Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Ulitmate Rewards vs Starwood Preferred Guest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

I can't seem to find a general consensus on this from searching around, so would just like to know which card offers better travel rewards?

I currently have the Chase Sapphire preferred, but unfortunately signed up for it with only a 10k points promo. I was just on the phone with a chase rep who told me I could close account and reapply for 50,000 points, would it be worth it?

Also, as you can tell I'm new to credit card reward programs and still have a lot to learn. I have read you can get business class tickets from the east coast to Europe for 50-60k points. I currently have 38k chase points and am going on trip to Buenos Aires, could I possibly get anything in business class for same amount of points if I buy some extra points from someone?

Thanks
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by R2134
I can't seem to find a general consensus on this from searching around, so would just like to know which card offers better travel rewards?

I currently have the Chase Sapphire preferred, but unfortunately signed up for it with only a 10k points promo. I was just on the phone with a chase rep who told me I could close account and reapply for 50,000 points, would it be worth it?
When did you originally apply for this card?

As far as the difference between the two cards, it really just depends on your spending. The CSP offers double points on dining and travel expenses which for some people add up extremely fast. The SPG gives you fairly good redemptions on hotels, especially with their cash and points option.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

August, I'm more interested in redemptions for flights. Would CSP be the better option?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:46 pm

August, I'm more interested in redemptions for flights. Would CSP be the better option?
In my opinion yes. You have more flexibility with transfer partners and you do have everyday expenses that are 2pts/$1.

With SPG you can get 1.25pts/$1 but you have to transfer 20k at a time I believe to get the 5k bonus. Someone can correct me on this if I'm off, but I believe that's the correct amount.

That's interesting though that you applied in August and they said you can apply again and get the bonus this time as well. They didn't say there was a waiting time between closing and reapplying? I can't see them awarding the bonus twice within that short of time period. I would double check that information to be 100% certain before you apply again. Otherwise, I think you're going to have a rush of people looking to churn this card ASAP!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:57 pm

Usually with Chase, if you applied for an offer less than the best one available, you can send a secure message and ask them to make up the difference in points without opening a new account. I think its might only be for accounts opened in the last 3 months, but its worth a try.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by samdori
Usually with Chase, if you applied for an offer less than the best one available, you can send a secure message and ask them to make up the difference in points without opening a new account. I think its might only be for accounts opened in the last 3 months, but its worth a try.
Is sending a secure message any different than calling them?

Also, can I do anything with 40k points for JFK-EZE trip?
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:11 pm

Is sending a secure message any different than calling them?

Also, can I do anything with 40k points for JFK-EZE trip?
Usually SM is better since you can have it in writing and sometimes the SM reps tend to be a little more generous with bumping bonuses or giving extra points.

As far as 40k points, you might be able to get business one way if you find a way to get to 50k, but a R/T in business would be out of the question. You could get a coach R/T for 50k by transferring points to BA.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: DL, WoH
UR vs SPG

I have been debating getting an SPG card for quite awhile now (months). I have primarily focused on obtaining UR points in various ways through Ink Bold, Sapphire, and Freedom. The category bonuses are very enticing and allow me to accumulate a lot faster and I've built a heft balance of UR points.

I already have a hyatt card, which I intend to keep for the free night and other perks, would it be beneficial to get into the starwood program? I see a large value in the points, but if there is no way to accumulate them fast is it even worth it even with a 25000 point signup bonus? I'd have to spend $1000 to get 1000 points. Even if each point was worth 2-4c I can't seem to find any benefit in spending that much...I could be way wrong here, but I am looking for some advice on the starwood program vs UR points. Should I go for the card, or keep my current setup Ink Bold, Sapphire, Hyatt, Freedom. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by ricohitman
I have been debating getting an SPG card for quite awhile now (months). I have primarily focused on obtaining UR points in various ways through Ink Bold, Sapphire, and Freedom. The category bonuses are very enticing and allow me to accumulate a lot faster and I've built a heft balance of UR points.

I already have a hyatt card, which I intend to keep for the free night and other perks, would it be beneficial to get into the starwood program? I see a large value in the points, but if there is no way to accumulate them fast is it even worth it even with a 25000 point signup bonus? I'd have to spend $1000 to get 1000 points. Even if each point was worth 2-4c I can't seem to find any benefit in spending that much...I could be way wrong here, but I am looking for some advice on the starwood program vs UR points. Should I go for the card, or keep my current setup Ink Bold, Sapphire, Hyatt, Freedom. Thanks in advance.
Alot of people say SPG points are the most valuable out there. first due to flexibility of the many partners and the 25% when transfering to an airline once u transfer 20k(except United).

My personal experience, i signed up for the card and got the 25k and got a 6 night stay with cash and points for a great rate and value . I agree its hard to obtain the points as its 1:1 but for some its worth when you get the 25% transfer or use C&P at a stay.

I have the same set up as you with UR and agree its much easier to gain UL points with the 5x on Ink cards, sapphire and freedome. I hit bonus categories on UL and use SPG for everything else to get starpoints for hotel stays or eventually if i have high spend the 20k points for a 25k transfer to BA or other partners.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 9:48 am
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Two threads have been combined. See also:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...preferred.html
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by longhorn11
That's interesting though that you applied in August and they said you can apply again and get the bonus this time as well. They didn't say there was a waiting time between closing and reapplying? I can't see them awarding the bonus twice within that short of time period. I would double check that information to be 100% certain before you apply again. Otherwise, I think you're going to have a rush of people looking to churn this card ASAP!
This makes me think OP really just has the Sapphire, not preferred, as the sign on bonus for that is 10,000 UR points, so if he was to get the CSP, he would be eligible for the 40-50k bonus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.