FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1521365-chase-sapphire-preferred-travel-delay-protection.html)

SansSerif Nov 11, 2013 1:23 pm

Chase Sapphire Preferred: Travel Delay Protection

Original post:

I had originally thought that the CSP travel delay protection benefit was limited to $300, but a Chase rep just told me my limit is $500. Has this changed recently?

Also, has anyone heard of travel expenses being denied under this benefit? I don't plan on using it for anything other than hotels, transportation, and meals, but I usually book through AMEX FHR for hotels. A one-night stay alone could easily push me right up against (or beyond) the $500 limit, and I wouldn't want that expense to be denied for being perceived as "unreasonable."

Edit; 15 October 2014

The wiki is now live! Please feel free to share your trip delay stories above.

MDtR-Chicago Nov 14, 2013 12:21 am

Originally Posted by SansSerif (Post 21766445)
I had originally thought that the CSP travel delay protection benefit was limited to $300, but a Chase rep just told me my limit is $500. Has this changed recently?

Also, has anyone heard of travel expenses being denied under this benefit?

The comparable coverage on the Explorer card recently went up to $500. As for what's "reasonable", see my experiences in this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20241536-post588.html

(I would expect that the coverage on the CSP is either identical or very similar.)

SansSerif Nov 14, 2013 11:36 pm

Thank you - that info was helpful.

Just to make sure, you didn't have to pay your delay expenses (food, ground transportation, etc.) with your card? As long as you submitted all the necessary documentation?

MDtR-Chicago Nov 15, 2013 12:20 am

Originally Posted by SansSerif (Post 21788360)
Just to make sure, you didn't have to pay your delay expenses (food, ground transportation, etc.) with your card? As long as you submitted all the necessary documentation?

That is correct, tho I did use it for quite a few - trying to be a good sport.

The only requirement is that part of the original fare needs to be on the card.

bigbellytraveler Nov 15, 2013 5:27 pm

wow I wish I had known about this type of protection.

recently was on the iad-bah trip that had a rat on the plane and caused the trip to be pushed back a day.

would have been nice to get a comped meal from my credit card instead of a poor 14 dollar food voucher from UA.

nookanaya Nov 16, 2013 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by bigbellytraveler (Post 21792856)
recently was on the iad-bah trip that had a rat on the plane and caused the trip to be pushed back a day.

Only one rat? LSG couldn't just turn that into another burger and get going?

I've used the trip delay reimbursement feature of the Explorer card without issue, so I would expect CSP to be about the same. You do not have to pay the meals and hotel with the same card you used to book the trip. But it's not handled by Chase, rather by Enhancement Services. They tend to ask for copious documentation, so be prepared to do a lot of mailing.

TOMFORD Nov 19, 2013 5:29 am

Sorry to hijack the thread - but what do you need to do if airfare you purchased using your card is delayed? Keep all the receipts for the food/lodging expenses and then just send a secure message to Chase?

MDtR-Chicago Nov 19, 2013 7:54 am

Originally Posted by agp423 (Post 21811696)
Sorry to hijack the thread - but what do you need to do if airfare you purchased using your card is delayed? Keep all the receipts for the food/lodging expenses and then just send a secure message to Chase?

You have to call "Enhancement Services". The number is in the benefits guide or the main CS can transfer you. They'll take down the general information on the incident then send you a form to fill out. You either postal mail or fax the form back with all of the documentation they want.

SansSerif Nov 19, 2013 1:40 pm

What was the turnaround time from the day you sent in all the required materials to the day you received your check in the mail?

nookanaya Nov 19, 2013 3:20 pm

It took 6 weeks for mine (or 9 weeks from when I called them, but then it took a while to get proof of delay from the airline).

MDtR-Chicago Nov 19, 2013 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by SansSerif (Post 21814786)
What was the turnaround time from the day you sent in all the required materials to the day you received your check in the mail?

As I recall, after a week, then again after another week, I had to send more documentation. Then after about 2 weeks, I had the check. So figure around a month in total. Maybe 6 weeks.

doss1 Dec 10, 2013 6:51 am

Flight canceled...didn't know I could have gotten reimbursed for hotel/meals from CC!

Hi all,
I recently had my flight canceled due to weather and had to spend money out of my pocket to stay at a hotel that night. However, I was reading over some of the information about my CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED card and saw that one of the perks offered by this card is the following:

"When a covered trip is delayed more than 12 hours or requires an overnight stay due to a covered event, expenses incurred as a result of the delay, such as meals and lodging, can be reimbursed."

Unfortunatly, my company paid for the flight, so my card was not used. If I had use this card to pay for the flight, would I have been able to get reimbursed for my hotel and meals? That's pretty neat. I had no idea something like this was available for certain cards. I will definitely use this card again in the future.

PVDtoDEL Jan 21, 2014 8:58 pm

Is a misconnect considered a travel delay?

canadiancow Jan 27, 2014 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by doss1 (Post 21938226)
Hi all,
I recently had my flight canceled due to weather and had to spend money out of my pocket to stay at a hotel that night. However, I was reading over some of the information about my CHASE SAPPHIRE PREFERRED card and saw that one of the perks offered by this card is the following:

"When a covered trip is delayed more than 12 hours or requires an overnight stay due to a covered event, expenses incurred as a result of the delay, such as meals and lodging, can be reimbursed."

Unfortunatly, my company paid for the flight, so my card was not used. If I had use this card to pay for the flight, would I have been able to get reimbursed for my hotel and meals? That's pretty neat. I had no idea something like this was available for certain cards. I will definitely use this card again in the future.

I assume your company paid for your expenses though, so probably not a big deal :p

I have to use a corporate card for corporate travel, so I don't get these benefits, but I don't need them when the company's paying.

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 22198586)
Is a misconnect considered a travel delay?

If a misconnect involves a 12 hour or overnight delay, and the misconnect wasn't your fault, then I assume you're fine.

I filed a claim last week. I had to overnight in ORD after UA canceled my connection due to weather. I made sure I got the delay verification from in the United Club before leaving.

They said I could email the claim form, so I did that rather than fax or mail. I haven't heard anything back though. I'm hoping this all goes smoothly :)

Definitely my favorite benefit of the card.

Dieuwer Jan 27, 2014 6:46 pm

A Chase rep told me that travel delay due to weather is not covered.