebooked at the gate, AA didn't email me a confirmation so I have little to prove that I was actually rebooked on that flight....
This is a very interesting case - thanks for sharing.

I think you're right in that the trouble is that the carrier on the delayed segment differs from the Common Carrier that charged your card.

If I were to take a super stringent interpretation of the rule, I would say that you are not covered. Technically, when you are re-booked on another airline, your new flight is paid for by your original airline. The terms clearly state that only flights charged to your credit card are eligible.

But if they were to go with the spirit of the agreement (and I hope they do), you should be covered. In these cases, perhaps some sort of statements (e.g., military excuse) from both the new and original airlines explaining the situation might help.

In any case, keep use updated!

edit

Totally forgot that AA/US merged. In that case, you should definitely be covered, unless your claims examiner is particularly nit-picky and finds some weird clause in the merger agreement.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:52 pm

I just got notified of the approval of my hotel when I was stranded in Dallas recently. The first time, I did not include the credit card statement, so they sent me an email asking for it. When I sent it in, they approved it without any further issues.

Except for calling in initially to get the form, everything was done via email. Overall, not a convenient process, but not an especially frustrating one.

Going forward, I'm going to make an effort to book any winter travel on a chase card with these protections included.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Cruise Ship adrift in Arabian Sea due to 'tainted' fuel ...

An unfortunate debacle which interrupted/delayed our arrival at port of arrival, resulted in ship towed to Duqm Oman (just over the border from Yemen)
Twelve hour BUS journey full of Americans to DuBai with resultant cancellation and re confirmation of hotel and travel reservations....all travel, both pre and post incident purchased with CSP CC
Upon claim submission told that CUBB Group will not cover any expenses due to trip interruption ???
Referred to another insurer for possible 'Trip Delay' coverage ...
Thoughts ?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
On the Citi Prestige, does the FULL amount have to be charged to the card? Or can it be partial like the CSP? (such as with award fuel surcharges)
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by travel_mav
On the Citi Prestige, does the FULL amount have to be charged to the card? Or can it be partial like the CSP? (such as with award fuel surcharges)
Full amount required on Prestige per Citi's guidelines. I was researching this today myself
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:08 pm

What defines overnight, exactly?

I think it's clear-cut if a flight to leave at 7:55pm is cancelled and you can't get rebooked until 6:00am, that's overnight... but what if your 1:55 AM departure is cancelled and you can't get out until 5:45 AM, does that count as overnight?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
What defines overnight, exactly?

I think it's clear-cut if a flight to leave at 7:55pm is cancelled and you can't get rebooked until 6:00am, that's overnight... but what if your 1:55 AM departure is cancelled and you can't get out until 5:45 AM, does that count as overnight?
According to the T&C's, "overnight" is not defined. In response to your hypothetical example, my best advice would be to be as "reasonable" as possible. It is probably not "reasonable" to spend nearly $500 on ground transportation and a luxe hotel for a ~3 hour delay, even if it is during the wee hours of the morning.

But maybe something like a quick meal or emergency toiletries would be reasonable and necessary. In such a case, your biggest risk is Chase saying that your delay was too "brief" to be considered overnight.

To minimize this risk, I would get a military excuse and ask the customer service representative to specifically state that you were required to stay "overnight" at the airport. That way, it's your word + the carrier's word against Chase's.

Full amount required on Prestige per Citi's guidelines. I was researching this today myself
I was looking into this too. In fact, I discovered Piktochart at work today and I threw together a comparison while I should've probably been more productive.

I'd really appreciate candid feedback, especially on incorrect or missing information (i.e. a card I didn't include). You can also feel free to nit-pick over the mal-aligned shapes, but remember this is a draft!

DRAFT: Citi-Chase Trip Delay Comparison Infographic

Last edited by SansSerif; Mar 11, 2015 at 7:51 pm
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Originally Posted by SansSerif
I was looking into this too. In fact, I discovered Piktochart at work today and I threw together a comparison while I should've probably been more productive.

I'd really appreciate candid feedback, especially on incorrect or missing information (i.e. a card I didn't include). You can also feel free to nit-pick over the mal-aligned shapes, but remember this is a draft!

DRAFT: Citi-Chase Trip Delay Comparison Infographic
An excellent start! I would also see about including the Barclaycard Arrival+ in the comparison, and perhaps a side note explaining the Award Ticket Coverage section. For Citi specifically, I am curious if TYP redeemed directly for travel are the only ones eligible as opposed to TYP transferred to the airline.

Last edited by travel_mav; Mar 12, 2015 at 9:10 am
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:13 am

I have sent a message to Chase requesting detail on how they define "overnight."
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travel_mav
An excellent start! I would also see about including the Barclaycard Arrival+ in the comparison, and perhaps a side note explaining the Award Ticket Coverage section. For Citi specifically, I am curious if TYP redeemed directly for travel are the only ones eligible as opposed to TYP transferred to the airline.
Thanks! I'll definitely look into the Barclaycard.

And my understanding is that it is TYP redeemed directly for travel, though that is all hearsay since I don't have a Citicard myself.

Also, does anyone know if trip delay applies if you book travel using 100% UR points through Chase's booking portal? And does anyone know if the Southwest Premier card has this benefit?

Last edited by SansSerif; Mar 12, 2015 at 12:33 pm
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:11 pm

Nice graphic... Something to take a (brief) look at are the differences between Visa Signature & Mastercard-branded cards. Some of these banks issue the same product in both flavours (ie: Chase Freedom comes in both Visa & MC flavours, not sure about CSP or the others), and I'm not certain the trip delay benefits are the same if it's branded as a MC vs. Visa Sig.

Also might be worthwhile to explore what sort of charges are actually included/excluded by card/bank as well. I'd imagine some would cover hotels only, etc.

Last edited by KRSW; Mar 12, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.